3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
From the three bows I have ever owned, I have to say the one I currently own... The Bodnik Cayuga. One wheelie, one recurve and one longbow.
Wheelie: Barnett Sidewinder(sold years ago)
Recurve: Quicks Peregrine II
Longbow: Bodnik Cayuga
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Blacktail elite for a recurve and ACS CX for longbow and I have owned a LOT of bows. BW's included which I thought the best BW was the MA II hands down.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Without a doubt it is my JD Berry Morningstar ASL longbow
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
I love my JD Berry Vixen, but I shoot my HHA Wesley Special better. I attribute it to the extra draw weight - forces my release to be cleaner is all I can think.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
All I can say is shoot as many different once that you can, find one that fits your shooting style

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stickbow:
All I can say is shoot as many different once that you can, find one that fits your shooting style
Smart advice. I attended a 3-D shoot yesterday and got to shoot at least 6 other bows that day. I do it everytime I go to a shoot. It's just a smart thing to do.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
For me it was a 66" Asbell Bighorn. But, I had shoulder problems, and the 65# became too much. Should have bought lighter limbs when the opportunity was there.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
The bow below and in my signature.  I've wanted a take down for years but never found one that shot as well as this one so it's been my keeper...

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Chad nailed it Brother... There are exceptions,  but not many. A friend of mine sent me a longbow last Friday that I shoot better than any bow, ever. Unfortunately, he does not make bows for the public. All bows are not created equal.  :archer:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
I had a Bamboo Longhunter from Archery Traditions that I got back in the 1980's. I traded it for another, stronger Longhunter, which also shot well, but as I got older, I just can't handle it any more. Next, I have two bows from Howard Hill Archery that perform well for me, a Wesley Special and a Cheetah.
Sam

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
I have one bow I can pick up and hit what I am looking at and the arrow is so fast I barely see it. It is a little too short for my draw length., I built it for a 27 in draw. It has a heavy elk antler and phenolic riser,. Water moccasins over carbon./ Maple core. The riser does not seem to flex at all and although it was draw specific for 27 and I am coming up tight at 28 in draw it is just absolutely perfect for me in every way. I put an arrow on the string , look at what I want to shoot and hit it. You just cannot ask for much more in a bow than that.  
It has Steppe Eagle Limbs, they are very narrow , static tips and very stable and fast. I'll try to get some pics up and post one or two. I have built two of the elk antler bows now and love the way both shoot.
God bless, Steve

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
I've got two and for different reasons. My old grizzly I can pick up and shoot very well all the time. My 59 kodiak is more "accurate", I can stack arrows with it , but if I'm not doing what I'm supposed to it's not nearly as forgiving and I'll be way off. Not sure why they behave so differently

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
My Fox Royal Crown, light, feels like part of my hand, point and shoot.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Have not shot many, but my Assenheimer I bought in '95 is still my most accurate bow for me.  Nice mass in the riser and its whisper quiet.  It's been getting all the work prepping for turkeys this spring as well!

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
In hybrids, I like Morrison Shawnees and A&H ACSs; in straight bows, it's Hills and Northern Mist; in modest R/D, it's Robertson, Liberty and Great Northern Critter Gitters (the longer ones no longer made). In recurves, it's an A riser Bear TD or Morrison Cheyenne. All of these do everything I ask of them.  Excellent bows.  There is no one best bow, but a lot of very good ones. My best bow is whatever I happen to be shooting.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Best shooting is subjective...every shooter is different...at different stages in their life and abilities.  So all that you hear from us must be taken with grain of salt...maybe help narrow the choices but you really need to just try some different bows to see how it feels in your hand just hanging there...how it feels when you draw it back to your chin...how it feels upon release...and does it not only point but launch an arrow that seems to read your thoughts...and more importantly...does the bow tickle your soul with a little something you cant explain???

I have had a couple that did that for me...

The first was my Habu in 1999....Chris Cox builds them by himself from start to finish...his tolerances and attention to detail is phenomenal...and the bows shoot outstandingly.  The risers are forward and heavy but they are stable and quiet in your hand.  Great bows and I still have mine and will never get rid of it.  Though not my first choice if hiking or backcountry hunting due to its weight.

Then there is two or three recurves from Robertson Stykbow...light in the hand, the grip is like a dream, with butter smooth limbs out to even longer lengths.  The Fatal Styk I had and sold unfortunately may have been the best shooting recurve I have ever shot and combined with the lightness and silk feel in my hand would have been my GO TO RECURVE.

