3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KANSAS..........video and photo re-cap...pg. 15  (Read 3644 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KANSAS..........video and photo re-cap...pg. 15
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
Curt here..... turkey story in the morning, hittin' the hay!  :thumbsup:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
First morning in the DB....at least an hour after day light..pouring rain

You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
I like stories!

Charlie, I'm trying to kill something with horns, just seems like i can't find a big one. Truth be known, i'm just waiting for Dick to show up so i have dragging help.  :D
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Silence is Golden  :readit:    :readit:  Is it night there YET  :jumper:    :jumper:

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Nope,just early evening and I'll bet the "boys" have been busy cause it was a nice day for hunting...

Patience is a virtue...  :)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Daddy i hope you got a big turkey and a big buck.We love you.Love cade and mae- mae.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Precious.......I hope he did too......
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Boy Curt that hits home..You have GREAT support...

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Don't get no better than THAT  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
And??....  Hope you guys are having a blast. Looking forward to the stories.  :readit:    :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Daddy here...Talk about a lump in my throat...Thank you my boy and little girl....you guys make me so proud to your daddy everyday! I love you both and mommy so much...miss you guys....

Guys I have a lot of catching up to do...there's been some shooting and critters have fallen! We actually have two critters shot on video and lots of pix. But this dial up is giving us fits. We promise to catch up tomorrow....

We've had some severe rain storms, and now it's hot as heck...but so far we've done good....

Looks like we're gonna have the best of company toward the end of the week....gonna be the highlight of the trip for both me and Tracy...more tomorrow.....

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
Congrats guys! Now we need to know what was killed!!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
Critters on the ground!!?  I can't wait for the pix and stories!!!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
TradGang needs a SEND OUT laptop with an Air Card for just such obsessions.

Tryin to get a 3 party put together goin here, sure hope this works  :pray:    :pray:    :pray:

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Ok fellas.....this is Curt...I'll do the best I can but we have no pix yet. Just sent some off to vance to see if he can get them posted for us,then we can explain them. The video is awesome,but we just can't seem to do anything with it,won't load on PB(dail-up),and we can't get it sent to Vance.I guess the file's just too big. If anyone has any suggetions,fire away....

Day one(Sat.).....

Well you saw the one pic earlier,torrential rain,but we did see some turkeys. Wouldn't come close enough to do anything with. In the afternoon we headed back to the blind to sit together and try to get a shot at a turkey or doe(a buck would do just fine too). We were almost immediately into turkeys,BIG gobblers too! First few went by,but shortly after another lone gobbler showed up looking for his buddies. He was huge! I used my voice to give him some gobbler yelps and he was coming. We had him fired up,even gobbled at about 30yds. But as he came he saw Tracy move in the blind,we'd forgotten to close the window behind him    :knothead:   . He went off putting......

Soon another group of giant longbeards show up,I call,they come. But wouldn't come any closer than about 17yds,and when one putted,I knew it was now or never....shot right over his back! The arrow and tracker flew great through the netting of the recurve model BS5 Double Bull blind. This turkey was easily the tallest bird I've ever shot at! We had a good laugh when I made a remark about us being like Abbott and Costello in the blind

In a little while Tracy saw another group off in the distance...6 gobblers. I called and they answered and started in(we have this all on video).They came in to 8 yds and I shot though the screen. The arrow blew through him,just a little off, but not bad.He runs taking string and it looks like he's gonna die after about 30yds. But he starts off again and he's limping as quick as he could,but he was hurtin'! He quickly ran out the string as I hadn't replaced an old spool.It didn't have nearly as much left as I thought it would have. That first miss certainly didn't help!

He went about 50 more yds and stopped only to get flogged by all his buddies. I really think he would have died right there but after his throttling by his buddys he was up again and out of sight.....We waited a while and right beofre dark, we started to follow what string we had and a spotty blood trail,but we didn't find him. We'd have to wait for the morning to look again. We knew there was a chance that something else would find him first...but we really had no choice......

Day 2.....

We headed to one of Tracy's best spots for deer for a short hunt in the morning,but the hot weather had deer movement at a minimum..we saw nothing. We headed back to try to find the turkey. Tracy's son Tress found the first indicator of what happened....feathers....

Apparently during the night a bobcat or coyotes had found the bird and eat almost everything.The only thing we found was a couple bones and feathers....but I did find some of the beard. I was heart broken    :(   ......more later.....Man I wish we had some pix    :banghead:

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Man, sorry to hear about the turkey. Just the way it goes sometimes. Sounds like there are plenty more out there. Good luck the rest of the week and keep us posted.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »
Curt and Tracy,

Sounds like fun! I'm here in Montana working and you two "knuckleheads" are living the life in Kansas. Have a great hunt and I look forward to more tales of adventure. Curt, please save a turkey and big buck for me...

Peter

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Thanx Bill

Peter ol' bud....There's a ton of big turkeys around,and all the big deer are hiding in this heat.....you my friend are in for a hell of a hunt...stands will all be set and it'll be colder......I'm a bit jealous that you'll be here  at "prime time"!!

Tracy's says, "tell him I've got his knucklehead"

Well I almost had the 1st leg of the triple crown....

So we decided in the 85 degree heat of the afternoon we'd hunt the DB again....to our amazement...it was getting to be about time that we hoped some deer would show up and we hadn't seen a single turkey  :confused:    :confused:  

I told Tracy that maybe this is a sign that tonight will be a deer night....it would prove to be just that.....

soon we'd hear a deer walking and the first one to come in was a button buck, but we were hoping for a nice doe so our guests later in the week wouldn't go hungry   ;)  . The next deer in would not dissappoint....a big ol' doe. Then two more little one's. Tracy had the camera rolling again and when the big gal quartered slightly away at about 8yds I drew the carbonwood with tracker still attatched to anchor and released.....man I wish you could see the video  :thumbsup:

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
hey curt, sounds like you guys are really doin some damage down there, sounds like a blast. cant wait to see some pics and videos.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Their back out at em....I'll put these up now they can explain later   :goldtooth:    

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©