3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any experience with Magnus II 4 blades  (Read 279 times)

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
Any experience with Magnus II 4 blades
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Anyone had experience with these heads out of a 50lb bow? I picked up a pack dirt cheap and want to give them a try. I'm excited to see the large cutting diameter provided by the bleeders (looks like 1 1/4"x 1 1/4") but I'm concerned that my 50lb set up will not have enough horse power for pass-throughs. My set up is a Bob lee hunter longbow-50@28- 550 grain gold tip carbon flying at around 170 fps. Hunting deer, hogs, and turkey. Any experience shared would be appreciated.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any experience with Magnus II 4 blades
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:25:00 PM »
Used almost exclusively for 20 years years.  I do shave the backside of the bleeder to make them a bit smaller.  Quite versatile though as they can easily be used as 2 blade. Easy sharpened head too. Great tool.

You are living for the right purpose too!    ;)  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
I appreciate the info and encouragement, sir! Could you explain the process you used for shaving down the bleeders?

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Google "Bear Razor head." My bleeder looks like those.  I just used a grinder to shave the backside edge a little.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I think you will be fine with that setup. I haven't used the bleeder variety, but use the magnus 1 all the time and they are a great head.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Great broadheads. They take and hold a shaving sharp edge very well.  If that 550 grain arrow is flying cleanly, you'll have no issues. I also reduced the size of the bleeders like KSdan does.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
I think you will be fine with that setup for deer.  On large hogs and bigger game you may want to go without the bleeder blade.  I'd keep the total weight of the arrow around 550-600 grains.  Below is a link to one of my experiences when using the Magnus II with a bleeder.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=055765#000000
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys! And Walt, that is one of the craziest stories I have ever heard... Hunting or otherwise.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©