3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Persistence Pays Off!!  (Read 977 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Persistence Pays Off!!
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
I know i didnt put my Avian jake on that weird of an angle?!

:campfire:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Persistence Pays Off!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I think a story is in the making!     :coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:

Bernie

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Atta boy Dalton!!!  Need to hear the tale.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Cool.    :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Well this evening i got off work, and decided id go spend a rainy eveing in the blind, at a new property i just got permission to hunt. Boy am i glad i did.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
I got there and it was raining pretty good. Having just got permission to hunt this particular property, i didnt really know much about where to head, but seeing as how i could hunt the next morning, i figured id go find a spot where i could hear well and try to roost a bird to set up on the next morning.

As i headed out towards the back of the tree farm, i couldnt help but grin as i stepped around turkey poop on the grass road i was walking out.

I kept walking until i came into a big bottom, and about halfway up the hill, there was a flattened off spot, very green and just felt like a good place to set up.

There was a little graveyard right beside that, buried on the flat was a young mother and her child, she must have passed during childbirth, and it was a bit of a reminder of how precious life is, makes a man realize he needs to just slow down and enjoy this breath God has given us.

I was looking at that graveyard when a gobble rang out, although wayyy far to worry about, it reminded me id better get set up.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »
I set up my avian jake named marvin at exactly 5yards from my chair in the back of the blind, seems about too close, but hey those shots are nice! After about an hour of sitting, a group of crows started going nuts in the boom of the tree feild, to my excitement, i was pretty sure i heard a gobble in the middle of the brawl.

I called twice with my extremely loud glass call, but no reply. So i just sat back and relaxed, i figured all i could do was wait, and wait was what i did for about another 20min. All pf a sudden a gobble rang out right at the bottom of the feild i was in, GAME ON
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
I waited a minute or two, alot of guys make the mistake of answering the gobble with a yelp due to excitement (im very guilty) and thats not a good idea. But finally i did let out a yelp sequence and he hammered right back. I waited another little bit, and called again, when he answered he was about 50 yds closer, i knew then i was in good shape.

Talk about torture! That joker spit and drummed all the way up that grass road, and finally i leaned up a bit in the blind and i could see him at about 20 yds.

He was going in and out of full strut and when he got to about 10 yds, his whole demeanor changed. He immediately marched up too marvin and began to chest bump him-keep in mind this is all about 5 yds from a tore up bowhunter!!

He started to circle, then started throwing haymakers. Ibwas amazed at how hard he was hitting that decoy!

He continued in a circle around marvin, and finally worked his way on my side of marvin.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:00 AM »
When he got broadside at exactly 4 yds, i thought well this is it. I went to draw slowly, but my arms were completely numb from being so tore up! I am not lying i absolutely could not draw my #40 Omega!

I took a deep breath and she slid back effortlessly to my mouth, just like the thousands of times i have practiced this. I just kept telling myself, nose to feather, hold, hold, THUMP!

Before i knew it, that CE Heritage shaft was buried to the label in his chest!! Perfect shot!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
The bird jumped straight into the air, hit the ground, went right back up, then ran off the hill! Man i was so excited i about tore that blind down!  I immediately called my dad and Ethan  (hensone) and told them what had happened, i really dont.l think they could understand any of my mumbling! I had completely lost it!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:10:00 AM »
After catching my breath, i went back to the blind. I figured i would give him a few more minutes but figured i would at least go check out the decoy, which was splattered with blood!  

When i got to the dekes i just so happen to look to my left, down that road, and heres what i saw:

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »
Awesome you will be hooked now!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »
Well done!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »
Nice bird.........great story telling...congrats.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
Well Done!
Good story and pics, thanks for sharing.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
Congrats! Good job. Thanks for sharing your pictures and story.   :thumbsup:

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
When i saw it i was so jacked up i started to run right to it, but then figured i better at least grab my bow in case he wasnt done. After walking up to it, at full draw, and nudging its head, i knew i had him! My first bowkilled bird! Here is how i found him, notice the zwickey delta coming out the exit:

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Well done, and well told, sir! Congratulations! Where's the hero pic?

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
Congrats. Nice looking bird.
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©