3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another string question  (Read 420 times)

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Another string question
« on: April 04, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Why do some string makers want the string measured off the bow and others want it measured on the bow at your desired brace height?
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another string question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Not a string maker, but my guess would be they want it measured in a way that gives them confidence they are getting an accurate measurement they can duplicate. I always find it difficult to measure a string for a recurve when it is on the bow and feel more comfortable measuring it off the bow.

If I make the measurement off the bow, is it stretched between two pegs under fairly heavy tension? If so, how much tension? Or is it just hanging free?

If I measure it on the bow, am I measuring to the beginning of the loop and then adding the length of the loop?

I'm sure each string maker has his own nightmare stories of dissatisfied customers because of incorrect measurements. I'm always amazed at how accurately they can accommodate our needs, but the good news is that the string length doesn't have to be done in thousandths of an inch and can be adjusted slightly by twisting or untwisting to get it just right.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Off the bow they will shrink a little as the bundles relax....if it has been on bow for a bit and is at your proper brace height then they can make one that brackets the upper/lower acceptable limits so you dont have to twist up or down too much.

I have only had them ask me for bow length...or actual length of string...never on or off bow being specified.  On the lower stretch material it really does not make a big difference if the bundles and twists are tight to start with.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
I'm not sure. I like mine to be measured off the bow.  
 It would be real nice if everyone measured strings like hoyt does on there recurves. (And all compound manufators) String at 100lb of tension on a .25" peg.  That makes it easy.  But not many people have a way to measure that

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I've been measuring the my last few strings both ways - strung on bow and off the bow stretched taut - and have found they measure
the same, or close enough not to matter.
I'll still measure them both ways though.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
With the new, low stretch strings, I think the amount of tension is not as critical as it is with a bulky B-50 string.

What's worked well for me, and I've ordered strings from several of the sponsors on here, is measuring off the bow.

I have two wooden blocks with 3/16" brass pegs in them (OK, not 1/4"). I clamp one to my workbench, put the string over the peg and slip the other loop over the other peg, pushing the string tight and then clamp it to the bench. Then I tap the one of the blocks with my leather mallet until I get a "fair amount" of tension on the string until it sounds about like it would if plucked gently on the bow. I've ordered the string to that length and told the string maker how I measured it and have yet to be disappointed.

Probably not the way the string maker would prefer to get measurements, but as long as he knows how I measured it, the string has always come the way I want it.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks everybody. I was curious cause I have two different bows that are both marked 60" when I measured the strings off the bow they were the same length but with the bow braced and set to my desired brace height one was 1/2 inch longer.
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
By the way when I measured off the bow I had no tension on them.
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©