3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spring Bear Spot and Stalk  (Read 146 times)

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Spring Bear Spot and Stalk
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
Found out at the last minute that Canada is a no go this spring. Have been looking at western state regs as to the possibility of buying a black bear tag and heading west for a week or so of spot and stalk hunting. The regs are somewhat confusing. As near as I can decipher a MT black bear tag can't be purchased after April 14. Was not really able to figure much of anything out from the WY game and fish website.
Can any of our forum members help me out? Is it possible to just buy a tag and go hunting in either WY or ID? Am I correct in my assumptions that I can't buy a MT tag at this time?
Due to work schedule I won't be able to head out until the first of June. Is that too late in the spring to have a reasonable chance of spotting bears out feeding in the open? I'm looking for a chance to spend a week or so out in the mountains. Odds of success don't have to be high, but I do want there to be a chance of at least putting on a stalk or two.
It is probably obvious from my post that I don't know a lot about hunting this way, and am looking for direction. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spring Bear Spot and Stalk
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Hey Kevin,

I am pretty sure you can buy a MT. tag anytime. Their season up in the NW corner closes fairly early. May 15 I think. The season up in N. Idaho runs until June 20. First year we close this late and we have an early spring this year but not sure what to expect.

I am up in the northern part of the state so if this is where you were thinking of heading PM me and I will tell you all I know

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Stickbow,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
PM sent.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »
Kevin,it used to be that way.Read the regs again.If you buy a license after April 14th,you only have to wait 24 hrs before hunting.(MT)

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 01:19:00 AM »
What about Idaho?

Bisch

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by JimB:
Kevin,it used to be that way.Read the regs again.If you buy a license after April 14th,you only have to wait 24 hrs before hunting.(MT)
Thanks, Jim. I'm headed back to the MT page to reread the regs.
Bisch,
Looking into ID as we speak.
Thanks to those who have replied so far!

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
PM back at you

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Over the course of the weekend I have learned lots from those who have responded to my request for help. Through PM's, phone calls, and several hours perusing state game and fish websites I'm narrowing my focus. Through it all I've learned this quest is most certainly doable.
Thanks to each of you.
If anyone else has anything to add I'm all ears!

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
idaho is o/c but with a three day wait after buying tags...just buy before u come.

some of north idaho closes june 20th but unit 7 and 9 are open till july 31 due to tomany bears...and a two bear limit.

pm me and ill do every thing i can to help...

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
Stated already, but you're good for MT, just have to wait one day before hunting if tag purchased after April 14
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©