3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver causing string slap?  (Read 141 times)

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver causing string slap?
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I've probably put a few hundred shots out of my homemade longbow no problem. The past couple days when I've been shooting it, I've been getting some nasty string slap, with no intentional changes in grip or form. I tried playing around with my grip, rotating my elbow out, canting more, hold the grip so loosely that I accidentally dropped the bow on one shot. Tried everything.

Then I realized that the only thing I've changed in my setup was adding a strap-on quiver. So, I took it back off, and voila, no string slap anymore. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything that can be done other than getting rid of the quiver? I'd really like to stick with it for hunting convenience.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver causing string slap?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Hmm. I toyed with strap on quivers myself and the one thing I found was that where on the limb its mounted seems to matter in most cases. Maybe try moving the straps closer down the riser fade outs and keep it far as you can from the working parts on the limbs (which can vary depending on the bow), just gotta play with it.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I think that made a big difference. I moved each of the quiver pieces as tight up to the handle as I could get them and the slap reduced dramatically.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
The quiver will turn the bow in your hand at release if you don't have a comfortable grip on it.  That may or may not lead to string slap.  Of course, if the quiver parts are well out onto the limbs, they'll also slow the bow's recovery at the shot, which may or may not lead to string slap.  It's also possible your brace height dropped, but possibly not enough to be noticeable until you put on the quiver causing one or the other of the factors mentioned.  

Oops. We were apparently typing at the same time.  Glad you found the solution.

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
I measured the brace height and it hadn't changed. But I do agree with the turning idea. It makes sense that since the quiver has more mass to it, inertia will want to keep it in the same spot when the bow jumps forward. So the bow ends up turning the string into the bow arm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©