3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It seemed like a good idea  (Read 874 times)

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It seemed like a good idea
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
in high school I got bored with shooting at the bale and small game and made a running deer using a long cable, an AC motor and a clothes line pulley. I was so proud of it after I got it rigged up, so I  plugged it in and turned it on then ran over to grab my bow and an arrow.  I was so focused on the moving deer that I didn't realize that I released just as the bow passed in front of a 12' aluminum boat 15 feet behind it. When I hit the boat I panicked and forgot that I needed to turn the motor off when the deer got to the end of the cable, so I ended up busting the brackets that held the pulley on the same maiden voyage. The 1-shot running deer target.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
I was hunting a turkey one morning that refused to come in. I don't know how many times I moved on him, with the hope that he'd eventually show up in range. He would start my way and shut up, then he'd gobble again twenty minutes later from a different spot further away. After about four hours of this he shut up, and I didn't hear him again. I stayed there, hidden in a depression in front of a stump for probably another hour, straining to hear something, anything. Nothing. I decided to call it quits for the morning, and noticed that the ground around me was covered with leeks. I found a stout stick, and started digging. If I wasn't going to have turkey for dinner, at least I'd have some fresh leeks. I had just about what I wanted for dinner, when I got the feeling that somebody was watching me. I slowly looked to my left towards the stump I'd called from about 25 yards away, and there's the turkey, watching me on my knees digging in the dirt with a stick. My bow was laying on the ground next to me, but the turkey made tracks for a friendlier neighborhood when I reached for it. I'd almost swear he was smiling as he turned to run. That was the first time I called a bird into range by imitating a turkey scratching in the leaves. For some reason, those leeks didn't taste as good to me as they usually do.

Bob

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
I think I was about 13. I had a cheap old fiberglass bow. My dad and I had just finished putting a new roof on the house a few days before. Well, apparently shooting at the compressed hay bales wasn't exciting enough for me so I decided to shoot an arrow straight up in the air. I lost sight of it and I was too terrified to move for fear of running into it. Well, I then heard a terrible bang and I saw my arrow sticking out of that brand new roof that my dad and I had just finished. I don't think I ever got on the roof that fast in my life. You know, that thing never leaked.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Ron, I was just going to tell how I shot straight up, with a broadhead when I was about 13.  The arrow went up and up and up, suddenly it stopped and switched ends coming down, down, down. It looked like it was going to hit me so I ran, but it still looked like it would hit me, so I ran again.  Finally, it landed-about 10 feet from me.  Had I stood still, it would have been 50 or 60 feet away.  No more straight-ups!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©