3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the best SHOOTING bow you have every owned?
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Morrison Shawnee for me.
hunt it

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Palmer 1st
Black Widow very close second

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
I like my bows to fit how I shoot.  If I was a shooter to draw back, anchor, carefully aim, and release, I don't think the same factors would apply.  I prefer to snap shoot, and when I try to do anything else, really bad things happen to my shooting. I have learned that I like a low wrist grip and a bow that starts out with fairly low early string weight, which is why I don't really like recurves or extreme r/d longbows. I think the instinctive aspect of my shooting method is not just in the "aiming" style, but in the feel of drawing the bow too. I feel the progressive draw force curve of a mild r/d or straight limb longbow is best suited to the way I shoot, as feeling the weight increasing in that way acts like a draw check and for me, makes drawing the same, touching the same reference point and releasing much easier.  I don't think all bows are the same in this aspect.  I've owned some very nice recurves and hybrid bows that I just couldn't make this connection with.  Right now I'm shooting my GN Lil Creep a bunch and really liking it, but I can shoot my Yellowstone Halfbreed or my Sentman Icon just as good, provided a take a dozen or 2 shots to adjust to the feel and trajectory of the particular bow.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Black Widow PLX period
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Habu recurve, Habu Vyperkhan, Black Widow MA. I have not shot some of the others that I am interested in such as a Morrison or a Tall Tines. But I will someday.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Predator recurve, Black Widow PCH, and Bear T/D are a few I have settled on and will be keeping.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Thank you for all the replies.  A lot of good information.  I do like the looks of a reverse mounted limb a lot more than standard mounted.  I don't know why, I just do.  

As far as it not hitting exactly where I'm looking, I should have elaborated.  

I am referring to the 1st shot(hunting scenario).  It will almost always hit to the left of where i'm looking.  After a couple shots, it will be hitting where i'm looking.  It's weird.  But it does happen.  If i shoot my Widow and get used to it, when I swap to my longbow it will hit to the right of where i'm looking.  It may very well be me.  But i believe it is the bow.   :)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
That is the allure of the traditional bow I think.  There are so many small variations, not just in wood and style, but handle shape and mass, limb design and draw weight progression, that bows have almost a life energy of their own.  Hand shock is the only factor I have found that turns me off from enjoying a bow.  There is always the quest to find the bow that seems to just "fit".  I have a couple, but the desire to try more is always there, and discussions like this only fuels that fire.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2015, 02:37:00 PM »
Mine is a 60" rigid handled sinew backed yew billet bow I made last year. So smooth, so quick and so accurate. I love that bow, but rarely shoot it. I have too many bows hanging around to love them all equally!

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
You will not find a bow that will make you a better shot. Not everyone likes Widows, but the fact is you cannot get a bow that is significantly better...unless you are one of those weirdos who claim its so much easier to tote a 1 lb stick than a 3 lb stick. Haha!!

As I've pointed out before the mass weight argument stemms from mid-1900's millitary rifle design debate. However, the difference between an AR-15 with 240 rounds of ammo and a M-1 Garand with 240 rounds of ammo is something like 15 lbs, which to a soldier fighting and living in difficult conditions for weeks at a time, is quite significant. Carrying a bow for a day, maybe a few days on end, 2 lbs means nothing. Shooting a heavier bow equals more stability and consistancy all else equal. Some may not like it that way, but the fact remains.

To answer your initial question subjectively, I like my Widow but was impressed enough by my visit to Cris Cox's place to order the Habu Viperkahn. Hopefully I can find a way to bribe him to bump me up on the waiting list...I'll never tell, but if you see me post pics of it before 2016 is over you can guess what happened  ;)

I think I make 6 votes for the Habu...looks like you might have a winner!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
Thank you for all the replies.  A lot of good information.  I do like the looks of a reverse mounted limb a lot more than standard mounted.  I don't know why, I just do.  

As far as it not hitting exactly where I'm looking, I should have elaborated.  

I am referring to the 1st shot(hunting scenario).  It will almost always hit to the left of where i'm looking.  After a couple shots, it will be hitting where i'm looking.  It's weird.  But it does happen.  If i shoot my Widow and get used to it, when I swap to my longbow it will hit to the right of where i'm looking.  It may very well be me.  But i believe it is the bow.     :)  
Daniel... that has been my experience exactly! I recently purchased a Kwyk Styk on the classifieds and my first few shots were to the right about4-5 inches. This was immediately after shooting my PCH.

After shooting the KS more they dialed in and now they hit the mark (when my form is good) as soon as I begin shooting it. I pick up the PCH and, whamo! Off to the left again.

Can't explain it, but that is my experience. A friend told me that I just found the bow that fits my style the best. (Like Maineac said above.)Got to believe it.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
For me a toss up between my 1964 Bear Grizzly and my 21" Hoyt Excel with long ILF limbs. May lean towards the Excel, especially when you add a plunger, you are able to get a real nice tune. The long limbs give a nice smooth draw that is hard to beat, add Carbon/Foam and you really get a do it all bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Longbow - Big Jim Buffalo
Recurve - Wapiti by JK Chastain

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Whichever one I am holding when my head is clear of stress.

Some days its a  Bear Grizzly or Kodiak, Others it's a G&L Mantis or Big River Longbow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mt-tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 08:19:00 PM »
I have only owned one stickbow and it is the one I am currently shooting.  I acquired it a couple months ago and gave up the compound.  Thus, it is my best shooting bow.  That also makes it the worst, I guess.  It is a bear montana longbow.  I like it.

Tom

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I will vote for a RER LX.  The grip for me sets it apart from other bows I have shot.
T ZZZZ

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Numero uno Bigfoot SS, static tip recurve, awesome shooter, very quick, quiet and accurate. The limb stability and speed is incredible for glass limbs.

Close second in recurve is the DAS master riser(17") with Hex5 limbs. Would love to try the CH or Hex7 ILF.

Longbow, DAS master riser with XL ILF ACS longbow limbs from Dryad, smooth as butter and whisper quiet.
shoot straight shoot often

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I had a Morrison Dakota that was magic.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
I've always been a Brackenbury recurve fan. I think I shoot them so well because of the grip. It just fits me. If you put a Brack grip on a broomstick I could probably shoot it well too.

For longbows, I like Abbotts. Again, I like the grip and general shooting characteristics.

I had a Hummingbird recurve for awhile and really shot it great. They too have nice grips.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Mohawks seem to rule for me. I had one a few years ago I loved now I own another Pat Byrne gave me. A wonderful bow. Second for me would be A stalker Coyote. RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©