3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: He looked back....  (Read 725 times)

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
He looked back....
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: He looked back....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Maybe he shouldn't have......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
:archer2:

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
He didnt do that again did he.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Satchel sez: "Don't ever look back"

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
All of this unfolded last week and I’m just now getting around to posting it.  I’ve been chasing turkeys for a long time with my recurve, and I finally made it happen.  Here’s the tale, I hope yall enjoy this story.  So here it goes…

I arrived in the woods around 630 the weather was perfect.  And as the sun started to peak over the trees a tom started to sound off just over the little ridge to my right.  I wasted no time in heading his way.  I've learned, the hard way, over the years not to get too close to the roosting tree with all my gear. So I got to where I thought I was close enough to get him to come in and still be out of sight and set up.  Time past by and he hammered at everything that made noise in the woods.  But it was not to be, shortly after he flew down he went away from my location towards the creek bed that lay just past him.  The next couple of hours were spent listening as toms were singing all around.  None would commit to my set up and I could hear a couple down on the creek.  So around 900 I packed up my blind and decoys and started to the creek bottom.  I quickly set back up in a spot I knew turkeys to pass through.  I tried once or twice to call but had no response.  The silence was broken around 1030 or so when two gobbled on the neighboring property.  I yelped a bit on my pot call and waited. I was rewarded around 1100 when I caught a glimpse of him coming in from down the creek bottom.  I silently waited until I knew that he would be able to see my decoys then I let out a few soft calls to get his attention. As he stretched up to look I could tell that he was a jake.  He stood motionless for a while checking out my set up.  I began to cuss myself because of all the gobbling I had heard earlier I set out the jake and hen decoys I have.  And the little jake that came in seemed to not want any confrontation. He scoped things out for a while and then headed up the hill past my blind.  I sat thinking about how I shouldn't have placed the jake decoy out.  Then I began to hear the "crunch" "crunch" of footsteps behind the blind.  He reemerged about 15 yards or so to my left.  My heart began to thump out of my chest as he approached my decoys stopping only once to half way puff up.  He moved in to about 13 yards or so directly in front of my blind.  All I kept thinking was "pick a spot" so I did, I drew and before I knew it my arrow was on its way.  He tucked his tail as if I had spanked him, when the arrow went wide and low and sank in the dirt right under his backside! I wasted no time in grabbing the next arrow from my quiver and nocking it.  By this time he had moved to around 18 yards or so moving out, but he paused to look back!  I drew again, and this time the arrow found it's mark!  I watched as the arrow sank in the chest at the wing!  He flopped for a moment then ran!  I kept thinking "No way does he hold that!" I forced myself to breathe deeply and focus as my emotions ran up and down.  I watched as the running went to walking, then the walking to laying!  I then looked at my watch and made myself wait for a couple of minutes, because all of the flopping and moving of the bird felt like it was an hour or more, though I know with me being amped up like I was I'm sure it was a matter of seconds.  After I clambered out of my blind and walked over I had my prize!  He had a solid 4.5 inch beard and no spurs to speak of but he's the greatest trophy I've ever taken!  After checking out the location of impact of the arrow, I saw that it had hit him squarely in the shoulder as he was angling slightly away.  The arrow had flown perfectly and the four blade magnus stinger had done it's work.  I gathered myself for a moment and said a prayer thanking God for the grace and blessing he had given me in this experience.  

Well there ya have it, the story of my first turkey ever with my recurve.  I’m still high on the experience, and my wife’s ears are still bleeding from me talking about it around the house, haha.  After cleaning him out all that delicious meat is sitting in my freezer waiting for the right evenings meal.  And I’m working on drying out his fan. I’m going to try my hand at a homemade tail mount, (hope it works).

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Great Job!

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Awesome!

Congrats!

Bisch

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Excellent!! Ours starts the 20th!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
Congrats!!
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
That is awesome! Congrats!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Congrats man!  Outstanding!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
wooh!!! thats awesome, Congrats!!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Sweet!!!
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Congrats on your first turkey with a bow.  I bet you are on cloud 9.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Congrats! Great job!