3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rancho Safari Shaggie Suit  (Read 273 times)

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Rancho Safari Shaggie Suit
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
I'm considering getting a Rancho Safari Shaggie short coat with a facemask. Is anyone using one of these? I want it for spring turkey and deer hunting. Would also like to still hunt with it. Your opions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!   Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rancho Safari Shaggie Suit
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
I have the long coat......never tried to still hunt with it but have used it just ground hunting. In 2 years I have had 4 encounters at less than 6 yards. Hard to get drawn when they [deer] are that close but it was really exciting. You know your close when you can count whiskers and eye lashes.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, the still hunting is why I'm looking into the short coat, with ASAT bottoms. The terrain I hunt is all crabapple and multiflora rose. Lots of stuff that a long shaggy would get snagged up on. Are you satisfied with the quality of the garment?
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
Yes.......but the long coat is a bit heavy. The short should be lighter and fit your needs. You will be amazed when a deer tries to look right thru you and then goes back to feeding at "VERY" close ranges. Move real slow and keep tabs on the wind, you'll have a ball.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
The long coat is awesome, but you are right, if you have stickers, the coat will be stuck.  There is an ultralight version that is lighter weight and works fine.  That is what I use and I have been using that from the ground much more than I have been using my treestand.
ChuckC

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm gonna order mine from 3Rivers tomorrow. This is gonna be a blast!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:59:00 AM »
I have a custom Shaggie. Basically it's a shorter Long Coat which hangs just above the knees. There is probably no way I would ever hike anywhere while wearing it, as it is weighty, warm and everything will snag it. I pack it in on my back and then put it on in the woods. There is no better camo available to a bowhunter, and animals simply don't see the man wearing it. I've had axis deer at spit-range and they could not make out the human form.

I thought mine came with far too much fabric and shag to it, to I trimmed out a lot of it. How much? Maybe 20-25%...there was a pile of trimmings on the floor. I especially trimmed out the bow arm and chest area for string clearance, as there is no way the standard coat will allow me to shoot without snagging. They take some time to get adjusted and ready, and you will definitely want to shoot your bow while wearing it. Enjoy those close-range encounters.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Tried to order it today from 3Rivers--on backorder, are there any of our sponsors that carry them?  

Thanks Kevin!    Denny

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
You can buy them directly through the manufacturer's website at Ranch Safari.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
I tried for a few years to love my set, but just couldn't. I swapped it for something or another. By the time I trimmed the bow arm and face mask I wasn't so shaggy. I couldn't walk anywhere with them on without taking half the woods with me. I tried to roll it up and carry it in to turkey hunt, but as soon I jumped up to head a bird off I was hung up on something. I use a die cut pull over now.

It is true, your invisible wearing it.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
Thanks again for your input.    Denny

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I have a long coat.  I wear it over my die cut leafy pants and disappear like a ghost.  But the long coat does pick up some of the vegetation that it drags through.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks Archie, waiting for Jerry @ Rancho to get back with me. I'll be wearing mine over ASAT.     Denny

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
While wearing the suit the season just passed, I took 3 deer and missed a beauty at 18yrds, (I  shot under him, just a bad shot).  I've had it for 3 yrs, it's been gradual but has changed how I hunt.  I've had no trouble drawing on deer, 2 of this years deer were under 10 yrds, you just need to set up right and not move while they're looking at you.  The more you use it, the more you'll come to believe in it.  Look for natural places to set up, good solid back drops, then brush you're self in a bit.  I always carry a folding saw, clippers, zip ties and some para cord.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
Rancho Safari is number one in quality. I use and highly recommend the long coat but, because of this post, will be looking at the shorter version.
   :campfire:

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Have been trying to contact Jerry at Rancho since Monday, no luck. I ordered a Bush in a Bag from Big Jim. Thanks all for your help!  Denny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©