3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?
« on: April 13, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
I am starting to get in the market for my first custom and would like to know what you guys thinks is the best shooting custom bow you have ever owned.  

I currently have a widow and love it, but do think there are more "shootable" bows out there.  I can shoot it very well, but it isn't a bow that I hit where i'm looking very often.  

Accuracy and speed should be highly kept in mind.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
It's up to you how you ask your question, of course, but you might get more meaningful answers if you specify what kind of bow you're in the market for.  I.e. it's hard to compare a broom handle longbow with a short recurve with a long recurve.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
What is the best SHOOTING bow you have ever owned?  
The one I practiced the most with.  Not trying to be a smart aleck here--that's the truth.  Currently I'm shooting a Samick Journey (CHEAP bow--retails for around $130), and I shoot it better than anything right now.  At one time I shot an osage selfbow better than anything else--it's got one of the most uncomfortable grips I've ever put in my hand, but when I was shooting it a lot I could really shoot it well...won the Howard Hill 2 years in a row with it.  Probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it now.

Accuracy isn't in the bow, it's in the archer.  Some bows seem to be more forgiving, but they all fling the arrow in the direction you point it.

In the better bows, and even some of the really cheap ones, speed difference is minimal.  I'd bet the Samick I have will shoot as fast or faster than a lot of much more expensive bows on the market.  With a good string, proper tuning, the right arrow, etc. and ESPECIALLY a good release the differences will be negligible.

FWIW, the #1 thing I'd look at before buying is the bowyer or company's warranty.  Get it in writing.  A friend of mine got ripped off for around $1,000 by a bowyer that has gotten rave reviews on web sites.  He made all sorts of great promises on the phone, but the warranty was verbal--i.e., useless.  I have the delaminated bow on the wall in my shop.

Opinions are just that.  What one guy swears by, the next may swear at.  Bow designs vary a ton, and someone likes every one of them else they wouldn't be in business.

I'd check around and see what the guys who make at least part of their living shooting bows are shooting.  'Course most of them could shoot any bow well, but they have their favorites and reasons for choosing them.  Even then, you might not like it.

Check out all you can, take your time, do your homework.  IMO that is.

Chad

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
Daniel... I've only owned a few bows... so take this for what it is worth. I've owned a couple BWs (PSA and PCH) along with an original Bob Anderson Zipper Extreme, a few "factory bows" like Bear's and Martins... and a real nice Toelke Whip (LB).

But the best shooting bow that I have ever shot is the other one in my signature, a 56" Kempf Kwyk Styk with static tips. I've only owned it a few weeks, but already shoot it better than any I've ever owned.

This may be a case of just finding a bow that fits me best... or it could be that with time... I may decide to try a different one and find I like it better.

"The eyes of man are never full."
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Best shooting bows I own are the ones in my signature. Once I have taken the time to get the right arrow set up and properly tuned. I can stack arrows with any of them. What ever bow you choose take the time to set it up right.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
As far as you trying to find the best custom, that's ALL up to you. Barry Wensel said it best when he told me bows are like trucks. Some @$$'s like Chevys better than a Dodge...you need to handle them for your self. Now as far as the best that I shoot, that's all my Widows (I've owned almost all of them), Tall Tines, Schafer, Tolke Chinook, RER arroyo.....there are a bunch. You won't go wrong with either.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
For me-Kanati- or any bow with a forward handle-just points extremely well and no slouch in the speed department either

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
It's not so much a specific bow but a type of bow for me...I tend to shoot 3 piece takedowns with short HEAVY risers the best. The heavier the better. Helps keep my bow hand steady at the shot, and I'm so much more accurate.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Toelke Super D
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
At the risk of being branded a smart ask, I'd have to say whichever bow I'm shooting now. I've owned an awful lot of bows during the short time I've been shooting actively again. I'm sure I didn't do a lot of the early bows justice due to sloppy release, being over-bowed, and not having a clue as to what I was doing.

I don't own one today that doesn't shoot well for me and I hope I will be shooting all of them better after the Rod Jenkins clinic I plan to attend.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »
Recurve- 60" Silvertip

Longbow- 62" Toelke Super D
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
...I hope I will be shooting all of them better after the Rod Jenkins clinic I plan to attend.  
You will.  Best money you'll ever spend shooting a bow.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
For me, my BW MB,second, my Titan ll with Centaur LB limbs.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Had a Mohawk longbow that shot fantastic!!!
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
It is an individual thing, but for me it was a welch dakota pro Hunter or an A&H JT riser with a button. Wish I had not sold the A&H but I just the thoughts of that button in the woods annoyed me. I could consistently shoot it 40 yards. I still have the dakota but it sits  on the self unstrung. Currently, I shoot a centaur. It is a great bow. I wish Jim made a 64 inch with the omf of my 62.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
It was my old Stillwater Aberden 3pc T/D recurve, however my Shrew Classic Hunter is pretty amazing too!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Something else to consider....

Check around and find out who the top shots are at tournaments, and who kills the most critters with a bow (some will overlap).  Then look at what bows they shoot...you might find there are some that aren't represented much if at all, but you will also find that there's a bunch of different bows being used to get the job done.  

Point being, there's no one or two bows that are head and shoulders better for everyone.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
Pronghorn Longbow smooth and just sweet to shoot.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
I shot against a wonderful fellow a few years back at The Muzzy Shoot... His bow looked like a yard sale find... His arrows, well no two were alike...

Anyway, he kicked my butt! Point being, not shooting where you are looking all the time may not be the bow... It can be arrows not tuned right... Or just you... Just sayin'...     :dunno:     ... Maybe your BW is a bit too heavy...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
The best shooting bow for anyone is the one that encourages them to shoot the way they shoot the best. The trick is to find that bow, the next trick is to stick with that bow. I still think that Black Widow has the most consistent quality level of any major bow company.  If the Black Widow matches what you do, there is really no need to look further. If a BW is not shooting where you want it to, there may be issues to deal with before an accurate choice can be made.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©