3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting and Lower back Pain  (Read 263 times)

Offline Adam Mooney

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting and Lower back Pain
« on: October 07, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Just waned to see how many people can shoot good with lower back pain. I just hurt my back 3 days ago and cant shoot half as good as I normaly do. Should I keep shooting and get better so I can shoot under just about any situation or dont shoot so I dont pick up bad habbits?
Adam

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting and Lower back Pain
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
I would take it easy until the back heals up.    Go see a chiropractor and they might speed up the healing process.    Eat alot of items that are high in Omega 3 Fatty acids. (Cold water fish, eggs w/o3fa)    This will help the body repair its self.    Good luck.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Oregon Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Adam: I'm in nearly constant pain with lower back issues, arthritis, etc. It never occurred to me that  if I had a few days free of lower back pain, I might shoot better! Upper back issues are an entirely different matter.

Offline Adam Mooney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess it is mentaly taxing so there for it is thoughing off my shooting.
Adam

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
I too deal with lower back pain daily (degenertive disc in the L5 putting pressure on the syitic nerve-fun stuff). My pain index varies from day to day but it's always there.

If you normally have a healthy back and just pulled something, take some time off, get up off your feet and let it heal up. It's the best advice I can give you. Don't realize how much work your lower back does untill something goes haywire. The longer you keep going, the longer it will take to heal up.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
For sure, pain is not a game...  Take it seriously. Hate to preach, but if you have chronic pain of any severity, life changes, drasticly.. Take care of yourself, you only get one body.

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
An accupuncturist was able to releive me of my lower backpain a few years ago and it hasnt showed since.Partly maybe because I do a lot of core strenthening exercises nowadays.Might wanna consider it instead of goping down pills.
Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Thats good advice Gil. My wife went to an acupuncturist for her back and was able to get total relief. I must admit I was skeptical.

Offline The Gray Fox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »
In the meantime, get some of the Therma Guard chemical heat wraps and enjoy what it does for the painful area.  Also, my chiropractor advises to put on an ice pack (one of the freezeable gel packs works well), then put on a heating pad (or one of the microwaveable gel packs).  He says the cold helps to reduce the inflamation, then the heat causes fresh oxygenated blood to rush to the location further aiding in pain suppression.  It does work for me, and then I put on the chemical heat wrap.  BTW, they also work great in frigid tree stands.  Hope you get better soon!
None

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Like JC I have a degenerative L3/L4. Due to accidents and aggravated by arthritis. For this reason I shoot in a even stance position. This keeps everything aligned parallel to the target, but also minimizes any turning or twisting at the waist.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
My problem just started about 4 weeks ago. I think it was just the simple act of mounting and dismounting a 4-wheeler that got it going. Getting a full nights sleep since has been an impossibility. I got myself to my chiropractor after the 1st week but haven't gotten much relief.
I have another appointment this morning and if things don't start looking up soon I'll have to see a physician.(I really dislike having to go to the VA Hospital) But if it comes to that.... sleep seems to be important and I've become a whimp to pain.
I've overcome a lot and was just getting back to the bow when this happened. I am determined...I do not want to let this get in the way of my journey back to what I love doing.
It's encouraging to read the success stories... there's always hope!Thanks!!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tatonka777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
I posted about my experiences with back pain a while ago on this site - here is the thread:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=046534#000000

"Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue - buy the book ($11), do the e-cises and be amazed....

JPW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©