3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoot the first deer?  (Read 811 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shoot the first deer?
« on: October 07, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Do you shoot the first deer that gives you a good shot, or are you more selective than that?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot the first deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Depends on how empty the freezer is.  :readit:    ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 07:44:00 PM »
The first adult deer that gets in range is in trouble. There is almost always room in a freezer.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
well I've got two doe tags and one either sex, so yes.  :)
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
I will shoot the first adult deer. I don't have the time to be to selective anymore. With a young family and lotsa work to get done. I try and make the most of every time I'm out in the woods,J
TGMM

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
I've got a doe tag and a regular. The first adult doe goes in the freezer. Then I'm looking for Mr. Big.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
If an adult doe offer's first than yes,obviously if it has impresive head gear YES LOL but buttons NO fawns NO and genrally not 1 1/2 yr old bucks I've shot enuff of those and I'm not worried about the freezer either the season is long sorta
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
I won't shoot a fawn this early in the season, maybe toward the end when they put on some weight.  As a fairly new tradshooter any legal buck or doe better think fast or they are in the freezer.  With my compound, I usually let bucks pass unless they were bigger than the previous and waited for does.  With trag gear, until I shot more than the three I have so far, anything is fair game.  In Georgia we get 2 bucks, one any hard antler, one has to be 8pt or better.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
About 100 lbs or better has been my rule with firearms and Ill stay there for my second trad deer.No button bucks for me though.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Yes except really small ones.  Never saw much need in killing one for 20 pounds of meat.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Have passed 6 bucks so far (not gonna burn a tag on a dink this early) and not a single doe has gotten in range of my bow... I'll shoot a young one if I know it's a doe fawn. Nothin eats better.

We've got unlimited doe/fawn permits and I usually try to put about 5 in the freezer... that's what it takes to last all year.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
Meat first, always been the utmost meat hunter-I cannot seem to pass on much unless it is not legal of course.

I think during the rut this year I am gonna try to let some walk and go for headgear. Never killed a big deer.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I shoot the first doe fawn that walks by, our herd is down some and I do not want to kill 3 deer shooting a big adult doe.(they will most likely have twins come June) I like the young ones to eat as well. I make sure it is a doe fawn for sure. I rarely shoot an adult doe until after the rut also, why screw up my rut hunt by killing a doe or two that will bring bucks to me? Sorry guys but big doe's here in NY right now should be a no-no, and the only reason for  the doe fawn to be killed would be for some meat. Shawn
Shawn

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
but the meat is so tender.   :)   it is like eating veal. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
I don't feel the need to shoot everything that walks by anymore, so I guess I've become a little selective in my old age.  My prime targets anymore are mature bucks and does without fawns.  Good size doe fawns are are in trouble, too.  I don't shoot young bucks anymore and an old doe with kids is pretty safe as well.  I want the kids to have her around to teach them how to survive.    :knothead:  

These are my guidelines for me, tho.  What somebody else does with their tags is their business, even when hunting on my small piece of ground.    :archer:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
Each time I head out to bowhunt I'd say to myself: "Gonna take the deer that offers the best or closest shot. Don't care if a buck or doe." But when I see and get close to a group with a buck... I'll let the does pass (within spitting distance) and try for the buck. And ALWAYS get busted! ...   :banghead:   ...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Where I hunt the most, I cant shoot does. I let them all walk. I usually pass on the younger bucks too.
This will be my first trad only year, so I am planning on hunting a few different properties, and if a mature doe offers a shot, I will most likely take it(a shot atleast!lol) unless she has fawns with her.
As for bucks, I think I will attempt to hold out for a nice one roaming here....but I never know til it happens.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
Landowner where the son and I hunt says to kill them all. So we shoot them as they come. If we don't he'll get someone who will. Hap

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Gee.. 10 does in GA, 2 bucks.. (however, my club is 15 in outside +4 pts or better... public land I hunt is in TDM area.. ditto as above...)

80+ lbs w/out a lil fawn=freezer duties... my choice any long nosed doe w/o fawn... but-lil bucks... small does w/fawns, bucks that don't make the wllhanger category, and button bucks get free pass by me... Its like picking tematers... they are much better when they have grown to become ripe on the vine... too early, too late.. just not quite so tasty.....
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I won't draw on a small buck.  Everything else that comes into unobstructed range, I usually will draw on. If the shot "feels right" I take it.  Feeling right can mean a lot of things.  Maybe there is a question on a twig that may or may not be in the way.  Maybe it is a small doe on the first weekend of the season. Maybe it is unusually hot and I have a question on whether I can take care of the meat before it spoils.  A lot of things like that go through my head.  

This weekend I passed up two shots, mainly because it was so early in the season and it was so darn hot I wondered what I would do with the meat before it was out in the heat too long.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©