3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cheap Target Idea???  (Read 133 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Cheap Target Idea???
« on: April 18, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
So, I was at Academy today and was looking at the turkey decoys and got to thinking. Would it be possible to get a cheap decoy and fill it with that expansion foam to make an inexpensive turkey target?
I don't have a big budget and 3D targets are out of my price range but shooting a bag target is getting tiresome and I find myself getting bored with it. So I was thinking I could get a couple of foam filled decoys and set them up around the yard. That would give me a couple of different targets to shoot as well as helping me get good enough to hunt.

So, Y'all think it'd work? How do you think broadheads would do in this?
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap Target Idea???
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
Dorado, I've 'recycled' old, hollow, foldable decoys several times with the filler foam. Found that if you fill it a bit then let it harden, add more and let it harden, etc. until it's full it avoids voids that hold sticky, unhardened filler. They work fine as targets but have a limited life. Using broadheads would probably burn them out quickly and don't know if the foam would even stop a broadhead form a pass through. Good luck with the birds, Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
I do this.  Best way for me is to do 2 or 3 at a time.  Fill each bird only about half with foam.  I try to be sure head neck and tails fill completely then go along back.  When about half full stop.  Wait a day or two then fill the rest of the way.  Wait a day or two before you shoot them or you will have a mess.  Good luck.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
I did it, it will not last long at all. Works well for tune up shots during the season! Il set mine up and shoot out of my blind and everything!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
It will work, but not be near as durable as a real 3D target. As said above, don't try to fill it all at once, or the outside will harden and the inside will be a gooey mess!

Bisch

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 02:05:00 AM »
glue a turkey target to a piece of cardboard, cut out the outline, add more cardboard, with a stake sandwiched in between.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 04:18:00 AM »
Have utilized foam in conjunction with a package of scotch brite pads from Lowes. The scotch-brite/foam filled 3D turkey target held up well in utilizing only field points.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »
Cut some target designs out, hang them from those abandon political poster wires that are left on every other street corner using two metal shower hooks in front of a sand bunker.  Set the target far enough in front of the bunker so your arrow goes thru the target and into the sand bank. Been shooting at targets like this at leagues for years.

You can use your practice broadheads using the  target also.  I am putting on a coon shoot this summer at my hunting camp using this type of shooting system. Cut out raccoon targets, paint them with glow eyes.

This type of target is almost, "free".  costs a little to paint them up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©