3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tagged Out In NC!!!  (Read 724 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tagged Out In NC!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
I keep my camo folded in my car, along with my blind and Avian dekes for just such an occasion.    :readit:

I figured this time I wouldn't go it alone, it is always so much more fun to share it with great friends. So I called one of my best friends, and hunting buddies Eric, who also happens to be my pastor. He allowed he was in the same boat I was, and was ready to get after some over-weight chickens!

So we met and headed out, also picking up Jason, another good friend of mine, and headed towards the turkey woods. All of us couldn't help but grin as the sun began breaking through the clouds, revealing the blue sky behind.

To all of us turkey addicts, this means one thing, VERY vocal birds.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
We decided to a spot that I have hunted since I was able to walk. My dad actually has a photo on that same ridge, and I am with him, on his shoulders when I was about 3 or so.

So knowing the place like the back of my hand, I knew right where to head, and when we got there, my first yelps were rewarded with an answer. Not knowing exactly where the bird was, I waited a few seconds and hit him again.

He replied and not only did he tell me right where he was, he was already a decent bit closer.

I grinned, as this would be no-where near the first bird called up this hill  

:D
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
I quickly set up my Ameristep blind. Eric and Jason laughed because they realized I wasn't kidding when I was bragging about how much pride I take in my blind setting abilities! I had told them I can set my blind up and ready in under 12 seconds. I know this, because I practice it, in my basement, in the dark.

This may seem extreme, but putting up a blind quickly and without noise is paramount.

I have a trick that I have used over the years, If I can roost birds on the edge of the field, I will get there early, set up the blind out in the field, get in it, and walk under the birds and set up.

I know some are rolling their eyes right now, but you would no believe how well this has worked for me! Best I can figure in the pre-dawn darkness they think Im a cow?

Whatever the case, it works, and you can use it to get where they are headed. Try it sometime on those pesky, non callable field turkeys.

That was totally off topic, but hey, somebody might use it sometime and have success!    ;)
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Back to the hunt.

We got set up right on the brink of a very steep hill. I put Marvin, my Avian jake, at exactly 5 yards from my stool. His woman, Mabel was to his left, and looking mighty fine I might add.

After all got still, I figured I give him a yelp, and see what the deal was, though from previous experience I knew what was coming.

I called EXTREMELY soft, he didn't answer, as I expected, but I wanted to make sure I didn't call too loud if he was close.

I have found that is a big turn off. Aint nothing worse than an obnoxious woman, and they will have the same reaction you and I would-Ehhh, no thanks.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
After that soft call, I purred, and went into a yelp right after, (they love purrs!) At this he cut loose, and just as I expected he had cut that 3-350 yards in half. I grinned, I knew I was in the game.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
There is a lesson to be learned at this point in the hunt.

YES, we all love hearing gobbles.
YES, it is why we do it.
YES, It is awesome.

BUT, When you get one cutting distance fast, He knows exactly where you are. SHUT UP!

Think about the days before caller ID on a telephone, at first you have no clue who it is, but the more they talk, the quicker you figure out who it is.

I have found this to work the best for me, all though it hurts and sometimes I have to even give my calls to my buddy in the blind, it will work out better I promise!

Take this how you wish, (yes this is only my 2nd trad bird) BUT, I would be willing to bet I have had close to 50 successful call ins, not only for me, but for friends and family. Maybe this will help someone.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
My patience was rewarded quickly, he popped up about 70 yards down the roadbed that goes out the ridge I was on.

He was going in and out of strut, and was looking for that girl he'd been hitting on.

I expected him to charge right in, I was 100% sure he could see my dekes, and I was really shocked when he simply turned and walked down the hill.

I figured he had been beat up 1 too many times, and he was hanging up. I told Eric and Jason, if they get a chance, and he isn't committed, hammer him. (They had other weapons.)

We sat, and we sat, and nothing. When I had about lost all hope, I hit a yelp, and he thundered inside 50 yards, and all the way on the other side of the blind from where he was before.

Never doubt how fast a turkey can cover ground!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
He was slightly over a knoll, and close. At this point I thought he wasn't interested in the dekes, and it was going to be a gun kill.

I purred softly on my mouth call, and was very surprised when he just about blew the dadburn blind down!

I looked at Jason, who was to my right, and faced the right direction, and his eyes looked like softballs and he started hyper-ventilating, saying "5yards, 5yards, 5 yards, 5yards!"

I looked back out the blind, and there that sorry joker was, plum ticked off and ready to kill Marvin.

In my head I heard Joe Rogan say, "LETS GET IT ON!"
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Jason, Still having difficultly finding breath, said, "Shoot him, shoot him, shoot him, shoot him!" Literally, that many times! It was a classic.

he went into full strut at about 8-10 yards and I burned a hole in his chest with my eyes, as I came to full draw. (Yes, for those of us that read the story from the first bird, I got it back on the first try lol    :clapper: )
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I remember putting that feather to my nose, knuckle in my ear lobe, and middle finger in the corner of my mouth. I have found that if I can do those 3 things, something is in a bad way.

I relaxed my hand, and that bright green nocturnal nock revealed that I nailed him. He jumped up, and immediately returned and started flopping and dragging himself with his wings.

I thought I had him right there, so I flipped the bind over us and the celebrations began! Only to pause-as we watched the bird sail of that real steep hill!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
That is a great picture Dalton. Some of you guys can understand why we live there from that photo.
I have been thinking of a elk lately.  We will have to get together and shoot.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Congrats! Great Pic!

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
We watched as he sailed about 100 yards. Eric saying "oh crap!!"

I knew what was going to happen as I have watched a million videos of it.

He crashed and flopped and tried to drag himself with his wings again.

I wasn't taking any chances so I got down there and put in a follow up shot, just to let him go on quicker, he was gone in about 3-5 seconds.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I grabbed the bird and headed up the mountain, heading towards some elated, and fist pumping buddies.

The first half of that hill was real easy, as I was real pumped.

The second half really stunk! I was killed by the time I made it too the top.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
At that point I understood what hunting is about, my buddies were just as excited as I was, and it will be memory I will never lose. So the picture taking began, and I was glad just to take it all in.

I would say that it is bitter sweet to tag out and be done, but no, its flippin awesome!

On a side note, I couldn't figure out why he didn't charge the whole time! BUT, when I got down on his level, I was surprised to see that there was NO way he could see the dekes! there were Christmas trees in the way! During this, my patience was tested, but ultimately rewarded!

I will have just as much fun guiding, and calling in birds for my friends. Id rather see them kill anyway.

What a great spring 2015 has held, lots of firsts, and lots of unforgettable memories. I thank God for his blessings on my life, and for having the ability and strength to love, and cherish this outdoor lifestyle.

I hope you all can have the fun I have had this year! Thanks for going along with me, and good hunting!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
And about those pics,

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »

------------
Dalton Lewis

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
And in this last pic you can see the hill he flew down, and one wore out, happy bowhunter!

------------
Dalton Lewis

Online Tony Sanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Congrats. Great story and pics. Thanks for sharing with us.

Tony

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Congrats Dalton     :thumbsup:   Thats one fine looking turkey   :archer2:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©