3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS bows  (Read 1361 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS bows
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
To quote the owner of the Archery Shop "That is the quietest bow I've not heard in my shop in 14 years of operation!"  He was referring to my ACS CX as I was shooting it in the indoor range yesterday.  The bow is totally quiet and is dead in the hand.  It gets the Axis 400 arrows footed with 1916 down range very fast and when I maintain a steady bow arm and get a clean, crisp, static release it groups very well at 20 yards.  At 5, 10 & 15 yards the groups are so tight that I've started aiming at different locations so I won't damage the high priced Axis arrows!

There's a couple of things I have to focus on when shooting the bow to get the accuracy to be consistent.  The grip has to be on the meaty part of the hand below the thumb.  If I heel the bow, the arrows will fly all over the place.  I also have to make sure I maintain a very steady bow arm and get a static release.  If I maintain these three as constants, the bow shoots extremely well.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Now remind me Bill, that's a wood riser 3pc that you're lovin so much, ain't it   :saywhat:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline John Stockman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
I have two of them and consider them at least equal to other top of the line traditional bows.  One of mine is a two piece (with bevel lok) and the other is a three piece.  I personally like the three piece best because of its small recurve like grip.  Conversley, a good friend of mine prefers the two piece with longbow grip.  Both are quiet and fast and shoot a wide variety of shafts well.
John Stockman

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
What are the specs going to be on your bow JC?  Let me take a guess - I'm thinking Ebony Riser, 62", 55# @ 28".  Pretty close????

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
I have a 62" that is 53 # at 28" and I flat out love the way it shoots.  It is as quiet as my Morrison Arapaho and just as smooth.  The carbon limbs scratch really easy so I think they could finish them a bit better.  I am not a boyer but maybe a thicker finish would slow the bow down a bit.  Not a real pretty bow but if you want a very smooth, super fast, and very quiet bow their probably arent to many out there that compare.  I second Bjorn....the Morrison that I have cost alot more than the ACS and worth every penny.  I definitely think your get what you pay for in the ACS.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
I know you guys love these bows and they are sure purty but I showed the one on his web site to my wife for 2 bills with a knife and for 23 years marriage with out getting beat up . I came really close.RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
Another note my buddy Mudfeather got his ACS a month or so ago and built a takedown from binghams a little before that and hunts with his homemade bow. I`m ordering the stuff this week to build me one. Cost about 200 bucks.RC

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2007, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:
Now remind me Bill, that's a wood riser 3pc that you're lovin so much, ain't it    :saywhat:  
JC,

Yes sir, it's a gorgeous piece of Cocobolo.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
With all due respect. I have had several. I have put each one on the scale and have found none that stack all the way to 30"+. Perhaps what some feel is stack is actually just the extra 2-3 pounds per inch. I can not shoot the one I have now as well as some of my other bows (hitting the target), but they are the most efficient power shooting bows I have ever shot.
As far as hitting what you are aiming for, the grip, the weight of the bow, sight widow, etc have as much impact as bow efficiency.
John

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
Greg, 62" cause that's as short as they make em, 60@27 cause that's as heavy as they make em. Zebra wood riser.

RC, Yep, they's high as a cat's back...but after shooting Greg's and Shane's, I've started parting out less desireable bows and cashing in i.o.u.'s to get this one...I think it's that good.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
I have been shooting a CX for about 5 mo. I have been building and shooting my own bows for a while now but wanted to find out if the ACS is as good as the hype. When I first got the bow I wasn't that impressed. There was no eye candy and it didn't seem all that fast to me. I checked with one of my own 3 pcs. longbows of the same # and there was only 9 ft / sec. difference and my bow had a TS1 string.
  The more I shot the CX the more I was impressed with it . NO hand shock and very quiet.
Where the CX really shines is with a heavy arrow. My hunting arrows weight 700 gr. and I have no problem with arrow arching at hunting distances. Are they worth the $ ?  Everyone has an opinion but I think they are the best shooting longbows I have shot to date.
Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
JC,no I'm not on the A&H list and the other list has been very depressing to me.If I hadn't gotten my hummingbird LB in between there's no way I'd still be waiting.The ACS is a very good bow,top of the line,but it isn't the only one just the only one that takes ???YRS to get....no comment on how many besides too many    "[dntthnk]"   and yes a full refund is an option just not the one I signed up for
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Online PhilFloyd

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
If you ask them real nice, they will make one a little heavier than 60#@27".  I have a set of limbs coming that are 63-65#@27".

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
I'm looking at a 62" 58# at 28". I also have a redesigned black swan coming to my house later this week to test. It's getting close to decision time folks. I like a medium to high grip. I'll put arrows thru both and call it
"go-time"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
58#@28 64" Swan? You are getting the use of my new limbs. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Vermonser
Yeah, I hope so. AD told me someone would be cool enough to send me their NEW set to try out.
I hope I like the bow. AD is good people.

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
Vermonser
Yeah, I hope so. AD told me someone would be cool enough to send me their NEW set to try out.
I hope I like the bow. AD is good people.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Phil, NOW you tell me  :banghead:  

We just talked again tonight...I'll call him back tomorrow and see if we can up the weight a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

Swamp, I understand completely...that's why I went the A&H route. Good luck in your quest.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Those are the ones. Let me know how you like them. They are some new belly material that is killer. I could tell you the chrono numbers in PM, but I'll let you see for yourself.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Northern Mist

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
David is soooo right.  I also have the new set of limbs and they do fly at amazing speed !!!!
Let's keep the circle strong,  support one another.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©