3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it just me or?  (Read 193 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Is it just me or?
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »
Does it seem like most traditional archers fall into the category of being perfectionist? I've seen lots of beautiful work from people on this site and my experience from other non traditionalist leaves me wondering.

Do us traditional archers dig deeper and search farther for everything! Some things not archery related I won't even try just because I know it won't turn out perfect.

I make wingbone turkey calls just for fun, but I would never sale one to someone, because they aren't perfect. Very tiny bubbles in epoxy or wrapping not perfectly straight so forth an so on.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it just me or?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
Depends on your level of passion.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
No, I don't think most are actually perfectionists, but many craftsmen are very meticulous. But as katman says, it is often a level of passion. I've seen lots of pictures of items on this forum that are not perfect, but I still would be proud to own and use them. It is possible to be a perfectionist to the point of no output. Most of our craftsmen don't go that far.
Sam

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
From what I have seen traditional bowmen all have a bit of artist in themselves.  Not that artists are always perfect but they appear to be perfectionists to everyone else.  I love viewing all of the custom bows, arrows and gear on this site.  Very inspiring.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
I've made my living since 1980 as an artist/sculptor, registered Alaskan guide (quit the guiding 17 years ago), and as a fur trapper. I am crazy about the quality of my artwork but my shop looks like something out of the "Hoarders" TV show. My wife no longer ventures into my shop because she is meticulus in her house keeping and cannot understand how I can work "in those conditions"! My tools, including my bow and arrows are plain and functional rather than fancy. Any time I'm flinging a $20 bill off into space I want to have as little time invested as possible! LOL

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
I am a bit of a perfectionist because I always want what I make to be the best I can do. I like really nice arrows so I make the effort to go above and beyond. to some folks I am wasting my time on "expendable ammo" but I enjoy archery as a hobby as well as a sport.
Does this effort always work out? No, I have made some pretty ugly quivers that I discarded rather than show them in public.
I do try and encourage other folks that are trying to DYI their archery needs. A little encouragement can go a long way and bring out the person's potential. That is why I like to see the posts here on TradGang.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:52:00 AM »
What we're NO PERFECT????????  
  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  
Peace be with you.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
I'm the other way, I never have time for perfect.  I make my own gizmos and clothing for hunting but it's usually last minute so I make it good enough to work then go hunting.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
We might be a little picky about arrow tuning, etc., but you have no concept of what It means to be a perfectionist until you experience my wife picking out paint. For the past six weeks or so, the walls of our family room have been covered with hundreds of little cards in varying shades of white. I have to take her word for it, because I'm colorblind and they all just look white to me.  You'd think that would get me a by, but in the spirit of marital (or is it martial?) accord (or is it discord?) I still have to suffer through the agony. Then there are numerous paint splotches on the wall.  Actually, an entire wall has been painted three times now, only to find out when the paint has dried that it doesn't match the splotch or the card.  I'm not sure where this is all going to end.

Then there is flooring, which I do have an opinion on, because some types of wood look better to me than others. I have been asked my opinion on maybe 10-12 flooring samples, and have liked some and disliked others.  No matter, all of them have disappeared back to the store to be replaced with new flooring samples the next day or so.  I wonder why I'm asked?  And not just casually; she follows up with questions as to why I like some and not others (I like the texture in that one; I don't like that one because it looks like a gym floor to me, etc.). And if I give up and don't give my opinion, she just continues to badger me until the path of least resistance is to give my opinion anyway, futile though it may be.

I love this woman, and want to spend the rest of my life with her, but I'm just stating the facts.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©