3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad camp 2007 BuckJam, Leota, michigan  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad camp 2007 BuckJam, Leota, michigan
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Just wanted to thank Jason, Tim, Steve, and Leroy for for a great "Buck Jam Michigan Sweat Camp".

I got to shoot a great bunch of bows, and hope to add at least one more to the bow tent next year....oh the choices.

Had a great time hunting, sitting around the campfire, scouting and shooting!

I'll post a story of my hunt, some pics of my gifts (Thanks again Steve & Leroy!).

More to come later..
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
We will have to bring extra bedding for the new bows,,LOL,,    :bigsmyl:    
Thankyou Steve and Tim for your gift,,No one has done anything like that for me ever,,I really appreciate it

I had an awsome time fellas,,See ya next year in leots deer camp buckjam sweat 2008,,LOL,,

P.S. Steve works a MSU but he really loved my Michigan chairs. So much they became his resting place for his equipment,,LOL,,

He also likes to keep my boots in his sleeping bag,,LOL,,

I got home sunday, watched the TG DVD,,thought I should go out hunting anyways,,I set up in one of my normal spots and an hour or so before dark I have this deer come troting into the acorn trees,, Noticed it was a good sized deer and thats it. about 15 mins. or so go buy and I notice the deer is comming down the trail I'm sitting on,,THEN I NOTICE HEAD GEAR!!,, :eek:  I get ready for the shot,,he closes the distance to 14 yards but is facing me so I have no shot,, He whipped his head up looking to the north,, Then I hear the noise too,, It was a young kid riding a bicycle down the main two track right at perfect move time for the deer,,He whipped around and was gone into the thicket,,Man on the ground 14 yards away,, I guess you can't get them all,,Jason B.
TGMM

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Jason...its a good thing you didnt see what i did in your other chair....lol.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Man that stinks! At least you got to see him Jason. I got some bad new for you guys though. Seeing as how I am the keeper of the Camp sign for the year. I was gonna add and still am....that footed youth arrow J. sent home with me...right after the Titebond sets up. My treestand steps fell on it on my way home and broke it. It's gonna look ok but J. won't be able to launch it anymore!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
ahh that might just be fitting,,glued toghether broken arrow,,LOL,,
Buy the way the DVD is great,, I love charlies stories,and his how too's on sharpening is great,, and I keep watching that manitoba bear hunt,,Man what a great hunt,,J
TGMM

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Here's a page out of my journal I wrote last night..about my hunt last friday night.

“A Season of Change”

As I sat on my stool in the unusually hot October afternoon sun in a natural blow down ground blind make up of Jack pine, my mind begin to wander off in reflection of this past year.   I sat looking at the Northern Mist Baraga longbow lying across my lap, I studied every detail of the bow and how it had changed in the months since this spring when I received it.  I noticed the leather on the arrow shelf that was perfect now shows the wear of hundreds of practice shots.  The leather grip has marks where my hand rests and shows flecks of paint off my target from pulling arrows.  A Sitka spruce “Firefly” arrow sits nocked on my string with new two blade broad head, ready for a new experience just like me.

I have changed over the course of this year, the end of the month will mark my first year as a father and a different trail I now walk.  I sat thinking of how thankful I am for my beautiful healthy son, a great wife and family, a new group of friends made, and to a gentleman named “Pops” who did me a favor and held a special longbow as I fought to save up the money to buy it.  The smells, sights and sounds of the woods made me feel right at home and thankful to be alive.

