3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Traditional Journey - A Great Ride....  (Read 437 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
The Traditional Journey - A Great Ride....
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I love to see the variety of posts that show up each day.  Which bow is better, who likes what quiver, two-three or four blade, string materials, hunting pictures, advice, sheds, trail cameras, etc....

Some feel it's repetitive but I think not. For all of you who have been at this for 20 plus years, just imagine if you could go back and start from the beginning.  A traditional archery "do over"!  Man would I love to take the ride once again.

For so many folks here the journey has just begun.  They've never read Hunting the Hardway, The Witchery of Archery and so many more.  They've never shot a Hill bow, a forward riser recurve or an English longbow.  They've never heard of Walt Wilhelm, Glen St. Charles or Chester Stevenson.  They've yet to own a back quiver or know how to use one.  They talk about P&Y deer all the time but don't even know what P&Y stands for.  

I could go on all day about the years of info I've picked up along the way.  I still re-read books, I'm still looking for the magic bow or perfect broad head.  I know bowyers are looking for the ultimate design and I applaud them, even though some of their designs where developed years ago.  To all bowyers, thanks for keeping the art alive.

So the next time you see someone post the same old stuff, give them a break and answer their question.  Brace height, fistmele, back of point, helical, back and belly.....is all stuff that we've learned along the way, from someone. Trad Gang is a fantastic resource.  

With that said, to all the new folks, don't be afraid to ask a questions.  To all you old dogs, do your part and give back the advice someone gave you.       :thumbsup:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Traditional Journey - A Great Ride....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Well put Tim!  I think one of the things that keep people like you and me excited about this sport is the fact that we are never perfect. We continually try new equipment, shooting styles, etc. Always searching for that one little thing that will help up become a better archer.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
:campfire:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Amen! I wish there had been something out there like this site when I was new to archery. Then again, I'm glad to have found you folks when I did.

One thing I do notice about this site, and really like, is that no matter how many times the same basic questions are asked by people new to this, there's never a snide comment made. Everybody here seems to genuinely want to help others succeed. I don't see that so much on other sites.

I've been shooting and hunting with traditional bows for a long time, and I learn something new here all the time. Thank you.

Bob

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
You're the man Tim. We should all heed this advice.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
spoken like the true Gentleman that you are with a heart of a saint!

At least that's what your wife says about ya!    :rolleyes:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Well put brother! Thanks for the reminder! I would have killed to have access to all this knowledge when I got started.
God is good, all the time!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Absolutely !!
   :archer:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
Good post Brother and I hope everyone keeps sharing. Very few of us know it all and can learn no matter how much we've been here.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Or made a self bow , made arrows out of sticks they cut, Chipped out their own points. made their own quivers. on and on. Until you participate in these things I feel like we miss something that Hunting with the Bow and Arrow and witchery of Archery embodies. There is a feeling about the bow and arrow and everything that is personal surrounding it that is missed otherwise.
I went into the mountains to shoot my bow with my wife and daughter the other day. I could have shot it here. But I notice these nice yew logs that the forest service cut down to clear by the road. My Lincoln came home working like a pickup. I just could not leave those . Guess what is going to be happening around my place in the near future. Its been a long time since I hacked out a yew bow. Its exciting.
God bless,Steve

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
I could talk about nothing all day long,  :)
Slickhead

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
If I had it all to do over again, I'm not sure what I could do very much differently. As a youngster, I did not have access to much technical info. I was used to a recurve bow, so my first purchase was a recurve bow. I did not know many archers, so most of these questions we see so often never came my way until I was pretty well set in my ways. Once I found something that worked, I didn't make changes. When I took up the longbow, things were not much different, so what worked is what I stayed with. Not much experimentation took place.

After I found this site I read about questions and issues that I was previously unaware even existed. Now I know more about non wood arrows than I will ever use. My woodies work, and I don't care to use carbon or aluminum, but I must admit that it is fascinating to read about the others. Gloves or tabs? No biggie, but some guys really ponder that stuff before deciding. Therefore, as repetitive as these discussions are, they are still valid. Remember, it is not repetitive to the new guys just coming up on these issues for the first time. Fortunately, the experienced folks are willing to share their knowledge and experience with newbies. If I was starting out new with access to Trad Gang, I probably would be exactly where I am now, but the journey would have involved fewer mistakes.

The only discussion that gets unbearably old for me are the ones where the heavy bow shooters put down the light bow shooters and vice versa. It is nice to hear why people prefer their choice, but criticisms get real old real fast. Shoot what you want to shoot, but don't hassle others who choose differently. That is the only beef I have about the recurring themes that show up.
Sam

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Amen to that! I started my journey for just last summer, and all I know I owe to you guys! Form, tuning, release, spine, tabs... I started out putting my arrows within a pie plate from 5-8 yds on a good day, to hitting a tennisball from 20 yds 5 out of 10 times. And I'm still improving.
A big thank you, all my friend on the gang!
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Scitty

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
Well put Tim, I'm one of those still learning and I discovered this great discipline a bit late in life. I was so hesitant posting my first question on here for fear of upsetting those who have answered the same question so many times. Well I posted and the responses made me feel like one of the guys sitting round the fire. I believe these hearty welcomes and eagerness to share knowledge will help build and preserve this awesome practice. For me this is a journey and all who post on here, each bowyer I talk to or each review submitted are all part of my own journey and they all can influence my perspective dramatically. So far it's all been good and bless you all for that.
   :notworthy:

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
Great post! I was thinking about this today, how I don't like when someone asks a question and they get the whole "use the search function" answer. I'd hate to see this place just turn into an archery-google.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
Thank you for this post Tim, it's people like you that make me feel comfortable asking questions here that I think might sound silly to most others.
I will also say there are certain post I see on here over and over but enjoy reading them every time, and there's always one or two new opinions each time.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Extremely well said, Tim.  I remember when I was new to the site, I wasn't new to trad, I had been at it extremely unsuccessfully for a while.  After shyly stalking around in the shadows for a good while I started posting.  The very first person to respond to my very first post was Charlie Lamb.  THE Charlie Lamb.  I promise you he did not tell me to "use the search function".  I love this community.  It has done so much for me.  More than the knowledge and common interest I love the brotherhood and fellowship.  To steal another quote I read on here early on, most of these guys would be best pals of not separated by a little (or a lot) of distance.  

Thanks a lot for such a great thread.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©