3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will they shoot?  (Read 152 times)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
Will they shoot?
« on: April 18, 2015, 01:33:00 AM »
I see this question asked a lot here and recently had the same question as I was switching from carbon arrows to doug fir from Surewood. I went from a GT 7595 to an 11/32 80lb spine full length shaft with a 160 gr point. The first few shots showed me that something needed to change so I built out the strike plate just a bit and things seemed to work.

This was my first three arrow group at 20 yards after building out the strike plate.

This was seven arrows shot at 5 yard intervals from 5-35 yards. The 35 yard shot was a pinch high.

And just for fun, these three were from 50 yards.

I think I am happy with the results!!!

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will they shoot?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:44:00 AM »
I hope to say you should be happy. I would love too be able to shoot that well! You just need a hunting season now.   :clapper:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »
Spring bear season is open, I just need TIME!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
Good wood shoots as good as good carbon at normal hunting distances. Your pictures illustrate this quite well.
Sam

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Nice shootin'.   I'm reading those shaft are only 30 bucks a dozen for the hunter grade shafts. What a bargain.  Did you have Surewood taper the nock and point end?  I hear dougfir is hard to taper in the pencil sharpener style taper tool.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
I began shooting nothing but wood, usually Surewood Shafts Douglas fir a couple of years ago. I don't feel as if I sacrificed anything leaving carbons.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
I tapered them with one of the standard tapering tools. The blade needs to be SHARP and you have to use very little presure. The taper is not quite as clean as with cedar but seems to hold the point just fine with hot melt. The only thing I sacrificed was the FOC by going to wood. I dropped from around 23% FOC to 11%FOC. With the 160 grain point, both field point and the glue on Cutthroat broadhead, the arrows weigh in right at 675 grains.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
It appears that they will.  ;)   I've always thought that the person doing the shooting has more to do with it than what's being shot. Within reason, anyway.

Bob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©