I absorbed the various colors of autumn, with the sounds of acorns falling around me as a welcome breeze blew against my face and rattled the oak leaves. Suddenly a squirrel erupted in a noisy chatter I knew meant something was trespassing within his sight.  Just as my eyes searched for the culprit, I caught a movement and froze looking down a natural shooting lane.  A mature Doe gracefully stepped in front of me as my heart started pounding out of my chest in my throat and ears, as I admired her beautiful silky brown coat as I picked a small spot just behind her front shoulder where I wanted to place an arrow.  She took another step as I calmed my nerves a touch mentally, gripping my bow and putting tension on the string I slowly started to raise my bow up for a less than 10 yard shot.  My longbow had barely moved, as I heard a loud blow and a stomp from off beyond my vision.  I froze smiling to myself as I laughed inside from my error.  I just made the mistake of being busted by a trailing deer I hadn’t seen or looked for in the excitement of the moment.  The doe in front of me whipped her head towards me and locked on to me as she knew something wasn’t quite the same from a moment ago when she walked in.   She blew and stomped, trying to force me to make another mistake, then bound a few leaps off into the thick brush to the left of me out of my shooting range.   I shifted my glance to the deer that’d caught me, another doe just outside of my shooting lane slowly moved away from me keeping just enough cover to prevent me from getting a clean shot.  The two ladies pranced around my spot cautiously letting me enjoy seeing them up close as they moved through the woods and slowly disappearing from my sight.

I tried to relax as I went over what had just taken place.   Had I been in a tree stand with my compound, I would have easily seen both deer and shot once one had got to 30 yards.  I would have never gotten as intimately close at eye level as I had just been.  I just sat there smiling thankful God gave me the chance to see the two beautiful whitetails.  As the gorgeous crimson and orange sunset faded into darkness I sat excited to share my story with a great group of friends at camp and to listen to their stories of the nights events.  As I grabbed my longbow, and wood arrows I knew the changes that had taken place in me are for the best.  I was thankful for a memorable hunt and just as the seasons have changed, so have I.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Leota- wow!  My family homsteaded up there- there is a road named after my family in Springdale Township.  Oh, how I miss it.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
Very nice drew,, Felt like I was in your ground blind with ya bud,,   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:

Drop me a line when you get yours ready to check,,J
TGMM

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
Drew.....Man that really puts a person in the blind with ya Bud. What a weekend!
LeRoy

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Jason and guys,
sounds like a great time was had.  Sorry I was unable to make it up this year.  Son had football Saturday, finished up around 3 then headed over to my brothers for a get together with a group of friends.  Shooting bows, shooting skeet, frying turkeys, etc... Sunday bloomed just as hot, and I took my 13 year old daughter out to sight in her new Model 70 .243 I picked up Friday night.  She says she wants to hunt with me, so I couldn't turn down the opportunity to bring her into the hunting community.  If we could get the timing right- I could bring the motorhome h up next year.  She may be old, but she is in good shape, sleeps 6 comfortably, and has AIR CONDITIONING!!!
Jason, watch for my truck in Stanton and stop by when you can.
Thanks
Dave
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip. I haven't hunted that area in years.
How  did you guys get to Leota? I used to live on the corner
of Bailey Drive and old 27. It was some good hunting back then. Early to mid 60's.

Jerry

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
sounds like you guys had a great time out there guys  wish we could have gone with ya...

rob
St. Joe River Bows

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Will do Dave,,
TGMM

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
Drew...thanks for sharing the journal entry..very special!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Great pics and stories guys.Sounds like a good time was had by all.Sorry to have missed out on that.Maybe next time.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Jerry...we took 61 west out of harrison, turned right on old state rd...headed north to where old state rd and muskegon rd meet at the leota party store..then we took a left and a quick right on pigeon drive...this takes you back to the jonesville bridge area...we hunted roughly 2 miles north of there along the muskegon....pretty country, mix of oaks, pines in the higher areas and lots of cedar and firs in the lower swamps.... plenty of deer and some bear sign...we thought the coyotes were gonna carry us away.. they were howling all night...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
jason...sent you a cool video on your email..check it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Steve I'll be calling you later.
LeRoy

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
awesome pics..Yeah thats a few bows in that tent!!!

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Sorry I havent posted much today been kind of busy.  Drew, that is a great journal entry.  I dont think there could have been a better group of guys to share a camp with.  Steve, thanks again for the arm guard!!  It is hanging in Nicholas' room right now and it looks great.  Deer or no deer I dont think it could have been more successful!!  I am already looking forward to next year and the new camp site.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©