3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Turkey Hunters  (Read 600 times)

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Colorado Turkey Hunters
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
I know I'm not the only Coloradan trying to stick a bird with a stick and string.  Who else is getting ready for turkey season in Colorado?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Turkey Hunters
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
I hope to be.  Between the fly fishing and turkey hunting, I have more fun things to do than I have time for this spring.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
well if the wind ever quits blowing I'd be thinking about it...40 mph every day is getting OLD

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:20:00 PM »
I'll get out at some point, drew a plains tag last year so it's back to the mountain birds this year, one of these days I'm going to get a mountain bird, trying some different spots this year, too much pressure where I've tried in the mountains in the past!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
I can't wait for Saturday!!!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Going to give the Durango area a try around may first.  Like you, David, I'm finding things to be a bit crowded.  

Spinney opens Friday!  Might just fish instead of chasing Turks.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
I'll be going up into the local foothills chasing birds. In all the years I've gone I Havnt seen but a handful, here and there. The tag is cheap enough to be out legally hunting something. But I never go with the expectation to bag a bird. I have a better chance of shooting an albino giraffe around these parts.

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Have this guy and his ladies picked out for a party on Sat morning.
 He is not a albino giraffe Matty but he will have to do.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Matty, I thought that Buckhorn area was supposed to have a good population?  Turkeys that is!  Might find that giraffe out in the Pawnees.  They say there is all kinds of strange things out there/  :eek:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
hey stickhorse....we can't even see the Sangres from town...the wind is blowing the sand from the Sand Dunes into the valley....40 plus mph...you couldn't even hear yourself callin"

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
Yep same here pumatrax, sat is clear and 70deg. I could just camo as a dust storm and he won't see me sneekin in.   :D

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Matty, I thought that Buckhorn area was supposed to have a good population?  Turkeys that is!  Might find that giraffe out in the Pawnees.  They say there is all kinds of strange things out there/   :eek:  
They used to for sure. We saw them more often, till the fires 2 years ago theyseem to have relocated a bit. We've been scouting the "new growth" areas but Havnt seen any. Some have been spotted close to Estes park, and pingree at this point it's just a shot in the dark.

Offline ARCHER11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
I moved to Castle Rock last October and have been out on the rampart range a couple of times without much luck. It's looking like with the rampart range road and trail system being closed to motor vehicles until June there's some good potential to get away from the crowds in what sounds like has otherwise been a very crowded area in years past. I won't have a lot of time to get out this spring and may not even get a tag but I'd love to get out with some fellow gangers when spare time pops up. If you're out this way or looking to hunt Pike National Forest shoot me a PM, i'd be happy to share what little I've found of the area.

Offline ARCHER11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
I moved to Castle Rock last October and have been out on the rampart range a couple of times without much luck. It's looking like with the rampart range road and trail system being closed to motor vehicles until June there's some good potential to get away from the crowds in what sounds like has otherwise been a very crowded area in years past. I won't have a lot of time to get out this spring and may not even get a tag but I'd love to get out with some fellow gangers when spare time pops up. If you're out this way or looking to hunt Pike National Forest shoot me a PM, i'd be happy to share what little I've found of the area.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Any one get their bird yet?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
Any one get their bird yet?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Good Luck to ya all, just a great time of the year to be out in the woods & fields (at least here in KY).

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
A foot or more snow fell in the last couple of days in the area I wanted to check out, should melt fast but looks like it will be another week before I even bother trying.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
I think I am finally going to get out for a morning hunt this Wednesday.  I have had occasional luck getting birds in range but getting a shot without a blind is another story.  If I see a bird, I consider it a successful hunt.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Lucky for me, the 4-corners area got hit the least with last week's cold front. I was shocked to have 3" of snow, and the cold (for here) weather snowed the birds down alot, but they were back at it yesterday.  Called one in to about 60 yards, but he wouldn't come in any closer. I just got to see him pacing back and forth in the oak brush.  I'm almost glad he didn't come in to range; my season may have ended and I would have had to wait a whole year to chase them again.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©