3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Measuring Draw Weight  (Read 271 times)

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
Measuring Draw Weight
« on: April 07, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Trying to set up some new arrows and noticed something while getting the draw weight. My weights differ depending on where I place the hook from the scale on the string. I always hang the bow and draw length arrow from the scale and tare the scale before pulling which requires finding a point of balance along the string to hang it horizontally. If I pull the bow from that point, usually a couple of inches below the arrow, I end up with a heavier reading (about 1 to 1 1/4 pounds difference) than if I place the hook just below the arrow. Is it just my cheap scales or is it the physics of the bow? If what I'm seeing is accurate, I assume I should measure from just under the arrow where my fingers would normally be? The overall difference is pretty minor, but I was just curious if anyone else had ever noticed this before and if so what your thoughts are on it. Thanks...Cory
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Measuring Draw Weight
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Yes, where you draw from will affect weight.  You should zero your scale without the bow hanging.  The bows weight is part of what you are pulling down with.  You can see this by hanging the bow on the scale.  Notice that the string is drawn slightly and the scale will read the bow's mass weight.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
I measured my bow with a luggage scale. Marked an arrow with my draw length, then hooked up a luggage scale and pulled the same length. The scale zeroed on the table. Dont know if this is correct, but it is my point of origin.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
  You should zero your scale without the bow hanging.  The bows weight is part of what you are pulling down with.  You can see this by hanging the bow on the scale.  Notice that the string is drawn slightly and the scale will read the bow's mass weight.
Thanks for the replies thus far. This is the way ^^^ I did it for years. Then I'm pretty sure I read something on here somewhere about zeroing the scale with the bow hanging from it. Did I misunderstand? Certainly wouldn't be the first time. Any other thoughts?
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©