3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Increasing draw weight  (Read 296 times)

Offline Njmoh121

• Trad Bowhunter
Increasing draw weight
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Hi all,

I'm currently shooting a 35# Samick Sage and am planning on jumping up in draw weight in the near future. Would it be best to go up to 40# or is it usually ok to make a bigger jump to 45#? I'd ultimately like to be in the 45-50# range, I'm just not sure if I'd have better luck going up in smaller increments. Thanks.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Increasing draw weight
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
Everyone will have their own opinion on this. You should see if anyone lives near you that you can try the different weights you think you might like.

If you live near an archery shop they might have something or ask around. 5# jump is doable but 10# you might get into some bad habits. Good luck and have fun.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Just buy 5# heavier limbs and start shootin.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
I agree with mike g, since the limbs for your Sage are not going to be very expensive and you can sell the lighter limbs as you move up. Too big a jump may ruin the form you've been developing.

You might find the following thread interesting too. Granted, they are discussing heavier weight bows than either of us will probably ever shoot, but the principle is the same. I especially found Terry's advice helpful, except that my arthritic wrists maxed out before I ever built the back muscles up to the level I wanted. It's still a good plan.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142997#000003
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Njmoh121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Great, thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like 5# is the consensus.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Without a doubt, 40 will be easier.  Most guys however are quite capable of handling 45 without any issues.  Add in a weight training program and mking the jump to 45 should be very doable.  I would suggest trying a 45 and see it feels like it will be too much.  As with any transition, stop shooting as soon as you start to feel tired to avoid picking up poor form issues.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
Take a look at "themoebow1" channel on youtube. Arne Moe demonstrates the first part of the draw is just turning your torso, NOT pulling with your bicep.  Getting that right will minimize your chances of straining a bicep tendon.  That is no fun. Do some strength training with weights or Bowfit or whatever.  Best wishes
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 05:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
Without a doubt, 40 will be easier.  Most guys however are quite capable of handling 45 without any issues.  Add in a weight training program and mking the jump to 45 should be very doable.  I would suggest trying a 45 and see it feels like it will be too much.  As with any transition, stop shooting as soon as you start to feel tired to avoid picking up poor form issues.
This is along the lines of my thinking. I shot a guy's 3 piece Hoyt for a handful of arrows which was 55# vs my 45 and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. No doubt I would have to reduce the quantity for a while were I to make to jump but I believe I could get there fine.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©