3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scouting a "header" and dreaming of November  (Read 2349 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Scouting a "header" and dreaming of November
« on: April 07, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
This is a little late, and actually took place on a fine day in March.  I love scouting in March.  In my areas in the midwest, there are things that you can see on the ground in March that you simply cannot see during the summer, or even during season.  Sign accumulates over the course of the season and is preserved during the winter months.  During the month of March it is all right there to see...plain as day.  
    A few years back I spent a few days at Barry Wensels bootcamp.  I learned some subtle yet priceless pieces of information that I could not wait to apply to a particular piece of property.  The last few years have been very busy for me and scouting/hunting time has been greatly reduced.  Not cool! Couple that fact with this property being 4.5 hours away from my house, and I just never made it down there to scout when I should have, but rather used what March scouting time I had to focus on smaller, less productive areas near my home.  That all changed, when this past February I marked off a couple days on the calendar at work specifically for scouting this far away hunting land.  
     There is one area on the property that I was very interested in, but had only previously scouted it in the summer.  The main feature is a large and seemingly signifigant ridge running mostly east to west.  At the top and bottom of this ridge are crop fields that are rotated from beans to corn.  Anway, this ridge actually runs for miles onto adjoining landowners properties.  I decided to spend a full day just learning the nuances of this ridge.  We get alot of northwest winds during November.  So my theory was that this ridge would likely see cruising bucks during November.  This would allow the wind to come from over the top of the ridge, while they can see down below.  
    To make it even sweeter, there is a shelf that runs along this ridge about half-way down.  Now, running perpendicular to the ridges there are a number of drainages running from the top to the bottom.  We all know that there are normally "headers" at the upper ends of these drainages that allow deer to cross through without having to drop down into the "gorges" which aside from steep walking are often littered with log jams. I knew where all the headers were at the top near the field but I was interested in seeing what may be on the side of the ridge.  And was really hoping there would be a good stand site along there.  I started walking down the ridge from the top until I came across the first major run.  I followed this run for 200 yards or so in one direction, and then 200 yards or so the other direction. Not finding anything significant, I then moved down the ridge to the next major run. These major runs are not noticible in the summer.  But they really stand out in March.  Anyway, I followed this run for probably 300 yards in either direction.  Here I found where the run passed around a header right on the shelf.  I also found that the original trail from higher up the ridge also passed through this header.  Perfect! Laying right at the header was a 4pt. shed antler.  I'm liking this spot more all the time!  Anyway, I continued down the hill and found 3 more major runs, and guess where they all converged? Right at that same header on the shelf!  That is 5 major trails each running for hundreds of yards and each of them converging in the exact same spot. Now to sweeten the deal even more, I followed all these trails back the other direction even further and again all 5 of them merged again at a fence line with an old gate opening in it! Bam! Two instant stand sites! With any northery wind, the deer can travel this shelf, smelling anything above them and able to see below. I now have 2 stand sites where all 5 trails converge in different locations! At the header, there happens to be a perfect tree 15 yards away that will take a ladder stand on the downwind side of where all 5 runs converge.  I have been dreaming about sitting in this tree each night.  To top off the day, I ended up finding the other side of the shed antler just further down the trails past the header.  No doubt, that buck had walked right around the header, right past my new favorite tree, and then shed both antlers along the way.  I cannot wait for November!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scouting a "header" and dreaming of November
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Cool a deer hunting post! This time of year gets loggy with all the shooting stuff.  Jon, good find, I dig those header setups too.  My place in Mo has lots of that terrain.  Steeper than I'm used to at home and I'm finding that often those shelves on steep sidehills tend to have jacked up wind... much like creek bottoms. I'm always drawn to them, but out of 5-6 I've set up on out there only 1 ended up with predictable wind.  It is a very wide shelf, maybe 75 yards.  The setup isn't a header, but a true crossing of a ravine, its the only crossing in about 600 yards and connects two good areas of my farm.  I passed up bucks almost every time I was in there last fall.

This March, following that trail/shelf I found it joined up to an old, old logging road, crossed the main drainage about 300 yards from that stand, and headed to a thick area on neighboring property. There is a beautiful spot there that covers the N/S creek crossing (creek runs E/W), covers an E/W trail paralleling the creek on the first bench, and two trails that converge on a short deep header just W of the crossing.  There is only one tree, about a twelve inch diameter straight shagbark with no cover.  Next time I get out there I'm going to set it up and build some serious cover in the tree.  Its in a creekbottom flat, but I'm hoping the E/W creek channels the NW wind and pulls it past.  Probably looking at 3-4 hours work to setup that tree, maybe 25% chance the wind will work out..... but man, if it does, that stand will be a doozy in November.  This is the crap I think about all spring/summer!!

