3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It seemed like a good idea  (Read 875 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
It seemed like a good idea
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Like the title says , let's here your trad related " Good Ideas " that didn't work as good as you figured .    :laughing:
And I realize that some of you have never had that happen to you , so just start the story out , " This guy I know " that will keep you off the hook .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: It seemed like a good idea
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
I will start off .
When I was about 17 I got my first Judo Point . It was so cool .
Had a good idea , I could take my nice leather soccer ball and kick it across the lawn and shoot it for practicing rabbit hunting .
Didn't realize that a 45# bow could drive a Judo point all the way threw a leather socker ball .    :scared:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
I was shooting tennis balls with blunt arrows and one arrow ricochets off the tennis ball and punched a hole in the kids above ground swimming pool.Oops!

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
I was bowfishing a few years ago and shot at what I thought was a carp swimming beneath me...turned out it was a turtle...and the bow fishing arrow (being barbed) WOULD NOT come out of the turtles shell.  I felt really bad about it too.  I wouldn't have shot having known it was a turtle but I saw a dark mass swimming in the muddy Mississippi water under a shady tree where we had been shooting carp.  I had to cut the arrow off above the broadhead to release the turtle. OOPS!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Had a skunk digging up my little food plot out behind the house. He had come up to the back of the house as well. One day, I went out to check my camera (with my bow of course), and there he was! Stupidly, I put a blunt behind his shoulder! Then a second one. Needless to say, those arrows stayed out there for a while, and I didn't check that camera again for a few weeks. Lol
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
I did the arrow and ball thing as well. I used my kids 15# fiberglass bow to try and get their ball out of a rather large bush.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Bareshaft a broadhead...nuff said   :scared:

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stickbow:
Bareshaft a broadhead...nuff said    :scared:  
x2
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Wow, where to begin? 50/50 my bad... When teaching my oldest son archery I had him shoot from where I used to. Along the house, past the A/C air handler unit, and into a bag target I had. Standing next to him as he drew back.. I could just see what was about to happen.. Bang. Drove his arrow right into the vent fins of the big air handler, into its radiator. Ugh. Somehow(!) the rounded kids field tip managed to separate the aluminum fins of the radiator without causing a leak. That hole is still there.... And we shoot out back now.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
I hang out at the local archery shop. The owner and I are good friends. One day, while getting ready to go on a hunt, I decided I needed to practice some elevated shooting. I put the chair on top of the table, climbed up there, and started shooting. I shifted my weight, which moved the chair a bit. Just enough to make one of the legs go off the end of the table. Me, the chair, and my bow came crashing down. I was mad and embarrassed, and the shop owner and another guy there were laughing as hard as they could.

Sure seemed like a good idea when I thought of it!

Bisch

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
I use to hold my flashlight in my mouth.  Won't do that again.  Here's a link to the story.....

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=140877;p=1#000000
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I was about 12 years old, and in an archery shop with my dad.  The owner was re-fletching some aluminum shafts, and had them upside-down in a can of acetone, cleaning off the prior fletchings.  He thought "it was a good idea" to just leave a Bodkin broadhead on one of the shafts, and it was sticking straight up in the air.  

I stepped up on a stool to grab something that was on shelf, and when I stepped down, I stepped right into that broadhead.  It went through my pants and my knee like butter.  I felt a tug, and saw it protruding from my Levi's.  I yelled, "It's OK, Dad, it didn't even cut me!"   Dad knew better, and that day I learned just how painless it is for an animal when a sharp broadhead goes through it unexpectedly.  

A trip to the ambulance, and a few stitches later, I was as good as new, almost.  It had slid along my knee and over the kneecap, and didn't do much damage at all.  A few inches in a different direction, and my dad might have watched me bleed to death out my femoral artery that night.  That thing sure took a long time to heal, since two of the blades slid along my kneecap and the underside (inside, along the bone) of the cut was significantly wider than the cut in the skin.  

Left a nifty scar though.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
I used to shoot a compound bow.......   :rolleyes:

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Bareshafting broadhead, Check. Shooting skunks, Check. Back in the training wheel days I popped a huge coon with a rubber blunt from a 90 lb bow. It didn't even knock the coon over. The arrow just bounced off his chest and he took off as fast as he could. Never came back for more cat food though.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Years back I would go on short hunts, bout a mile or two and have my wife pick me up at a designated spot. She could always tell when I was coming in because I word a canister full of skunk scent.
Anyway since I had the skunk screen on my belt and didn't want to take it off I jumped in the back of the pickup and had her take off for my next spot. I laid my bow on the cab and bent over to pick something up and the bow fell off and the arrow went through the window and stuck in her calf. She instantly almost bled out. filled the floor board up with blood before I even knew what happened. I got her to the hospital with a tourniquet on and she got stitched up.
Any at her job I instantly became Cupid. I always thought yea , Stupid Cupid. I almost killed the love of my life.
Anyway its the only time I have ever been scared almost witless and my wife was no help. Scared her really bad too.

Needless to say . I have been extremely careful every since with broadheads.

God bless, Steve

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Back in the 80's I bought my first Judo point, you know the points you can't loose. Glued it to a cedar shaft and let her fly. Never saw that arrow and Judo again. She skipped off bare ground and was launched into the unknown.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
I have got a ton of funny "I thought it was a good idea" stories...

I was sitting in a church revival service one night, listening to a really good, respectable, intelligent guest preacher.  That night, he suddenly pulled out a bow and some arrows for his sermon illustration.  He called for a volunteer from the crowd, and a guy I knew raised his hand and scrambled up to the platform.  This volunteer guy was a nice guy, but he wasn't exactly the sharpest broadhead in the quiver, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, the preacher handed him the bow and the arrows, and then turned away from him and started explaining his object lesson to the crowd.  Meanwhile, the volunteer was trying to put an arrow on the bow... backwards.  The preacher heard some snickers, and turned and looked at the guy.  He stopped in mid-sentence and said, "No, son, you put them on THIS way..."  The preacher then turned back to the crowd and started talking again.  

Corrected, the volunteer nocked an arrow on the string.  Then he turned toward the audience and started to draw the bow... with the arrow pointed right into the crowd.  (It was a big auditorium, for about 5,000 people, and there were probably 1,000 in attendance.)  The preacher, upon sensing the sudden uneasiness of the crowd, turned to the volunteer, saw what he was doing, and shouted, "NO, DON'T DO THAT!"   It shocked the volunteer, who had the bow drawn back about 1/3 of the way.  He suddenly released the string and that arrow went sailing through the air.  It wasn't going very fast, but people were jumping and ducking.  The arrow arched about 20 feet into the air, then came down about 20 rows back, hitting an unoccupied seat.  

The preacher was MORTIFIED, he had turned instantly pale when he saw the arrow fly.  After it hit, he said, "GO SIT DOWN!" and took the bow and other arrows away from the guy.  I had the opportunity to sit at a luncheon next to that preacher about 20 years later.  It was strange, though... when I brought up the subject of that long-ago revival service, he clearly wanted to talk about something else.  Anything else.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
My first bowfishing rig didn't have a safety slide on the arrow and the first time I tried it out the line snagged on the reel and pulled the nock end of the arrow back into my hand.  Good times

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I thought it was a good idea to start with traditional archery.....  :help:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
FD, and now you know it was a great idea. :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©