I shoot mostly longbows now though have a few recurves on wall...the two BEST recurves were both reflex/deflex.  The best was my Mohawk Sparrowhawk I just sold...but I bought it while waiting for a Robertson Primal Styk and did not need to have it hanging on the wall with the Primal Styk now in my home.  The Sparrowhawk has 5 lams of bamboo...a great grip...and the reflex deflex limbs are quiet and quick.  Great bow and he just now started making them again.  That being said, this Robertson Primal Styk is quickly replacing it.  The grip was different and took some getting used to but now it nestles in my hand naturally and I am making shots that catch me by surprise.  Dick was the first bowyer to bring a reflex/deflex design into his longbows many years ago to prove performance and smoothness were possible in a great performing longbow with little to no handshock.  This bow is pure magic.

I have shot Schafer, Black Widow, Bill Stewart, JEffery, Habu, Bruin, Bighorn, Habu, Robertson, Bob Lee, and some vintage (Browning, Bear, Red Wing) recurves...and the Robertson Fatal Styk has to be my recommendation.  That being said...if I was in market for a regular three piece takedown or even a one piece...I would have to give the Stalker Recurves a try I think.....followed by Blacktail and of course Robertson as my GO TO BOW.

For longbows....my Primal Styk is my choice but the Mohawk Sparrowhawk and the Northern Mist I think are the best reflex/deflex longbows out there...for quality, performance, shootability and reputation.

You have a hard decision...recommend you go to ETAR or Compton or somewhere with a big shoot and shoot as many as you can to compare them.  Robertson and some others will send you one to TEST DRIVE.....others will not so finding someone with one you can try or going to a shoot is your only choice.

One option...is to go to RMS Gear and look through their used bows as you can find some pretty good deals and if you buy from them no worries about twisted limbs and such..as they evaluate every bow they sell even the consignments.

Recurve...try Stalker or Robertson.  Longbows....Mohawk or Robertson.

But in the end...you have to choose as what is outstanding for me may be **** to you...and vice versa.

Keep em sharp...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
I have shot many and many are great shooters. But the one that seems to be the "easiest" to shoot accurately  for me is a Habu Vyperkahn
I think it's a combo of the heavier physical weight, longer overall length  and The amazing grip.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
The one bow I have found to shoot the best for me is that one I am able to forget about as I am going through the process of a shot.

It doesn't stand out to me until after I run out of arrows. Nothing striking about it (except maybe looks)at the moment of shooting.

The key is concentration on the process and the target..in that order. Unfortunately the best bow can be not just right some days yet nothing else has changed but me.
It will still shoot very well for me, but my mind won't be "right" on those days for reasons apparently out of my control.

I can't tell you what bow it was I'm talking about because it has been different models/styles on different days and I just can't seem to remember anything else about the experience except the process and the smile at the end.

BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
I'll echo warden415 '' easiest to shoot accurately'' the Habu Vyperkahn. As a long time Zipper owner, I've revisit a Bill Dunn built standard riser bow that's very impressive for repeatability w/ his grip. The one gripe I had w/ Bob Thompson Zippers. I do have a Barry Huson recurve(no longer made) that's much like a Silvertip but IMO show's better woodworking skills. Actually, it's the finest crafted bow I've seen. It also has a very repeatable grip and shoots much like the Tip.

The pre CNC MA widows seem to like me too but I would modify the grip. I really liked the Asbell grip that Widow offers.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
That's easy. 1963 Bear Tamerlane.

Best looking and best shooting that I have ownned. Bought it new with Christmas money when I was 16. Was real steady on those long 55 yard, 65 yard, and 80 yard walk up targets when shooting field archery. Ordered in late December of '62 from pictures seen in Archery magazine from a Bear dealer and it arrived in January '63.  The rosewood on that one was exceptional comparared to the others I saw later at the field ranges. Unfortunately, Bear starting making them ugly in '64 when they added that side plate.  My '63 had a red feather rest and it was just cool.

I was the greatest looking shooter out there with the Tamerlane, but not the best.  One of my instructors did demonstations at the local TV Station shooting into the center of 45 records, so I was just an ordinary shooter, but I stuck a lot in the five zone (bulleye and center scoring area for field archery) with that bow.  However, since it was real heavy, long, and just a target bow, I would not be able to justify spending my money on one today to replace it.  It would be a lousy 3D bow now days for shooting those typical short distances, since a lot of shots at the shoots are under trees, shot squating, of some other weird stance is required, so the bow, which weighed a whole bunch and was heavy on the end of your arm, would not be the best today.

I shoot K. Specials and Kodiaks now for the 3D events, and they just suit me fine. My best now is a 1962, 63-inch Kodiak Special. I like it 'cause there ain't a whole lot of 'em.  It too, like the Tamerlane long ago, kind of makes me look cool. For an old man, that's more important than the score I shoot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©