3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to deer hunting  (Read 196 times)

Offline Samwich

• Trad Bowhunter
New to deer hunting
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Going up for my 2nd deer hunting trip next weekend and I was after some advice from the experts.
-------
Bit of information:

-Was up just over a month ago with no luck. Saw 9 mobs in 2 days. Most were sited at last light/dark and couldn't get close enough...

-Fallow deer rut is currently happening

-Property holds Fallow, Reds and Sambar deer
-------------

I have been hunting for a while now, but deer is a whole new level for me... Goats tend to be a sight/smell, then stalk. Where as deer I have no idea where they would bed ect....

We spooked 3 mobs of fallow through the day last time, as we didn't see them, but they saw or smelt us....

Can anyone give me some advise of what sort of cover I should look for? there's tones of game trails around... but so many I don't have the knowledge to pick which one :/

I will attach a picture of the land when I can find out how   :)  

Located Australia
Regards,
Sam

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Whether you hunt from a tree or the ground, always play the wind. As soon as you see deer, start breathing nice and steady, make sure to pick a spot when aiming, mark the last spot you saw the deer after the shot.

Good luck !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
I wish I had good advice for you but I am not familiar with those animals. success is not always as easy as it seems. Keep hunting them and you will learn something new every time.

I am mainly responding to keep the thread relative and up top..

Good Luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
I don't have access to those particular animals here, but in many cases, critters are critters.

As above, first priority, watch the wind.  I don't hunt without a wind indicator on my bow (wind feather,  piece of shredded dental floss etc) so I can constantly monitor the breeze.  

Learn the habits of the critter you are after and use their habits to get yourself close enough to be in the game.

Learn WHERE to shoot and WHEN to shoot.  Be good enough at shooting to perform decently at the needed yardage.  You don't have to shoot like Hill, but you do need to control yourself and shoot within your abilities.

Pick a spot. .  I very firmly believe that most misses are due to not picking a spot to hit and actively aiming (?) at that before the shot is made.

Good luck and report back how it went please.
ChuckC

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
You can learn a lot about their habits with wise use of a game camera.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
I know nothing about the deer you're hunting, or the type of cover you have there. However, they have to sleep and eat. If it were me, I'd find out where they do both, and then set up some stands/blinds downwind, where they travel between the two. If your deer use established trails, I'd focus on the ones with the heaviest use. If the rut is on, and your deer are anything like our whitetails, find the does, and you'll find the bucks. You mentioned groups of deer. Do your bucks chase individual does, or do they have harems like elk?

Good luck, and don't forget to have fun.

Bob

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Keep the wind in your face whenever possible. Your scent on the wind is what will spook game before you ever see them. Even if you wash with no-scent soap and laundry detergent, you still have a smell. Scent is what most all game cues in on before sight. Also, I always recommend you make sure your face and hands are covered to prevent that flash of light color from your skin. Put two guys in the woods, one with face camo and one with out. You can see the one with out from 100 yards away or more. The light color "flashes" every small movement. Certainly a game animal can see it.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Sam, deer use trails to move between zones..bedding area, feeding area, water. When they get to a food supply, e.g., they meander and browse. So if you want to set up a treestand or ground blind on a trail, try to figure out when they are likely using that trail and that will give you some idea on the thermal air currents likely to prevail during your hunting time, and that will help you decide where to put your stand or blind to put you downwind of approaching deer.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
SCOUT and then scout some more. Find bedding areas then find food sources.  Next check out a topographic map and find the trails they take between bed and food. Most animals are creatures of habit and will use the same trails on a fairly regular basis.  I like to set up somewhere around halfway between beds and food.  If you set up too close to the beds you will spook them coming in.  If you set up too close to the food it could be dark by the time they get there.

What kind of terrain and foliage is in the area?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©