R

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Fantastic thread!  My heart beats to hunt deer. I agree with Mr. Rathaar, great to see a deer dhunting thread this time of year.  The season never ends.

Thanks,
Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Great work, Jon. I just hope nobody else has permission to hunt the same property..it would really suck eggs to walk in and find somebody lousing up your honey hole.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Great thread!! I really enjoy scouting and shed hunting. It's a great time for me to get all my kids out and show them deer sign. I enjoy watching them putting pieces of the puzzle together and helping pick out stands.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
I have a couple set ups that are on shelves at either a header or gully crossing. They are very nice funnels. They turn out outstanding on good acorn years as both are loaded with white oaks. The wind is a little tricky on one of them but is fun to hunt when it is right. This is the time of year to find these spots too. I have been putting in a few miles myself this spring looking at old and new setups for next season.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Good post Jon, I can "see" that spot from your description and your excitement in describing it. I bet I know where you'll be come November! I find this time of year "almost" as much fun as the fall hunting....the scouting, stand preparation all leads to the possibilities of whats gonna happen in November. Spots like you described make for some sleepless nights thinking of point blank shots    :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I hear ya Ryan.  The wind is what I'm most concerned about in this spot. I checked it both morning and evening with milkweed "puffs" and it seemed to remain directionally consistent (out of the northwest that day) but I'm going to have to keep my fingers crossed. In this area the shelf is pretty wide as well so that may help with the winds. The next order of business is the tree itself. It just so happens to be a hawthorn! It's going to take some work to get a stand in that tree. At the other end where the trails all converge and go through the fence opening, the terrain is flatter (more consistent winds) but the best tree has very little cover so I will need to add cover to this tree. Like you this is the kind of thing that keeps playing out in my head all summer long while I wait for November!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Good thread buddy, best of luck to you!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
The more I think about this, I have to add.....

It's such a shame that a real hunting thread like this gets so few responses, but when someone gets a new bow and post photo's, it seems tons of folks will respond.

A thread like this has so much educational value for hunters!

Just thinking out loud I guess...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Great find Jon, and good info
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Sounds like an awesome setup Jon. You have inspired me to get out and look around a bit. Thanks
Molon labe

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
I'll be anxious to hear how your find and Uncle Barry's nudging all play out for you next Fall.  

My trip to bootcamp changed the way I look at the properties I hunt nowadays.  Since being there and making adjustments, I've increased opportunities at mature deer.  Haven't dropped the string on one since then but I'm patient and know it will happen in due time.

Good Luck Jon, keep us posted.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
Jon you can try lighting off a smoke bomb on that shelf and get a good idea of the eddies.  Gene and Barry sure have shared a lot of great information in their books have they not.  Good luck this fall.
habujohn

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I agree - no better time to scout then Feb and March.  Sounds like you have a couple of good spot picked out!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I am absolutely so proud of you "young" guys putting in the hours of slowly walking the timber with a purpose. It's a puzzle just waiting to be solved. But once you learn how to do it you can do it over and over for the rest of your life. On top of that, like Trap said, it might take a couple years before the right buck comes by but you know in your heart it's just a matter of time. Like I've preached many times before, scouting leads to understanding; understanding leads to confidence; confidence leads to patience; and patience leads to the opportunity for success. The neat part is I can feel it all in your enthusiasm; read it between the lines and I just KNOW you guys get it. The sport needs more guys like yourselves who will eventually hand down your own knowledge and opinions to the future generations. I'm truly very proud of you guys. Thanks. BW

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I should add here that while my hunting time and access to private land has decreased my chances at good bucks have actually Increased since a little help from Uncle Barry. I've just blown my chances the last couple of years! HA!  But I will make good on them. I think that probably the 2 biggest things I have learned from Uncle Barry is to scout when the time is best...but mostly to SLOW down while doing so.  Figure it out. Go back more than 1 time if you need too. We should not forget that the scouting is the actual hunting!  I''ll never forget a guy asking Barry if he "completely walks every trail in his area". The answer was a resounding "Yea...pretty much."  Anyway this spot may or may not turn out....but I think it will eventually. I'll report back sometime in November.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, Jon.  As a new bowhunter I really appreciate it when folks take the time to write these kinds of details down for others learn from.  Good luck to you!

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
I've been out all through Jan - March and have actually set up ten new trees for this Fall.  Also, blocked some trails and cleared some entry trails.  Down here in TX its just to hot to do this stuff any other time of year  :)
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
Boy I wished I could be scouting for the mulies around here now!  The closest thing I have is maps and satellites this time of year. they are all still on the winter range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©