3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It seemed like a good idea  (Read 873 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It seemed like a good idea
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Nice one Archie!!

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Back in the mid eighties, I decided to try skunk musk as a cover scent, and bought a one ounce dropper top bottle of it from the guy I got my trapping supplies from. I generally carried the bottle sealed in a ziplock bag, but decided one day to just put it in my top coat pocket. What the heck, It didn't have much odor with the top on, and I kept my coat outside anyway. Somehow the cap loosened up a little, and when I bent over to take a closer look at some tracks, enough leaked out to soak through my coat, and down to the skin on my chest. I couldn't see through the tears, and had to go back home and "try" to get it off before I could hunt. What a mess! Not the smartest thing I've ever done, but I did learn from it.   :D  

Bob

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I know some of you were around long enough to use that two part skunk scent ( mix drops of part A with drops of part B).  Ever get into trouble using that stuff inappropriately ?
   :rolleyes:  
ChuckC

Offline jgharris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Back a year or two ago (back when I fell back in love with traditional archery/bowhunting) and when I shot aluminum arrows I decided to try to shoot a 1916 arrow without a tip, just the insert.  When I shot the arrow whipsawed across the yard like a high speed boomerang finally coming to a stop about 30 yards from me.  Scared the piss out of me at the time.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
Hey Bisch you shoulda hada harness on!   :biglaugh:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
When I was about 12 or 13 I was checking my trap line in a local woodlot and also keeping an eye out for small game. There was a skunk caught up in one of my sets.  No thinking was involved!  I drew a field pointed arrow and shot that skunk in the back of the head.  Guess what his last living act was.  :)

Then, there was the incident of the aluminum boat stored behind the target bale.  I had never, ever missed that bale before!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline stonewall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
drove 65 miles oneway to deer hunt before light , hike in get up stand , drink a cup of coffee and get a big dip. Now I'm ready, get an arrow out to nock, all I have is a quiver full field points

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Way back in the early 70's I went over to my mentors home to check out the new recurve he had just completed.  Knocking on the kitchen door he said to come in, he was just about to shoot his first arrow.  My friend was standing in the hallway and was about to loose an arrow down the hallway and into the garage.  I took a quick peek down to the target so I could see how the arrow flew just as the arrow crashed through the glass window of the garage door.  Guess in his excitement to shoot the new bow he forgot to open the door out to the garage.
habujohn

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by jgharris:
Back a year or two ago (back when I fell back in love with traditional archery/bowhunting) and when I shot aluminum arrows I decided to try to shoot a 1916 arrow without a tip, just the insert.  When I shot the arrow whipsawed across the yard like a high speed boomerang finally coming to a stop about 30 yards from me.  Scared the piss out of me at the time.
Touched off a bareshaft I forgot to put a tip on. Shaft went about fifteen yard listing slightly to the left, then took a ninety degree left turn, heading down between my house and the neighbors...had no idea where it ended up. About six months later, I found it in the front yard, in the top of a gardenia bush.
My bow won't group hollow points very well.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Walking down a trail thru a grown up clear cut about dark when I found a couple a water oak acorns in my pocket. Pulled them out and flung 'em. My fairly new tab is still out there somewhere.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
when I was 16, I put a bottle of deer urine in my pocket but didn't screw the cap on right.

I had to leave the woods with an arrow knocked because i was in danger of every loved crazed buck following me home.

My little brother was shooting at a tennis ball swinging on a  string. The arrow hit square and came straight back. Unfortunately he put a hole through his new sweatshirt, Luckily it passed through even though he was wearing it, the arrow never touched him.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 02:20:00 PM »
I have a sneaking hunch I might not be the only one to have done this, but nobody else has admitted to it so far.

When I was about 65 years younger, I had a nice lemonwood target bow (18 - 20# at my draw?)

We had several acres behind the house where my buddy and I used to shoot at all kind of targets. Eventualy, the question arose "Wonder how high this arrow will shoot?"

Still doesn't sound familiar to anyone?

Answer is "Pretty high". In fact, out of sight. "Gee, I wonder where it is coming down. Should stand still, or run?"
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
A few years ago, while I was walking back to my truck from an evening hunt. I ran into a rattle snake stretched across the sandy road. I wanted it. The problem was that It was dark and I couldn't shoot my bow and hold my mini mag light at the same time. So I put my flash light between my teeth and pointed it at the rattler. I drew back and let it go. The string hit the flashlight and ripped it out of my mouth so hard that I thought I lost my front teeth.But after a quick check all was good. Except my light was now by the snake and he wasn't in a very good mood.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
I got my very first bow with paper route money when I was 16.  Typical lemonwood selfbow of that time, probably about 30 pounds or so.  Took it home and was shooting at a target on a cardboard box from the back porch.  My little brother comes up and asks if I can hit the garbage can in the far corner.  Of course I had to try.  Figured the arrow would dent the can and I'd pound it out.  The field point arrow went right through both sides of the can and between fence slats into the neighbor's back yard.  I had to go ask the neighbor to let me get my arrow back, which was nothing to my dad's reaction to two holes in the garbage can he filled with water to run the the gas out of his outboard motor whenever he rented a boat to go fishing.  I had to buy a new garbage can with my paper money.  A lesson in the penetration power of an arrow!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
A fwe years ago I decided to put up new stands in mid to late March to avoid poison ivy and such while having a good idea on trails and not too hot. Little did I know that you can still get poison ivy oil from the leafless vines! I now cut the vines on possible tree stand prospects in march and wait until I know that the vine is dead before handling.

Good thread!

God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
I got my first bow when I was 7.  It was a cheap Kmart toy bow with suction cup arrows.  I lost those pretty quick so my dad gave me some old easton aluminum shafts without tips.  One day I shot straight into the air.... and hit the power line to our house...Dad still does not know about that one. I think the statute of limitations has expired.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
My buddy's hounds had a bear treed in a real limby fir tree. So he offered to take my picture with the bear if I climbed in the tree with it. I went up the backside as she was occupied with the dogs on the front side. I got fairly close when she realized she had company in the tree. I can still hear her claws on the bark as she came around the tree in a hurry just above me. If you study the picture closely you can see that the crap didn't have much hang time until it started hitting me in the head. Lots of it and wet.     :knothead:

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
It seemed like a good idea......to join Tradgang.
homebru

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
I have a sneaking hunch I might not be the only one to have done this, . . .  "Wonder how high this arrow will shoot?"

Still doesn't sound familiar to anyone?
Sounds very familiar to me!  

I launched a Broadhead at a blue grouse on a limb about 20 feet straight up in a cottonwood tree.  Shot was perfect and the grouse came tumbling out of the tree and landed almost at my feet.  Then I thought about the arrow!!  I ran to the tree trunk and glued myself to it.  A few seconds later the arrow came down about 15 feet away!
Monterey

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dick in Seattle:
I got my very first bow with paper route money when I was 16.  Typical lemonwood selfbow of that time, probably about 30 pounds or so.  Took it home and was shooting at a target on a cardboard box from the back porch.  My little brother comes up and asks if I can hit the garbage can in the far corner.  Of course I had to try.  Figured the arrow would dent the can and I'd pound it out.  The field point arrow went right through both sides of the can and between fence slats into the neighbor's back yard.  I had to go ask the neighbor to let me get my arrow back, which was nothing to my dad's reaction to two holes in the garbage can he filled with water to run the the gas out of his outboard motor whenever he rented a boat to go fishing.  I had to buy a new garbage can with my paper money.  A lesson in the penetration power of an arrow!
Hi, Dick.  Nice to see you here.  What have you been up to?
Monterey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©