3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best wood for making arrows  (Read 695 times)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best wood for making arrows
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
The Doug Fir from Surewood is unbeatable-I used to worry about my personal stash of old Cedar running low-it just does not matter now!   :thumbsup:

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »
I'm testing leopardwood for my new shafts, I'll tell you guys how it goes.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
I have used POC for a long time and while I do have some very fine Surewood arrows I made up, I am still partial to cedar.  I like working with it. I have used maple and ash along the way also and had some good luck and bad luck with the ash. I had a couple dozen that was awesome then got a dozen that was just junk. Moving down a little in bow weight the ash got a little heavy also.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
Sitka Spruce from Hildebrand!
I'll second this...
"What is written on the scroll of Fate is not visible; but with a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in search of adventure"..... Saxton Pope

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
I should elaborate a bit on my post above.  Much of what makes one wood "better" than another is what you want to do with it and get from it.  POC is a proven wood that shoots well and is easy to work with.  It straightens easily and holds its straight.  Technically, it is a cypress, not a cedar.  It is not as durable as most other woods, but if you don't miss this really isn't an issue.  

Sitka Spruce boasts the highest strength to weight ratio of all woods.  It makes a lighter weight arrow and has a fiberous structure that makes it quite tough.  It's light mass weight makes it good for high FOC arrows.  Unfortunately, spine availability fizzles out quickly above 75 lbs.  Sitka straightens well and holds it once sealed.

Doug Fir also has a long history as an arrow wood.  It recovers quickly from paradox and shoots very well.  Mass weight varies greatly, as much as 150+ grains within a spine range.  This makes it harder to weight match shafts, but also makes it usable by fans of both light, mid and heavy weight arrows.  It also has a very wide spine availability, up to 120 lbs or more.  It is much more durable than POC and when it does break, it tends to come apart so there isn't much question.  DF straightens well, heat helps, and holds it fairly well once sealed.

Both SS and DF like to argue with the pencil type nock and point taper tools and do much better with a disk sander type tapering setup.  A V type guide on a hobby size disk/belt sander combo works great.

JMHO
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©