3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silver Tip Creaks  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
Silver Tip Creaks
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
My take down silvertip makes a creaking sound every so often. I have lubricated the locater pins with bees wax, chap stick, or bow string wax at one time or other. The creak is only on that first draw when it has been sitting awhile, couple hours, then it is fine. The noise does go away once lubricated but how often does it have to be lubricated and are some bow more prone than others to this noise. It was last broke down and lubed last month and now the noise is back. Anyone else had to do this often? Thanks

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silver Tip Creaks
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
My onepiece D/R longbow did this awhile back and it was the string in the nocks,put a little string wax on the loops and fixed that!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Dave says in his owners manual that he sends out with a new bow that it is normal. I have 2 and they both creak a bit if they have sat for awhile.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Try a fine peice of felt on the riser where the limbs attach.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Try a fine peice of felt on the riser where the limbs attach.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Thanks Kennym its not in the string this is in the limb as limbow describes have you found one lubricant to work any better than the other and how often are you applying the lube. Could be the cold dry weather were having.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
it's totally defective, dude. Take the bow apart and send me the riser. You keep the limbs. That will take care of the creaking!!!!   :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Ray is right Rico! Just to make sure though, after you send him the riser, you should wrap the limbs gently in small bubble wrap......and send them to me. That way you will only have to test the string. If IT creaks, send that to me too and I will properly dispose of it for you.

I know I am going out on a limb for you (pun intended) but somebody has to take on this devastating task, and I'll take one for the team.

Raineman

(Man this is a fun website)

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
Rico;as suggested, Some felt on the riser will totally eliminate the creak the first time you draw the bow after it has been resting for a while. I wish all bowyers would supply a gasket between limbs and riser. The other thimg that works is rubbing the limb or riser with toilet gasket wax, the issue is not the alignment pin. Hope this helps.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Some spray wax between the libs and riser. Spray on and polish off. It is the finish making the noise I would bet. When it sets the finish sets together and creaks when you 1 st draw the bow. Some finishes are worse than others. Should cure the problem.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 05:45:00 AM »
The creaking is coming from the limbs compressing or rubbing against the riser.

I make and install a thin 1/16th inch black foam rubber gasket on the limb butts of all my bows including my 4 Silvertips. None of my bows make any noise when drawing and the foam helps absorb noise on the shot.

The foam has self sticking tape on the back side and can be bought at Walmart in the craft section for 50 cents a sheet.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
Thanks I may try some gasket material and or the wax. This is apparently characteristic of take downs designed with out gaskets?

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »
One other thing I've seen used with good success is a piece of clear mylar, like the film used on an overhead projector. Trimmed to be hidden of course.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 06:51:00 AM »
bbassi, I have some mylar,is it  cosmetic,why its not there in the first place.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
I take a real thin piece of plastic (about as thick as a piece of quality paper) and cut to fit the shape of the riser where the limb sits. It will take that creak away and you don't have to worry about it holding moisture.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
I had that problem with my GP bow and some white lithium took care of it.  Just a thin film on pin and riser.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Tyvek...a buddy used it once with good results.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
All good ideals,Thanks other to lube the limbs I rarely break the bow down.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I had (still have) a Rocky MIller Predator take down that had the same problem. Long story short....the locator pins were frinction fitted and had loosened enough to cause the problem. I pulled them all out with pliers and epoxied them back in...no more noise.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I wouldnt put anything that would 'hold' moisture against the wood...I have always used a liberal wax coating and that worked great..plus it seals out some of the wet that can creep between the limb and the riser limb seat anyway.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©