3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to get a shoot going at my club.  (Read 300 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying to get a shoot going at my club.
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
I'm pretty new to trad. I'd like to attempt to get my archery club to do a trad only shoot. What types of shots are the usual? I don't get a lot of opportunities to shoot trad only shoots so that's why I'm asking. I'm wondering about distances and the like. Any input would be appreciated.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to get a shoot going at my club.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
The good thing about Traditional only is the targets,don't get,as,much abuse.
When I was able to shoot all day the 3D shoots I enjoyed the most included varried terrain, up and down hill shots. Challenging shots with part of the animal covered but not too far.
Very clos,shots are fun.
Do a lot of 15 to 20 yard shots then mix in a close one followed by a 28 to 30 yard shot.

If close to a major hunting season, like deer season keep all shots at a,reasonable distance and easier to let them build confidence.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Hunting distances and situations are my favorites. A lot of hard work getting good shots set up but it makes a big difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
I used to run a Traditional Only shoot every year at our bow club...

Your 2 BIGGEST hurdles will be, "PR" (Trying to get a club full of mostly compound shooters, to swallow the idea) and ADVERTISEING!!!!! GET THE WORD OUT!!! On here & any other forum possible!!! Posters! Flyers! A normal 3-D shoot may bring in 75-100 shooters for all classes... A Traditional Only shoot??? Maybe 20-30...

UNLESS, You get planning & get the word out ahead of time!!!!! My personal experiance??? Traditional Shooters, Will travel ALOT FARTHER, for a Traditional Shoot!!!!! By planning ahead, you can show the club that your shoot will have a good turnout. Post it on the Traditional Events & Gatherings forum! If you can show them you have 50 folks comeing from within a 100 mile radious... THAT is an ATTENTION GETTER!!!!!

As for the course... Leave the basic 3-D course set-up! I used to shoot with a bunch of guys that shot 2 arrows at every target... 1st from the "Top Gun" stake... Then the 2nd arrow from the Traditional stake for thier score. It was ALOT of fun!!!!! At the pactice butts, you can always set up a couple "Novelty Shoots"... A "Last Man Standing" Iron Deer target, is always good for alot of laughs!!!!!

Don't be scared, and jump right in!!!!! It's WELL WORTH all the hard work!!!  :bigsmyl:  

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
We held a Trad Shoot at a club I was active back in 90s.  Dont expect much help from compound guys.  We would also try to make the shots more interesting than the typical manicured, free of obstruction and long distance targets.  We would have shooters bend, twist, avoid trees and limbs, pick holes to shoot through, and keep them mostly 25yds and shorter...though a few 30-35 shots for the caribou or moose or similar.

Would get a few guys that shoot both trad and wheels/cams and they would always complain about the tricky shots and hated our NO MANICURE rule...if a limb is in the way then squat, kneel or change shooting position but DO NOT alter the vegetation.  They complained it was too risky to shoot their high dollar carbon arrows.

We went for fun and challenge rather than just long distance shots...had a moving hog target on pulleys too.

It was always a lot of work...but was well worth it in the end.  As they were never about making money...more about expsosing others to our sport and having a good time with like minded archers.  

Good luck.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
One of my favorite shoots was the Robin Hood shoot in Elberton GA. John Hood's son would spend 2 weeks just setting up the ranges and he always did an excellent job of it. The last year it was on a few other guys spent the two days before the shoot setting up the targets and you could really tell the difference. On some shots you had to wait until others ahead of you walked behind your target or there was a car or truck parked on the highway right behind the target.
Great advise above. It really takes a lot of thought setting up the range(s). Also, good advertising, with flyers, etc. and plenty of time ahead will make a difference too.
 I never keep score at 3D shoots. I buy a score card to support the shoot but I shoot for kill shots and they don't always relate to the 12 ring. I also like to have fun at shoots as do most of the folks I shoot with. We never get too serious about it all.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the great ideas. If I can't get it moving for this year, maybe with extra planning we can something even better for next year. I know it's going to be a hard sell. I've only seen a few trad guys at any of our shoots.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
What part of Pa. are you from Bob? We travel to a bunch of shoots around the area. Trad shoots are tough but you can do it if you get the word out there soon enough. We will be watching for your shoot. Good luck!

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
longbow58, I'm right down the road from you in hellam york, county

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
The guys above may already be assuming this, but all trad shoots I've ever been to are all unmarked distances, and no range finders or binoculars allowed. Amazing how much faster things move when people aren't peering through binoculars or rangefinders and Saturday night quarterbacking every single stinkin' shot!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Research all shoots in pa and a joining states and plan your shoot when there is no other shoots going on you can not compete against another good big shoot.    Widow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
You didn't mention if your club owns targets or not. They are a HUGE investment and most surrounding clubs in your area are putting out 30 per shoot.

You can put on a shoot with a nucleus of about a dozen guys clearing walking paths, putting out the stakes and targets and manning the grill on shoot day. A small utility trailer and 4 wheeler or two helps.

Make sure you list your shoots on 3-Dshoots.com.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
My son and I put together a trad only 3D this yr and last yr. The local club had a little resistance but we have pulled it off two yrs. in row. The first yr. we had 17 shooters. The last shoot we 29, so are growing. We had the shots very fun. Bonus shots, doe only tag shots, crazy arrow quiver bonus shot, iron turkey bonus shot. And a money shot. Also the last shoot we had chili dogs for lunch. I did ALOT of flyers and communication on internet. We will for sure be doing it agian next spring, maybe sooner. Go for it and have fun.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I always like at least one moving target. Think my favorite I've shot is the flying fish  :)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
The shoot in Elberton, GA had 2 moving shots. The first was a buck chasing a doe. Two arrows, two shots...quickly! The second one was a wolf that was slung with a bungee cord. That bugger zipped. Both ran along a cable with pulleys on the targets.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
First thing you need to do is go to a club meeting and make sure you can have a "trad equipment" only shoot.  Your club board may not allow this as is excludes other members from using the club facility.

Our club has a league shoot every day of the week in the winter.  The trad guys wanted a trad only league on Sunday nights and some members threw a fit.  They finally allowed the trad only league but had to allow a compound shooter to participate if they wanted to but the club president asked all members to respect the wishes of the trad archers so no non traditional archer joined the league.

After you get approval, the work begins. The lay out is most important for the obvious safety reasons.  Obtaining targets, building back stops, making shooting stakes and making direction arrows are just some of the things you may want to consider.

I am on holding my third annual memorial archery shoot honoring my dad.  After 3 years I just about have it down but it took a couple of years to get the kinks out.  I set up 20, 3 D and 2 D targets  with sand bunkers.  This year I am adding a Friday night coon shoot.

I hope you can make this happen.

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
My club currently runs 3-d shoots so the targets aren't an issue.
I will go to the next club meeting and see if I can get this to fly. Like I said earlier, it may not happen until next year but it's worth a try.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©