3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow and Tip Weight  (Read 162 times)

Offline trackndog

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow and Tip Weight
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and new to traditional archary.  I've hunted with compound for years, but am going to make the switch to recurve. I have a Browning Wasp 56" 50# at 28.  Can somebody recomend what arrows I should start with and what tip weight?  I dont want to spend a lot of cash starting out.  Im sure ill upgrade in the future.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow and Tip Weight
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
I'd start with 2016s and a field point test kit.  Should be cheap and get you headed in the right direction.

Offline trackndog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply Biathlonman.  Are you talking aluminum 2016?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
Give Big Jim a shout, he will get you started right, the blemished gold tips are priced right.
 http://www.shop.bigjimsbowcompany.com/
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
Depending on your draw length, you should be using either a 500, or a 600 spine shaft and 145-200 g up front...pretty vague with no more info than I have to work from.

Wasp should be a center cut bow using Dacron string. If you draw less than 27"s than a 600 spine full length ...until you become consistent enough to tune and then cut to tune if necessary(and you can back off point weight a little if you like).
If you draw 27"-29" or more, you will likely need to be shooting a 500 spine full length and 200g up front. Again start off full length until you become consistent. As long as you are only shooting field points, you will likely never know if your arrows are too long or not properly tuned.

All this works out if your bow is actually 50lbs at 28"...sometimes they aren't even close (higher..or most likely lower).

We currently have the Gold tip trad blems in the 1535's (.600 spine) in stock, but for the 3555 or .500 spine, we only have the camo xt's but they are close out shafts due to a change of labeling and are on sale for the same price as blems.
If money is not an object, I would still go with the gold tip's as I find them to be just as good of an arrow as any out there and the blems are only cosmetic.
Good luck and call if you would like more assistance.
Thanks, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©