3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoot the first deer?  (Read 813 times)

Offline Juniper Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoot the first deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »
I have an antlerless and an "A" tag (either-sex for whitetail and buck only for muley around here). The plan is to fill the doe tag with the first good meat doe I can get (no fawns and no scrawny-rib-showing does). So I guess the answer to your question is: Yes.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
I was more selective last year...decided to wait and not shoot any of the does or yearlings.......passed on a ton of deer.  Missed a 7 point cause my bow string hit my binoculars...missed a 10 point out of stupidity...

This year...I don't feel so selective
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline John 4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »
I couldn't care less about antlers,I'm there for the meat and nothing else.
The first adult deer that doesn't have young at foot is what I'm looking for.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:00 AM »
For the last few years I have let the first yearlings and such walk on by on the first hunt of the season ,only to not get another chance all season. lol It's not that I'm waiting for something bigger/better(never been a trophy hunter) it's just that I enjoy being out there when I get the chance, which is not often enough because I mostly work 6 days a week. But, since it's been a few years since I took a deer, coupled with the fact that I can get $12 over the counter antlerless tags, one per day until they run out(and they never run out), my strategy might change. Or maybe I'm just gettin soft.    :knothead:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I've always let does and yearlings pass by.

The result is that I've never got a deer with a bow my freezer has gone empty for many more years then not.

This year I've decided to take the first good shot that presents itself.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
After passing up more than a few shots on decent does, because "there will be plenty of time to get one later" and getting skunked, now I make getting some meat in the freezer first priority. I will shoot the first doe over 100 lbs.

Once was at full draw on a doe while still hunting. she walked right up to me and started blowing, snorting and pawing the ground trying to figure out what I was. Seemed like she was trying to psych me out and make me move. After a minute or so of that, I busted out laughing because it was kind of cute, and I could not shoot her. Should have though, because I didn't get another shot all season.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I have a question, why do ya shoot the bigger does instead of the fawns. most guys complain of lack of sightings and by shooting the big doe's ya kill at least two deer, if not three as they will breed and have at least one fawn. I understand ya get less meat, but shoot two doe fawns than and ya still end up killing fewer deer. I know it is too each his own and I have no problem with what ya shoot, but I do not understand most guys thinking. Shawn
Shawn

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
In Texas 95% of all hunting is on private land.  Each well have there on rules as to what deer can be taken.  I follow those rules to the letter.  

I hunted for many yrs on a ranch that was a doe only archery hunt.  We could shoot to doe's.  The first one had to be a yearling doe.  The next could be a mature doe or a yearling.  If you think 'ol grandmaw is a push over you are wrong.  She is as smart as any buck I have ever seen.

rusty

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Sometimes you can only take one doe. or only one dee for that matter.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I don't shoot any fawns these days...not because I have a problem with it, my hunting priorities have simply changed.  This year I've taken an antelope buck and a dry whitetail doe so far.  Of course, I missed a nice buck (go figure!), but if I get another crack at one, I'll try to make sure my aim matches my opportunity!  And of course...I wouldn't turn down another doe if given the chance.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Early season till about Thanksgiving Mister big only, after that does, spikes rag heads and Mister Big if he shows up
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Where I hunt, I am required to kill a doe before a buck. So, I shoot the first doe I can. Now I am ready for the rut, and will only shoot a big buck. After Thanksgiving, I may take another doe.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
It kind of depends on what the first deer looks like and my mood at the time. Early or late in the year, pretty much any doe is in serious danger of turning into chops and stew meat. But during the rut when the bucks are running hard they may get a pass.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Man...you guys are lucky! Does? Fawns? I'd be hung as a bambi killer out here!!
I think I need to move to a whitetail state...

With our Blacktails I'm selective in the early season but if I don't fill a tag until later then any legal antlered deer is in trouble. I'm usually looking for three points or better...that'd be a six pointer for you whitetail hunters, or an eight if it had eyeguards, which we dont' count as points...but if it gets late then the "legal buck" better watch out. For us that is a minimum of a fork on one side. We call them "ringers" 'cause you can just hang a wedding band on the fork then it's legal.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
The deer herd is doing good here now, so its any antlerless deer for me.  I shot a fawn already this year, easy to drag, easy to cut up, tasted very good, and gave me a great shot.  I'm not going to shoot smaller bucks and I know my chance at a larger one.

Jason

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
The first that gives me a good shot I will shoot at. Once they're processed they all the same.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Shawn, our deer heard in GA is evidently in great shape, hence the limit of 10 does and 2 bucks. This year, every day is a doe day in gun season as well as in the archery season. I guess the DNR actually wants to reduce the size of our deer heard, so killing an adult doe and potentially her next two fawns is a good thing in their eyes. The only reason I will not shoot a fawn right now is because even with my glasses, I can't tell for sure if they are does or bucks. Later in the season when little knobs are more evident and body size has increased some, I'll probably take the shot if I'm positive it is a doe. A spike or buck with a least 4 points on one side and 15" outside is in trouble though. I had a small bodied 10 point within 15 yards last weekend, but he was a basket rack with about a 12" to 13" spread and very little mass. Probably just a year and a half old. Hope he makes it another year or two; he has real potential for this area of the state.The only problem is that I can't make him stay on the land I hunt, and he is a legal buck when he leaves our club.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
I'm shooting the first doe that comes by. Gonna try and hold onto my 2 buck tags til a good deer comes by.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 04:18:00 PM »
This is only my 2nd year with a recurve so anything goes on my land.One place I hunt is like Hap's.The landowner says "kill em all"so that is what I will try to do.The 3rd place I hunt we are able to shoot one small buck.After that we wait for something special.
This year we start with 4 buck tags and 4 doe tags.If you fill your doe tags you can get bonus tags.2 a day all season long.So tags are not a problem , but these   :banghead:   90+ temps are.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
Man...you guys are lucky! Does? Fawns? I'd be hung as a bambi killer out here!!  
I shoot what I want as long as it is legal, the heck with what people think or try to label you as.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©