3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ideas for using a couple of furs for a quiver? UPDATED w/Pics  (Read 750 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a couple of furs that have some sentimental value to me, that have been sitting on a shelf or hanging on a nail for years.  I've always wanted a fancy back quiver for stumping and shooting around, and am thinking of turning these furs into a quiver somehow.  Probably wouldn't want to hunt with it, except maybe small game from time to time.

I'd like a quiver that conforms around my back, rather than a stiff one.  And maybe use the beaver fur on the inside to quiet down my aluminum arrows.  Other than that, I don't have any great ideas.

The badger is about 40+ years old, but looks good.  My dad shot it long ago with his bow.  The beaver is about 10 years old, and was a gift from a close friend, a beaver trapper.

I'd be mighty appreciative of some quiver pictures or suggestions.  If the cost was reasonable, I wouldn't even mind paying someone who knows how to do it right, to put the right quiver together for me.  But for now I'm thinking more about doing it myself.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ideas for using a couple of furs for a quiver? UPDATED w/Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
This is one I made recently to donate to the raffle table at the Tenn. Classic...

...and this one I made for a friend in Oklahoma...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
Take lots of pictures along the way Archie, would be great to see them...

Pat... love that quiver, great job.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I can't wait to see the finished quiver.  Gonna be cool !

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
You guys are making me nervous now.  If my creation turns out to be a real dud, I'll have to suddenly go AWOL here!

The badger is pretty cool... My dad passed away 8 years ago, and about 2 years ago I went to my old hometown where dad lived, and was looking at a slide presentation he had put together for his archery shop back in the late 60's or early 70's.  I saw a picture of him with this badger that he'd shot with a 3-blade Bodkin.   Later that day I was looking through some old boxes in the garage, and there, all rolled up, was the badger skin -- with a 3-blade broadhead hole in it.  It had probably been stored away there for decades.  I packed it up and brought it home, and now I want to do something special with it.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I'm going to be watching this one with interest. I also have a beaver pelt that I would like to convert to a quiver. I'm thinking along the lines of beaver on the outside with leather trim. Sure could use some more inspiration, though.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Stump Buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Wish I had some ideas for ya, but all I could do was bookmark this page for a later look see. Can't wait to see the results.
In the wind, he's still alive...

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I think in the build along forum theres some quiver builds along the hill style. You may consider sort of a 2 layer quiver, use a soft leather found in places like Hobby Lobby and join your skin to it. I made a soft leather quiver using just the one piece but covering it in a hide wouldn't be hard I wouldnt think. That would allow you to have a properly shaped quiver without worrying about the shape variances that a badger shaped hide would have.  Save the head/neck for a cover flap or if too small to use as an outer cover for a small pouch?
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
So, picture this un-sewn- its just a rectangle sewn together inside out with sinew and then shellacted for rigidity and then turn right side out. With it unsewn you'd just affix your hide to it as much of an area as possible.
(I am NOT touting my quiver as good craftsmanship, a seamstress i am not!)

ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far... keep them coming!  If anyone has any comments about facing some fur to the inside of the quiver, I'd appreciate it.  

I may have some old, somewhat matted black bear and mountain lion hides coming in the mail... old furs of my dad's that weren't very good quality.  Might be good to use to line the inside and quiet down the arrows from rattling around?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
If that badger is stable it would make a sweet haversack, coupled with the beaver back quiver.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
One secret I learned when I studied a how-to is when working with hair on hides make all your cuts from the inside with a sharp razor or you'll have hair all over the place.
  Also, save the scraps for string silencers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks, Pat.  I would have eventually figured that out, but probably not until I had hair everywhere!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
I've heard that a fur quiver can get pretty hot and sweaty at times.  Does anyone ever turn the entire fur to the inside and the leather to the outside?  

Like this:  

Or with this kind of look:
(Badger on outside of beaver, beaver inside-out)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Think you're on to something there. If you're just using it for small game heads that should be pretty slick. With certain broadheads I'm not sure how they'd pull out with the hair, and I mean that, I have no idea; it may not effect it at all.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »
I know you want a back quiver but, pelts just beg to be a plains style quiver man!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I like your idea Archie
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I've got several ideas, but it would depend largely on personal style and if you want to hides to remain largely intact or if your ok cutting them up for parts.

Personally I'd go with a primitive look using some smoke tanned deeskin or maybe even rawhide on the body, stiffen the body with bone or cane as needed on one side, add a window for bottom draw, line the openings with beaver, make a pouch with the body/head of the badger closed off with a bone pin lock, I'd cut the paws or claws off the badger and use them as ornamental beads along the top and strap, then make the strap adjustable in length to tighten up to back quiver length and loosen out to side stalker length.  Put some cold forged, twisted brass D rings or forged twisted iron rings on there.  Use artificial sinew for stitching and you'd have a very unique, very aesthetically pleasing quiver with sentimental parts.  Then again, I'm a leather worker and projects like this kind of spark my interest and inspire me to do some fun and different things.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I'd make two quivers...I wouldn't waste the beaver on the inside of a quiver.  Just me.

Go to a fabric place, and buy some "felt" or heavy wool to line the sides of the inside of the quiver tube.  Use leather on the bottome (to protect from arrows), and as "trim" to the tube made from the pelts.   Get a nice piece of leather...not too stiff...for a shoulder strap.  After you make one, the next will be "better" so save the "best" for last.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I used to have a nice little side business making fur quivers and possibles bags. Here is a photo from LOOOONG ago when I first started out. I have more recent pics of stuff I've done for my kids and friends. I'll go find 'em.
This is a recent red fox I did.
You can make some incredible stuff with hides.

David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©