3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sharpening Woodsman Broadheads... grrrrrrr  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
Sharpening Woodsman Broadheads... grrrrrrr
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
So i have some woodsman broadheads and i want to smash them with a hammer...   :mad:   All kidding aside, i cant put a consistent edge on them no matter what i do. Ive watched the "how to videos" on youtube, used files and jewel sticks, sharpening stones, sharpie markers everything. I just havnt been able to achieve any sort of consistent hair cutting edge. I just want to get them hunting sharp.

Does anyone have any recomendations? Should i resign myself to taking them to a key maker to get them sharpened? Is there something else i can do?  I guess i am just not a very skilled sharpener at this point.   :confused:  

Thanks in advance
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sharpening Woodsman Broadheads... grrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
The best advice I have ever gotten on sharpening broadheads is use light strokes and let your file or stones do the work.  A lot of guys put too much pressure on the blades.

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
X2 on Hawks message. Go lightly on the strokes.
Also:
Call Ron at KME. He is  a great guy who genuinely wants to help a guy get sharp broad heads . Ask him.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
The hardest part that I encountered was the initial grind. Mine were almost concave to begin with and took a lot of coarse stone work to achieve a straight edge. Once the edges lined up I moved to a fine diamond stone and car window. The car window with very light strokes was the key to hair popping sharp.
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Black Creek Banshee TDR/TDLB 50@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

US Army Military Police 1996-2007

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Flat stone light strokes.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
As said above your stones have to be flat. I have three different grit stones. I use moderate pressure with the coarsest stone,a little lighter pressure with the fine stone,and then I have an arkansas fine stone and barley put any pressure at all to finish them,and they get really sharp.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Light strokes.  Patience.  I have to admit that my Woodsman's never seem quite as sharp as my 2-blade heads (hair shaving-wise).  I think that's because the bevel angle is shallower.  Despite that, they've blown through deer and a hog.
homebru

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
I always found it hard to get "sticky" sharp with the WW heads until I built a hollow grind sharpener for them.  Then they are unbelievably sharp.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Use a mill file with light strokes as per the Three Rivers Archery video. Go buy a Smith diamond sharpener to touch up the blades after using the mill file. The Smith diamond sharpener is flat so you just run it over the blades as you would the file. You can buy this file at Walmart for $15 and it works great.  Like others have said use light strokes. The trick is light strokes and use the flat diamond file to put the finishing touches on the blades after using the mill file. I can shave with my Woodsman broad heads using this method.

Ron

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
First things First, once you mark with sharpie make sure you remove the concave that is usually in the middle od head. This may take a while. A belt sander would be ideal as long as you don't get the steel to hot. On most WW the tip and back will be the first place where the sharpie will disappear, keep on filling until you are removing the sharpie along the middle of the head. I work on two edges at a time until I get the grind right,then I rotate head. finish all sides with even LIGHT stokes.  put chalk on your file to prevent build up.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 09:27:00 AM »
My brother recently bought some new.  We use a belt sander to clean them up first (light pressure) then file.  

As Mr. Westvang has stated about a hollow ground edge, I have also used the edge (rounded) end of the belt sander for a hollow grind and gets them very sharp.  

You might try the same process that Ryan Rothhaar uses for his Snuffers.  Very effective hollow grind.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=031172#000012  

Take a look at the way Ryan Rothhaar sharpens a snuffer.
Longbows & Short Shots

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I use a Simmons file the red handled ones. I finish up with a Schrade hone steele . Counting your strokes is important they must be filed and honed evenly . With this method I have had new ones out of the package shaving hair in about two minutes and an odd Woodsman will have one blade you cant seem to get sharp .

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
I do the thumb check with my woodsmans...if it seems to cut into my thumbnail I consider it plenty sharp enough...and so far they have blown through whitetails...so fast I thought I missed...pass thrus....

I start with the belt sander and move to the file...then cardboard....then the thumb.

Be careful.........they will cut through your thumbnail with enough pressure....

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
I know I'll get flamed but get the Snuffer Tamer kit. Been using one for 20+ years. For me, it's the easiest system I've used to date and like you I've watched all the videos and tried all the articles on sharpening Snuffer's and WW's.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Call Ron at KME. He recommended a file to me that made the job a lot easier. He also wrote an article for a Blade magazine that was quite helpful, which he will share with you. I love the Wensel broadheads. For some reason the original heads appear to be easier to sharpen. Good luck and "Keep'Um Sharp".   :campfire:

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Guys, thanks so much for the advice and tips. I tried some of them (starting from the top). I finally got my broadheads cutting and shaving hair!
Thanks!

Pressure seemed to be what was hanging me up. I was just using too much pressure.
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©