3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Expensive decoy I say money well spent!!  (Read 619 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Expensive decoy I say money well spent!!
« on: April 05, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
This was my first year going trad for turkeys and i did lots of research about decoys after several months i finally broke down and bought one of these Dave Smith decoys. Ive done a lot of turkey hunting with a shotgun and had many encounters with turkeys, but i never once had anything like this happen and it all took place 8 yards from me!

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Expensive decoy I say money well spent!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
I filmed the whole thing and i have no idea how you make or post videos so i took screenshots of the battle with my camera while i paused the video
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Thats a good looking hen. Bet that was alot of fun to watch.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
It is very life like. Did you get a shot on it?

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Yes it was very fun!! We can't shoot hens in Mississippi it's a mad strutting hen. I watched her scratching in leaves for about 30 mins from about 75 yards away. I let out a string of loud cuts and aggressive purrs and she saw the decoy and ran those 75 yards in about 20 seconds. Then the battle was on!

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
The decoy took the beating like a champ her eyes were scuffed up a lil bit, but I was surprised that none of the paint came off.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Hey Msbow, glad to see you're getting your moneys worth out of the decoy! Those DSD decoys are supposed to be pretty tough.  They have a video on their website where they shoot 'em with shotguns!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
Cool. Ive never seen a strutting hen before.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Nice picks! I've had the same thing happen to my AvianX upright hen several times in the last few years. No damage either but fun to watch, the usually settle down and act like friends after a while.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
It was very exciting to see up close like that and luckily I had my camera and got the footage I doubt anyone would have believed me. It was the funniest thing watching her bob and weave when she would smack the decoy and it would spin around on her.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »
Up load the video to your PC and then use windows movie maker to edit it in length. then up load it to You tube... then its easy to post.

I'll bet that was fun!

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Msbow, I've had that happen several times. The boss hen
Just can't stand an upstart in her area. Now if you want to see
The Gobblers do the same thing, add the DSD Jake to this hen. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had Gobblers
Charge in and Attack the Jake. Very exciting. Just about as good asit gets.

RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
That was neat!
Sam

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
I have a jake I just haven't put it out yet, I had a long walk so I just took the hen. Both of them will be coming with me this weekend!!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
I've been thinking to upgrade my dekes.  The Avian and the DSDs both look very good too me. Surely tboth work equally well?

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
The hen will fit in the same carrying bag as the Jake. I keep them in the bag together all the time, I NEVER go Bowhunting without them.
  Now Roy, I know you own every top end bow ever made, why
Even consider anything but the best. The DSD decoys are the
The most anatomically correct decoys made, talk about lifelike
Painting, look at those pics again, you can't hardly tell them apart.
  Good luck to everyone this spring.

RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
I don't think you can go wrong with either one, they are both painted very life like and there both very tuff and hold up to the abuse. I've never used the DSD's but haven't needed to try them we have had nothing but awesome responses from hens, Jakes and gobblers since using the Avian's the last couple of years. They have been constantly beat up almost every time we have used them and have held up well no complaints, I'm sure the DSD's are just as good. Use what you can afford but I would say these two are defently worth the extra money.

Good luck everybody!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
R.W.,
So you carry the hen in the same bag together with the jake?

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
Bowwild,
When I was researching which decoy to get. That was pretty much the conclusion I came to was one will work just as good as the other, but I wanted to get the one that looked the most like a real turkey. I thought the DSD looked as close to real as you could get and the Avian wasn't cheap either so I figured ide spend  a little more money and get the one I really wanted.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©