3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I admit, I still dont get it  (Read 697 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
I admit, I still dont get it
« on: April 03, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
So I know I dont always pick up on everything immediately, but this ones really getting me...

Why in the world does a three under most always sound louder (even if it's just to the shooter).

It seems to me that your draw hand is directly behind the bow hand (as opposed to being above it like split).

Why oh why is it louder? If it is louder isn't that a sign that it isnt working as slick for whatever reason? What the heck am I missing friends?

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I admit, I still dont get it
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
I think it has something to do with the arrow nock being closer to the apex of the draw with split.  Imagine the instant you let go of the string. With 3 under, there's 3 fingers worth of slack under the nock, and none above the nock, that has to be taken up before the weight of the bow hits the nock.  With split, there's still a little more under the nock than above, but it's more evenly distributed. Just a guess.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
i always wondered the same thing.  The first time i tried 3 under i thought I broke my bow.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Would/does a bow tillered for 3 under reduce this noise? McDave's answer seems pretty on point, I always figured it has to do with the uneven travel of the string above and below the nock.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
I'm with ya knotter. I like the idea of 3 under, but it feels like there is something wrong every time I try it.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
I never shoot 3 under any more...if I lean that way I shoot 2 under which seems quieter on average than 3...if the bow is still too noisy that way I shoot 3 finger split...this year my goal is to develop a solid 2 finger split (Flemish) release...so far for me it is just as quiet as 3 split...with 20 or so bows if I had to know exactly why each performs the way they do I would be spending way too much time trying to understand and not enough time shooting

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm with ya knotter. I like the idea of 3 under, but it feels like there is something wrong every time I try it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
That might be the additional sound of the angels crying when you use three fingers under.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
That sounds like the most reasonable theory to me stumpkiller.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Tillering for three under will only change nock point height slightly. NO affect on quietness.

I wish I knew the answer too.
 when I'm shooting with back tension and relaxed hand/arm, my bow is quiet as a whisper. When I'm tensed, it twangs.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
That sounds like the most reasonable theory to me stumpkiller.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
Good one Stump.   :pray:
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 01:11:00 AM »
I tried to play around with the noise issue also. I have an ILF bow so I can adjust the tiller how I want. Some where about 25 years ago I read "to tiller a bow for 3 under, set the limbs at 0 tiller". That is where I started and while it was quiter it was still noisy to me. I played with it by moving tiller, string silentcers nock point arrow weight etc. OK says I, I do not have the know how to fix the noise issue so I moved on.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 05:24:00 AM »
Never had the problem no matter what bow I used, for me it's all about the release as Big Jim says. Most people who shoot split probably have more tension on the string with the finger directly under the arrow anyway, which if you think about it is the same when you shoot 3 under, at least that is how I do it. Maybe if you are shooting 3 Under from check finger pressure you might need to adjust which finger is hold more of the string weight.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 05:46:00 AM »
I think Stumpkiller nailed it!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
I also agree with Big Jim. I do think however that you need to be more conscious of the weight distribution on the fingers when shooting 3-under. A lot of shooters put too much weight on the ring finger, stressing the lower limb more and throwing off the timing. Try to maintain 50% on middle finger, 40% on index, and only 10% on ring finger.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by mahantango:
I also agree with Big Jim. I do think however that you need to be more conscious of the weight distribution on the fingers when shooting 3-under. A lot of shooters put too much weight on the ring finger, stressing the lower limb more and throwing off the timing. Try to maintain 50% on middle finger, 40% on index, and only 10% on ring finger.
Yep
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Never had a problem with noise shooting three under. String walking is another story
Self reliance cannot be bought

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
For me I have always shot three under I have done some testing for myself with Ipad filming my self shooting my bow. It is louder when I shoot off the tips of my fingers and when I take a deep hook with my fingers and relack my hand my bow a lot more quieter also notes that it I didn't keep my string strait when I made my draw it was loader.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Sound of fingers brushing the string.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement