3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PHD turkey question-harvest pics page 3  (Read 838 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
PHD turkey question-harvest pics page 3
« on: April 23, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
OK, so I'm in the corner of a fallow crop field last night in my pop up blind. Farmer says a gobbler was strutting in the field in front of my blind the night before (when I wasn't there). This is a historical strut zone.  I put out my two Avian X hen decoys and Avian X quarter strut jake about 12 yards in front of my blind in the field(which is just on the edge of the pine trees bordering the corner).  Soft purrs about every 10-15 minutes on my slate call. A gobbler and a hen (he was drumming and she was squawking) came through behind the blind real close-like 10 yards. I heard them over my left shoulder and as they got behind me, I figured no one was going out to challenge my decoys, so I started squawking right back at the hen to try and get her to come out and challenge her two hen rivals.  No luck and they continued to move slowly off.  

Decoys were placed with Jake facing the blind and one feeding hen and one breeder hen in front of the Jake.

Anything I should have done different? The farmer has already texted me twice today saying there's a gobbler out in front of my blind strutting.         :knothead:      

Will be back there again tonight and then on the weekend all day
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PHD turkey question-harvest pics page 3
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
A lone hen decoy might get him, but it could be a timing issue, too. If he's following her around, could be that he's strutting around early, and when she finds him there, they go hang out...
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
If he struts close enough to your blind for a shot, then don't mess with a good thing by using decoys.  Just sparse, soft calling.  If you need to get him closer, then I agree with rwbowman…use a lone hen.  Good luck!!
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
I don't anything I would have done differently. You just need to catch him without a hen. Toms with hens seldom do what you would like them to. He seems to like the area. Just need to spend a little more time there to catch him when he is lonely is all I think you need to do.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
Dont change a thing! He will be yours shortly!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Time, patience, and a little luck is all you need.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Time, patience, and a little luck is all you need.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
I'm definitely no expert, but if he is strutting in front of your blind when you AREN'T there calling, I'd try just being patient, without any calls.     :archer:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Well he's a tough older bird-about 8" beard. Was around the  blind  for an hour plus tonight. He had a hen  around  and she moved off into the pines behind me.  He strutted about eighty yards out for about fifteen minutes.  He moved in  to about twenty five yards and i thought here we go but then he moved out  to about forty yards again. Will try just hens tomorrow to see if that helps. Will be my first time out in a.m. and see if I can wait him out.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Well he's a tough older bird-about 8" beard. Was around the  blind  for an hour plus tonight. He had a hen  around  and she moved off into the pines behind me.  He strutted about eighty yards out for about fifteen minutes.  He moved in  to about twenty five yards and i thought here we go but then he moved out  to about forty yards again. Will try just hens tomorrow to see if that helps. Will be my first time out in a.m. and see if I can wait him out.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Florida lime:
I'm definitely no expert, but if he is strutting in front of your blind when you AREN'T there calling, I'd try just being patient, without any calls.      :archer:  
Could even go decoy less    :dunno:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I don't know if it is because of pressure in my area, but I find that decoys often spook birds off... occasionally they work well though.

Now you went and got me confused.    :knothead:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
Quality of dekes seem to make a big difference for bow.  Lower quality dekes get them in the vicinity for the shotgun, but to really hold them around the only dekes that I have seen/heard consistently do that are the high quality Avian and DSDs.

Good luck.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 01:37:00 AM »
He obviously remembers your setup, give it a different look. Try adding another hen to your setup, or remove the Jake, call softly with a different call, or striker.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 03:00:00 AM »
Ray, Loose the decoys... Sleep in, and try to catch him without a hen with him. It's almost impossible to call a hened up Gobbler away from her... Sit in the blind & when you're sure he's not around, give 2 or 3 series of hen yelps. Then set your call down & don't touch it!!! When he hears her... He will come looking! When he sees the empty field, he'll come to the strutt zone & start strutting & gobbling to call her back. Just, wait him out... OR, you could use a single strutting Jake decoy, and gobble at him..... Bring him in looking to whip the snot outa the punk kid that's using HIS strutt zone!!! Good Luck!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I wouldn't change a thing about your setup, I just killed my first Trad turkey this year, and I did it by using 2 hens and 1 jake decoy (all Feather Flex) The tom came straight in to the jake decoy and started pushing it around until an arrow ended his morning. Be patient...it will happen!
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
I think the key words here are "Strutt Zone".....

Ray's blind is overlooking a well established strutt zone. If the Tom has a hen, or hens with him... He has no need to go there, and all the decoys in the world, nor the sweetest calling ever heard, will bring him in...

He has to "need" to go to that strutt zone, before he will. He has to be alone, and have no hens in sight... This is why the farmer keeps telling Ray that he's seen him out strutting in front of his blind. The farmer keeps reporting a lone Tom, in the afternoon/evening... The Gobbler probly meets up with a hen in the morning. Then, after they're "done" she leaves him flat & heads off to nest. He's all alone, and heads off to find a new girlfriend... To his strutt zone, to sing & dance around, and hopefully get lucky again!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
Check out my post on pg 2 of the "How many have killed Turkeys" thread...

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I like having one hen on the ground like she is receptive for breeding, with the jake right over her.However, some days no matter what you do some turkeys just won't play the game.  Then a few days later they run right in.  Keep at it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
How close is "right in front of your blind"?  The farmer's "close" may not be "bow close".
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©