3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For all the recurve shooters....why?  (Read 724 times)

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For all the recurve shooters....why?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
I started out shooting a beginner's recurve, then my first "nice" bow was a reflex longbow. I was hooked!But I keep them all for "just in case" or fishing, or whatever. Keep them! Can't tell you why. Lol
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline BHTGdogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
I love longbows, but I have a 50s' style recurve now and I love that bow!

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
I don't like classic D-shape longbows. But I love hybrid longbows and recurves. I settled down on two bows now. One 3 pce semi static recurve and one 1 pce hybrid longbow. On the longbow I use woodies.
I have one bow on order: a 3 pce hybrid longbow. That might be my holy grail.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 03:40:00 AM »
I have done the transition form recurve to longbow, and not once have I regretted. The Cayuga has a moderate R/D, narrow limbs, light in the hand... Just love it.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
Started with the longbow. Got the collecting bug and now shoot mostly Bear recurves.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Original Paul Shafer 62" recurve. "Ahh, sweet mercy".    :goldtooth:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Over the last 50 plus years, I've gone full circle several times, i.e., recurves, then longbows, then self bows, then recurves again,etc. Have been mostly shooting longbows and hybrids for the past 20 years, but a short recurve is still my turkey hunting bow.  It's all good.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Twisted limbs would turn me off too. I've never had a recurve with twisted limbs or a torqing issue either. maybe you need to fix that first and you will like the recurves better.

For me the take down recurve is just so much easier to travel with when flying on a plane. My short draw of 26" is much more suited to a 58" recurve and in tune is much faster than my longbows.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
I like them all! Cant really choose one over the other, as I like to play with different things.

Although the Hill style bow are fun to shoot, I prefer a shorter faster hybrid or recurve for hunting & shooting the majority of the time.

Different strokes for different folks!

Offline ProAlpine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Make the switch! And sell your recurves to those of us that are still hooked!
Blacktail Sitka 58@30
Schafer Silvertip Longbow 60@30
Morrison Shawnee 60@30

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
I was longbows and wood arrows only for 10-15 years, then I got into selfbows.  The last year or so I bought the cheapest recurve I could find to test a new string material...now I rather shoot it than any of my other bows.

I'll eventually get back to my longbows and selfbows...but I also see an ILF recurve in my future, probably a metal riser style.

It's all good.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
I seldom shoot a recurve, but I still keep them, just in case...
Sam

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I just started shooting a longbow a year ago and i really enjoy it. I will mostly shoot my longbow this Spring and Summer too, i think, but when it comes to flinging arrows on a hunt I will probably have my Hatfield recurve with me. I have been shooting it for couple decades and i shoot it better. I also don't have to worry about scuffing it up anymore.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline Archer Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
I have three recurves right now and have really found an interest in the R/D Longbows. I have a short Falco Storm on order that I am really excited about for stump shooting and woods hunting. My property is thick with underbrush so the 54" R/D will be great for this use.

I used to like the recurve profile better, but the R/D has really grown on me. We will see how I like this Custom Falco when they are finished making ti to my specs.

I started out in high school making longbows. That is what I really learned to shoot with. Then I took about 10 years off and came back to archery with a recurve. I have a pyramid bow that is almost finished. Just need to do the final tillering.

So I guess I am coming full circle back to longbows. I will still shoot my recurves though as I really like them too.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
My first bow was a longbow..back in the 50's. Haven't shot another one since, nor had a desire to. Just don't appeal to me.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
My first bow was a recurve back in 70s.  I have shot longbows but never owned one, never wanted to.

I have come full circle on the recurves, I craved a Bear takedown in my youth when I couldn't afford one.  Have had many costume bows in the 80s, 90s and 00s. Now I am back to wanting a Bear Takedown, maybe it is time.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
I have a new Steppe EAgle hybrid, A new Tribute backset hill style bow with straight limbs but backset. A reflex deflex foreward riser longbow and a string follow longbow. Must be something there for ya.
God bless, Steve

Offline woodshavins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
I have some empty pegs on my rack if you wanna get rid of those pesky re curves!
They are all great. Best advice I can think of is, shoot what makes you happy!

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Hey Woodshavins, Ken is a lefty. But then again I am sure you could adapt really quickly.
Ken Thornhill

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Seems like feel of the bow & aesthetic preference are my reasons, both of which are purely personal choices based on what you're attracted to, as well as what you feel is best for you and your shooting style/accuracy...

Interestingly related to this, albeit indirectly, is a recent study of food preferences; the study entailed people being interviewed extensively and in great depth as to what specific tastes they are drawn to, as well as why they prefer those specific tastes...the resulting data revealed that the #1 reason for people's specific tastes had very little to do with their tastebuds; the reasons were the EXPERIENCES they were engaged in at the time they ate those foods in their formative years; ie: if they were at Grandma's house as a youngster, and they had terrific, (nostalgic) experiences of Grandma making spaghetti after they played in the yard, with sunny weather and happy days on swing-sets--->they wanted their spaghetti to taste just like Grandma's did...if Grandma had a penchant for overkill on the Oregano, then that is how that person prefers their spaghetti to taste as an adult...
I suspect that a boy growing up with great memories of relatives/friends using recurves and Bear RaZorheads, he will most likely gravitate towards a recurve and Bear RaZorheads, simply because the good feelings he experienced as a youngster were imprinted in his mind, and the bows and broadheads trigger visual cues in his mind which take him back to that time (and those feelings)...and virtually all of it takes place on the subconscious level, so we may be consciously unaware of exactly why it is that we choose what we choose...
I thought it was interesting anyway...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©