3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question..folks hunting states bordering Wisconsin  (Read 385 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Question..folks hunting states bordering Wisconsin
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
Do archers need to wear backtags or some external license ID in your state ( while hunting, of course).   Just curious if we are the only state that requires it .

ChuckC

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question..folks hunting states bordering Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
IL does not require the tag to be visible, simply in posession of the person hunting.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Iowa has no such requirement.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Time to dump the back tags in Wisconsin, they only make noise and put holes in garments. Always been curious if they ever actually helped catch a violator or just an outdated law like so many laws here.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
MN. Does not require back tags

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
We were just talking about this in the WTA booth yesterday.  I think it was mentioned that only one other state has that requirement.  Maybe Pennsylvania?  Not really sure, but a real pain in the butt.

From my understanding, to be legal it must be attached to your outermost garment.  But if you wear a backpack you would be illegal if it covers the tag.  So to comply with the letter of the law you would attach it to the pack on the way in, then transfer to your coat while hunting, then back to the pack for the walk out.  It also may not be obscured by a coat hood, so if you have a hood on your coat you must have it up at all times or wear the tag lower on your back.

Ridiculous!   Time for this one to go away for good!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
No in Michigan.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Best thing we ever did was do away with back tags. I haven't lost a tag since. Or, forgot to switch it from coat to coat.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks.  That case about the shooter up north always comes up regarding the need for one, but as I recall, he took his off in the woods anyway.

For archers, who need to get close to the critter, they are a major pain, not to mention. .  if you are hiding, or in a treestand, your back is against the brush or tree anyway.  

I wonder if there is still time to post a citizen request for change for tonights DNR meeting ?
ChuckC

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
I understand the "outdated" thoughts on this law.  However, I have a situation where it came in handy.  A friend of mine from work bought some land in your great state.  He is obviously not there every day and not able to keep an eye on it as much as he would like (4.5 hrs away).  His trail cam caught the back patch number of a trespasser/potential poacher.  He was able to get a name and address and confront the issue.  Just a reason for it I suppose.  Otherwise I agree, obnoxious rule.

Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Pennsylvania does require tags to be displayed on your back.  Never really bothered me a whole lot other than the occasional snag on branches.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
My tag is on my backpack all season long.
I'm friends with several wardens and can't imagine any of them pinching a guy for "not wearing" his tag while in a tree with the backpack hanging right next to him, unless the person is committing other violations, then sure, "tag" it on.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
Chuck,

A couple of things.  First, yes there is time to formulate a resolution for your county meeting tonight.  They read them and vote on them at the meeting.  Go to the Conservation Congress site and find the outline.  It's not complicated.

Secondly, for the past several years there have been plans to eliminate the back tag.  A study was done to determine the effectiveness (polled the wardens) as well as how many other states require them.  The results were that it is an outdated rule that really has little going for it.  I had thought that this was to be the year to stop requiring them but I got my back tag in the mail with all the other licenses so maybe it's not this year after all.

In any case, ask the Congress Rep for your county and the local DNR folks at the meeting tonight as they may have an updated timetable.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
Pennsylvania does require it but I rarely wear mine. I always keep it in my pack. I've ran into the Wardens on public land one time and they never gave me any trouble for not having it on my back, so I've never bothered.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Not to mention, Wisconsin's is so Darn Big compared to say NY's back tag size.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 06:08:00 AM »
Regulations changed in Pa,don't have to display just have on you.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
Pete, I had one all written up and pretty and I went to print it for the meeting last night, only to find out the grandaughter used up all the printer ink and didn't tell us it was empty.

I will get the request to the DNR anyway and will pursue it again for next year as well.  Those are crazy.  

Speaking of crazy. . .  were you at the Dane county meeting ?  O M G !

NBK, frankly, I do the same, but it opens the door to an unwanted violation that I would rather do without.
ChuckC

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
I hear you Chuck.  I don't want to break any rules either because hunting is supposed to be relaxing, not looking over our shoulders.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
I do it the same as NBK.  My Wisconsin tag is always attached to the back of my backpack, and stays on it as it hangs from a hook as I'm treestand hunting.  Hopefully there won't be any issues over this method.

Bernie

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
The worst part is that not only are they outdated and useless...they also cost money to produce.  I bet they cost several dollars to make, which doesn't seem like much, but with a million of hunters...there goes millions of dollars for nothing.

I attach my tag to my safari tuff quiver then hang the quiver from my bow hook.  Ironically that makes it more visible than if it was on my back while sitting in a tree, though officially it is likely illegal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©