3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cresting, Splicing, etc. HELP  (Read 484 times)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Cresting, Splicing, etc. HELP
« on: April 11, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
Alright guys,

I think I have decided to give splicing and cresting a try. I have been using wraps and standard precut trufights forever, but want to take it to the next level and give myself something to do in the off season.

With that being said I would like to get some opinions from those who have experience on what to use with some of this stuff.

1) Crester:

Do you guys prefer the spinrite or Bohning? I have been leaning towards the spinrite..

2) Paint:

Do you guys use Bohning, True North, or something else?? Do you put a clear coat on after cresting? If so with what?

3) Feather cutting:

Do you guys use a feather chopper or a Burner.
Of course the chopper is much cheaper, but am looking for what does the best job.

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Cresting, Splicing, etc. HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
Good luck! I love seeing all the cool looking work from the arrow builders on here, but don't have the patience to do it myself!

Bisch

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Thanks Bisch,

I got married about 4 months ago, and now living in a condo so no longer have the luxury of walking into the backyard to shoot when I'm bored.

Gotta find something to keep me occupied when I'm sitting around at the house with my lovely wife!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Hmmmmm.  I have a Bohning crester, and it works fine, though I know a spin rite enables a better job.  Just haven't been willing to spend the extra cash for one.  

I use Bohning lacquers as well.  Provide an excellent finish, but I'm probably missing a few thousand brain cells as a result.

I like a burner.  Unlimited shapes, and regardless of the shape, all the feathers will be burned to the same height/length, which sometimes doesn't occur with a chopper. Good lujck.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
You should get more than a few ideas here. Me, I own 3 cresters but like my Spinrite best, the Phillips is very good but the O rings are a little busy. If you are referring to the new Bohning I do not know. I have one of their Jr's which works well but the shafts have to be dead straight.
I use the Vario choppers from Herb's Archery. Lil Choppers need some learning curve I got tired of puzzing with. Bear Paw has a chopper similar to Herb's. I think Kustom King carries those.
Had a burner, I was challenged at bending the wires. Also a learning curve here as wire heats up.
Paints, Bohning paints smell. May be a consideration where you live. But if you like a high gloss finish it is the one. This is my go to for wood and alum. I spray my carbons, Rustolem 2X for plastic. I use Pactra RC paints to crest them. I also use wraps. I crest them with my Bohning cresting paints then wipe over a clear coat of MinWax Polycrilic waterbased using a foam brush.
I use Saunders NPV glue  "

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
thanks guys.

Good info so far.

Please keep it coming.

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
1. I use the Spinrite as well.  It's expensive, but I use it a lot since I make a lot of arrows for myself, friends and other folks.  I've had the best luck with that crester because you can get it to get even the tiniest wobble out of a shaft...helps out a lot if you're doing super thin stripes and stripes at the nock...the tiniest wobble will make the lines uneven.

2. Paint: for cap dip, I use an exterior water based gloss enamel from any paint store.  Color it to what I want, thin with water and dip.  I made my own dip tubes with PVC pipe...cheap and easy.  Cresting paint: I use Testor's model paint.  I flip back and forth between oil based enamel or the water based stuff.  I can't decide on what I like best...sometimes it's based on color availability at the hobby shop.

3. Feathers: I use the feather chopper that 3Rivers offers.  If you buy a chopper, here's some advice...before chopping for an entire dozen arrows...chop for 1 arrow.  You might not be happy with the length or height...especially height.  The ones from 3Rivers are too tall for my taste and end up slowing the arrow down and making a lot of moise.  I ended up drilling out the bottom plate to make the feathers a little shorter than what the plate originally allowed...I'm happy with it now.  When you chop, be sure to have a rubber mallet and a very solid floor (concrete) to hit on.  If you don't have a solid base, you may run into issues...not chopping the feather all the way.

A burner will take a lot of practice and patience to get the wire just how you want it.  Also, you run the risk of slightly burning your finish when you burn feathers on your arrows.  It's not a big deal if you don't mind, but you have to do it quick to avoid it.

When I seal my arrows, I use Daly's ProFin.  It's a bit expensive, but a gallon will last you forever...and it's tough as nails.  It's ready to go out of the can...no need to thin before you dip.  I do 3 coats...and sometimes sand with 0000 steel wool depeding on how I want the finish to look.  Be careful with any oil baseed finish if you crest with metallic paint...you run the risk of the metal flakes running when you dip.  I let my crest cure for a couple days if I use metallic and haven't run into an issue with ProFin.

Adam

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
Spinrite crester

spray can crowns & testors enamel for cresting

Feather burner

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
I use the spinrite crestor, minwax stain, polyurathane 4 coats with 0000 steel wool sanding between coats, Krylon spray can for crowns and testors model car enamel for cresting. Top everything off with the poly. Always allow plenty of time between each step for drying. Have never had any run of colors. Good luck and have fun.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I use the spinright, Bohning lacquers and a burner.  Seal cresting with one or two full length dips of clear AFTER cresting.

But, here is a warning!!!!  If you use a burner, DO NOT USE IT INDOORS!!!!  Your first use of a burner - OUTDOORS - will tell you why.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
If you just got married 4 months ago, why are you getting bored?    :knothead:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
If you just got married 4 months ago, why are you getting bored?     :knothead:  
+ 2   ;)
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Funny Pat!

Thanks for all the info so far.

I'm sure the choppers work well, but from the research I have done I am leaning towards a burner, as it seems to be easier upon proper set up, and very precise.

For you guys that use them, do you use the form kits that 3rivers offers? I would like to be able to do basic shield, parobolic, and banana cut. To me that seems like it would make shaping easier..

please advise!

Thanks!

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
I have the "forms" from 3 Rivers.  They work well but still need tweaking to get the wire right.  Be patient with the wire forming and remember that the wire will expand as it heats up so don't burn all your feathers without testing for final result.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks Arne, great advice.

Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©