3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good Luck To All You NC Bowhunters!!  (Read 1004 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Good Luck To All You NC Bowhunters!!
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
Just wanted to say good luck, and good hunting to all of us going after Meleagras gallopavo in the morning!! Ive got my broadheads on and poppin sharp, avian decoys and blind packed, an assortment of sweet sounding calls, including an awesome cedar box call given to me by Paul/KS ready to roll! Absolutely pumped for my first trad turkey season!

Lets keep this thread as an update thread for the state of NC for the 2015 Turkey season! Il be sure to report back in the morning!

:readit:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good Luck To All You NC Bowhunters!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
They have been gobbling and strutting for over a month up here. Heck, the hens will be all bred before the season opens.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Good luck guys !

I have a place in Graham county, but it never seems to work out for me to be there during turkey season.   :(  
Graham county seems to be loaded with them - I see them every time I'm there.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Good luck!

Bisch

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Awesome, Dalton!  I just stuck the last hair popping broadhead in my quiver, everything is checked and double checked.  Let's get after them!!!!!

Good luck!!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:00 AM »
I know someone that scored this morning. Waiting for the story.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
I had 8 longbeards within 80 yards of my blind for THREE HOURS this morning.  One boss hen came in and kept them wadded up like a dang herding dog.  I'll be back after them with a tweaked setup next weekend.  Looks like Tim had some luck.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
Way to go tim!!!!!! Congrats! Now for the story!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Congrats night stalker!!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »

I did not hunt turkeys last year. I had one gobbler that hung around the farm and he always had hens with him. I was wanting all the hens to nest so I passed him up. The day after the season, I heard him gobble then a second gobble. Oh well. We trapped raccoons and opossum over the winter to keep the nest robbers on the decline. This spring, we had a gobbler and a few jakes so I decided I would go hunt the gobbler.
Last evening, I decided to go for a walk and scout a little. While talking to fellow tradganger spider64 (Darren Webb) about elk hunting, when I spotted a turkey walking the power line. He strutted back and forth, then disappearing about 75 yards below my blind spot. It was about 7:40 so I knew would roost down hill from my spot.  
I got up way before light in order not to spook him. I set up my flock in the dark. The first hint of light, he began to gobble. I yelped and he would gobble. He was not coming straight in like I have experienced in the past. I decided to ignore him and purr and give some feeding clucks. I looked to my left and he was right there 20 yards away. With call in my mouth, I stuck my hand in my pocket feeling for my tab. I looked down to see my tab on the ground. I slowly grabbed it as he came around and slammed into my Avian Jake. I watched two more assaults then I put a 3 blade VPA through him. He continued to assault the decoy. I must of hit him a little forward so I knocked another arrow. In the rush, I pulled an abowyer brown bear out of my quiver. The single bevel hit its mark and I seen him disappear just inside of the woods. I walked down the powerline looking and listening.  I then walked back up to where I last seen him. He was laying just inside the edge. He did not run more than 20 yards. The first shot must of entered just forward in the soft spot. Tradganger DeerhunterW came over and helped me take out the breastbone then we shot his new Centaur.
I used my 62 inch Centaur 52@29 and axis traditional shafts.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Congrats.  Now its my turn.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 08:47:00 PM »
Congrats on a great opening day!
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Great story and results! Congrats man i really hope i can put my first trad bird on the ground here soon, the stories kill me!

Anyone else kind of have a weird morning this morning? Seems like they all had lockjaw until about 9-10, then still acted funky, maybe it was just me?
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Congrats Night Stalker.....that's excellent!
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Dalton,
I am seeing a lot of gobbling and strutting, but almost no reaction to hen calls whatsoever yet.  I have seen 7 gobblers in the last two days fly down, hit full strut, then not move out of their shadow for hours. I am hunting WAY up high and thinking that maybe they're a little behind. What do you guys think??

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Congrats to you!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Jake, are they by themselves? And are they going to consistant points? If they have hens with them, its going to be tough unless you can agitate the lead hen by mocking her( ive killed many birds this way), if hes alone doing that, idk what to tell you unless hes doing it in a specific spot, then id get there real early and quietly set up in that spot.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Dalton,
The toms are grouped up.  I have killed many a bird back in my shotgun days by calling the hen in and letting her drag them in with her, like you mentioned.  I have never seen such a large group of toms get held up so bad with only one hen.  The toms are also not alone either.  Which leads me to believe that breeding hasn't really kicked off yet?

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©