3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: touching feathers to face as another anchor  (Read 328 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
touching feathers to face as another anchor
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Any of you guys do this? When I shot 3 under on my longbow I could touch a feather to the tip of my nose and it was awesome. I would anchor my middle finger to the corner of my mouth like a lot of you guys and continue to draw until it touched my nose. So it was kind of like a draw stop.

Anyhow I loved it, but dont like shooting 3 under nearly as much as split. Since I have been split, I haven't found a really great way to do it.

It is also imperative to shoot the same fletching style and configuration. Which adds a level of thought to setup if your always trying something new like me.

Any of you guys do this? Or have any other ways of finding a psudo draw stop (other than a clicker)?

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: touching feathers to face as another anchor
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
I studied Joel Turner's video for target panic "improvement". His preferred method was using a feather touching the nose as the trigger.  I couldn't make a similar touch without contortion.  So I got a 3/4" length of full feather and glued in on the shaft sort of between the end of the feathers and the nock.  Now I can reach full draw, and slowly draw just a little further until the full feather hits my nose.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
I shoot split fingers, and have a two point anchor: feather touching my nose (5" shields), thumb knuckle o my earlobe… very similar to what you were shooting 3 under. It seems to work with parabolic fletch also, as long as it's cock feather out.
Not so with banana fletch, or anything cock feather in. i do like to experiment - and have - and do - but consistency is consistency, so I need to spend some time with something to see if it works. if it does, I stay with it until, or unless, it doesn't. It also has to feel right. So this is what I've been doing for a while.
Comes back to the same consensus - find what works for YOU, and try to seek repeatability.
Just my .O2.

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
I use a feather in the corner of my mouth. Fyi
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
I used to touch my nose to the feather when I shot 3 under (Rick Welch style) but the nose is not that sensitive especially in the cold and feather have a lot of give so it wasn't  exacting for me.
 I shoot split now. I anchor now by touching the tip of my middle finger to my canine tooth through my Uper lip. The corner of the mouth is soft tissue and can vary quite a bit As to where the  tooth is bone and consistent. I pull through my shot and touch my shoulder with my thumb. I have tried a double anchor but found I would stop pulling and rest once I achieved my two anchor points and would collapse or creep forward. instead of pulling through. Oh I also lighty
touch my thumb and pinky finger together on my draw hand.
Tim

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
I use the 2 point anchor reference system.  I shoot split finger and bring middle finger to corner of mouth.  

I use 5" right wing shields 3 fletch.  I turn cock feather in when shooting and the hen feather touches tip of my nose with middle finger to corner of mouth.  When fletching arrows, I start feathers about 7/8" from end of nock.  I use blitzenburger.  

This 2 point anchor system has improved my shooting far better than anything else I have done.

-Mark
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
I've shot split finger with cock feather in (3 4 inch feathers) to get a double anchor. Pointer finger in corner of mouth and top hen feather touching the tip of my nose. It improved my groups dramatically.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
I do exactly that! Middle finger anchor and release when feather hits nose..

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Yes, I shoot split, middle finger to corner of my mouth, feather touching my nose. Just remember, all is for naught if you don't get back tension !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
I shoot 3 under middle finger in corner of my mouth, thumb knuckle on jaw bone and I touch the cock feather on the tip of my nose.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
I shoot exactly like you are describing, i actually have 3 anchors. I shoot 3 under, middle finger to the corner of my mouth, and my knuckle to my ear like Terry Green recommends, and of course my nose to my feather.

I had hit a wall up until i figured that out. I could do real well out till like 12 yds then i couldnt hit anything. After i found all this out and flung like 3k arras like that ive started winning 3d shoots and stacking the animals. Even won the R100 a few weekends ago! Which would not have even been possible a few months ago.

Out to 25 i just pick a spot and zap it, at 30 and beyond i use my arra to "aim." This system seems to work real well for me.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
I shoot three under also. I draw and put my thumb nuckle behind my jaw and under my ear. Them my middle finger in the corner of my mouth and feather touches my nose.  It has really helped with my shooting. If i just remember to pick a spot. Lol
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas guys! I'm going to play around in the mirror and see where things are at tonight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©