3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who will be Boss Gobbler 2015 Klintworth Ranch  (Read 777 times)

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who will be Boss Gobbler 2015 Klintworth Ranch
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Good luck!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
Can't wait for the reports on this one. Bear Quest and this spring Turkey chase are my favorite threads this time of year.
     :archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
Good luck!   :campfire:
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Back in the saddle again at work...dreaming of having just a few more days. We got some stories: some of them involve turkeys  :)
Mike Davenport

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
:coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »

Imgur testing...

Nice bearded lady that got a pass. The guys may still be traveling so I will start my long winded story and get out of the way  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
First off, this is my 3rd trip to Klintworth Ranch. Yes it is loaded with birds, but they are managed right. No guns, no disturbance of the roosts, and no fooling with the sanctuary. On top of that, Nick, Mary and the boys run their cattle farm and this hunting operation with the respect of a family that loves what they do. Fine folks that I call friends!

I traveled with Kip my buddy from LA (not the smoggy one). He is a trip and a fine cook but a crappy photographer. I can spend pages of Kip stories...one is coming that is nuts  :)  We arrived a hunt short as I had some work I needed to finish. We got in an evening hunt. I had told Kip this place was going to blow his mind...mission accomplished!

My first set was a coulee with a roost destination in mind. I had my dekes out and had some hen action. It was good to be back! Just when it was time to pick up my stool, pack my ghilli and jet, I see a strange critter heading my way. First it is a long lost house cat, then it is a blond ground hog then it is what it is: A darn BADGER closing in at 10 yards. I waved him off and shook my head. He nearly became my lap pet. This place is crazy...

I ended the evening with a visitor who sang the blues as I watched the sun go down and the turkeys at the end of the coulee fly to roost.

Mike Davenport

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
I realized 2 years was too long a wait from Klintworth ranch. Shaking Nicks hand Wed afternoon was that of a missed friend .  Gosh what a great crew of guys to spend a couple days with.  Little did I know we had a bull rider amongst us !  I went through my list of trick decoys and got tricked!  My best bud from oxford got his first bird and now he is hooked.  A veteran bow hunter claimed the1st  Gobblepolozza Klintworth call and 2 of us basically ate 30 lbs of crawdads.  More to come
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
We got in that evening and a bird or two might have been there too...that part is coming!

What we got into later was food in epic fashion. Seems my brother Joe Buck had prepared food instead of hunt that evening. Being from the south originally and spreading the mudbug love to my yankee friends had been a labor of love. Joey had turned the tables and nailed the low country boil perfect! He and I were the last men standing after even tapping out Kip...I came in second     :bigsmyl:  

*Crawfish heaven...why are all these Yankees eating crawfish and Joe Buck is just drinking? Rough day  :)  

*These cats can flat wear out some food   :)  

Thanks Joey for the meal! I am already looking forward to the food next year brother!!!

More to come...guys got some birds to talk about     :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
This bird woke me up from a nap gobbling in driveway

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
I think I gave that turkey a ride in my truck    :archer2:
Mike Davenport

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
When Clarke and I drive out at 8 30 to go home., this was our good bye committee

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
As a turkey hunting enthusiast, I always enjoy this thread.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
I have to admit I have never killed a turkey gun or bow until now. I have to thank Mike for letting me be a fill in this year.I first met Mike at Ray Hammonds.He was after hogs I was after turkeys.Mike quit hunting the hogs to help me kill a turkey and almost did it.Fast forward he calls me to go to his house so that he can get me a turkey but it rained 3 1/2 days out of four still no turkey.When I got a call to go on this hunt I jumped at the chance to be with friends and meet some new guys, I have not met.Mike picked me up in St.louis airport. We drove in a little late for a morning hunt but got on an afternoon stand.A tom came in and my shot was perfect my first bird with bow or gun.

I will get back with rest of my story soon.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
I see two turkeys in that picture. Lol. Looks like a real nice bird Kip. Congrats.  Can't wait to hear the rest.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
That evening all the hunters gathered around the barn for a crawfish boil hosted by Joey and his compandre who I had not met except reading his posts in past hunts(reading through the lines of his post I was sure he was a hoot).he also had a compradre Clark.I also met up with Jeff Springer and his son Zach who I had met at bear camp and also in Louisiana.The boil was a sucess.The next morning was a quik hunt some Jakes came buy following some hens and I filled my second tag.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
After I tagged out I became the camp dog for the rest of the hunt.Cleaning the dishes,cooking and looking at the birds all over the place.I also rode with Nick the owner of the Ranch feeding the cows and talking about his work and turkeys and many other topics.One day the bull broke the fence and was in  the road so I went with him to repair the fence but as we passed he asked if I wanted to ride Toad the bull so I said yes why not.So I jumped on Toads back but could not get the rodeo jumps with out my spurs or my hat.

I had a great time on the hunt Thanks Mike and Nick ,Joey, Tippit, Zach, Clark

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Kip, I was so happy when I came in that evening to see the smile on your face! I was a little excited about seeing that darn badger and the crawfish being cooked to get all the details...but we made up for that on the ride! I couldn't ask for a better traveling partner my friend. I also have a new dish to pull off: stewed spotted catfish! It was off da hook    :)    

Don't let Kip fool you. He is a fine woodsman and Hunter. He might be motier foux (half crazy) too! Bucket list for trip: kill some birds, cook a fine meal and entertain us with his stories...and ride a damn bull! Love it!!!

That jacket Kip has on has been all over the world as my brother wore it in Afganistan and Irag and other tough places and was a gift to me. When I told him it had now been on a bull he laughed his arse off. Way to go Kip!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Day 2 for me...gonna keep rolling as my work week is gonna be rough. I set up in one of my favorite spots.

*Pick of my rig: Mag handle, 50# limbs. Tried a string tracker this trip. Coarse all of my shots were without it 'cause soon after this pick I tried stalking a turkey and got wound it around a bush. I was easing along a coulée looking for my bird and kept hearing something. Each time I would stop, the noise I was hearing would stop. When I looked back I had 300 ft of white thread trailing me. What an idiot...

My tormentor just escaped with his life. He came through the gap in the fence but sent his three Jake buddies to check out the ménage a trois I had tried enticing them with. He held up just short of bow range as his buddies tried to break up the party. I had enough and tried to draw, sending the red-headed fools back to the safety of the group of birds heading up the ridge.

*My tormentor

Turkey Dekes to keep them occupied...my Jake took a broadhead at home in IL the week prior. I don't want to talk about it   :)  

I had Nick take a pic of my set up after it was all over. They didn't flare at the draw but I think were intimidated by the jaker. He took a broadhead for God sake. I got back and fixed that: red spray paint to make him look less intimidating. It proved not to matter as the birds hated everyone's decoys!!!

*Ambush ready
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©