3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PHD turkey question-harvest pics page 3  (Read 837 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PHD turkey question-harvest pics page 3
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
This has been a very interesting year so far.  I started by buying a DSD Submissive Jake to relapse my aging decoys.  The first couple days I hunted I had birds hang up but I am not sure they saw my decoys (jake and 2 hens).  The last three days I have used just the Jake and no hens.  I killed a nice bird last weekend with a roller bow miss  a shot opportunity one day and today missed a Jake twice:(  with my Longbow.  I am really having trouble taking my eyes of the head and picking a spot on the body.  I catch my eyes wandering.  I have a few very dedicated Turkey hunters and the lone Jake or strutter for some reason has been getting attention.  Go figure.
T ZZZZ

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
I spent 5 days in Texas using the Avian X decoys and had mixed results. Early mornings while the Toms ere still following the hens around the hens would come in close, but the gobblers hung up and circled around....

late afternoon i had one gobbler come right in but he busted me in my brush blind moving my bow into position.... The next time i try that turkey hunting i'll be using a pop up blind.

i do think the lone gobblers in the afternoons are more susceptible to the decoys.... or it seemed so in my case.... i tried the lone hen and pulled the jake one morning and got the same results.  the gobblers hung up and did a lot of calling, but wouldn't come in past 30 yards.....

5 days just wasn't enough time to get it going this trip.....But i gave her a good shot.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
First off, thank you all for the comments. First I'm happy to report I've earned a bachelor's degree and put a nice six inch beard gobbler this morning. It wasn't the long beard that's been my nemesis this week, but a nice bird. My nemesis did show up this morning at half hour after shooting light. He worked two hundred yards across the field and hung up at fifty yards. My first configuration was a feeding hen right up next to the blind and theJake and second hen in the breeding position about twelve yards out facing the blind. I was thinking this would pissed him off. Well he gobbled his head off but wouldn't commit. Off he went.  Gobblers were sounding off and the it went quiet.  Next I got out of the blind  moved both hens up close and put the Jake out at thirty five yards thinking it would be like duck hunting and I'd create a landing zone. Well he comes back through and moves through just on the outside of the Jake at forty five yards strutting and gobbling the whole way and moved off again. So I moved the decoys again. Jake at about twenty and hens at seven. Here comes more gobbling. Can't see him yet out the front window but sounds close. It's multiple gobblers and the three of them march right up to the jake and start trashing him. One of them stopped long enough and took a Kustom King Trailmaker broadside at twenty one yards from my 1971 Super Kodiak. It actually looked like the arrow bounced off of him and he flopped over dead in fourteen yards. The arrow actually penetrated five inches out the other side and broke the hip bone. His wing snapped the carbon arrow off and it looked like it bounced off.  
The moral of the story is that the older bird was just a little more cautious and experienced. The three amigo's were looking to trash the young upstart with the two lady friends.
With only one day left in our short season three birds in the hand was more likely than  an old bird in the bush. Pictures to come soon.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Patience pays off !  :thumbsup:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Hmmmm double post.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Well done Ray    :thumbsup:

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Congrats!!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 05:42:00 AM »
Congrats Ray! I got the last season this year. I'm really starting to get pumped.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
Congrats!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2015, 08:13:00 AM »
Nice work!!!!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
So here are some pictures.  1971 Super Kodiak with original limb covers.  Easton Axis arrows with Kustom King Trailmaker heads.  This is the same arrow point combination that I took my fall gobbler with last year.  Deadly combination for me.  On the autopsy picture attached, you can see the white leg/hip bone piece sticking out a little. The head broke this on the way out of the bird.  43# bow, turkeys are tough.

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]  

Here's my final setup. The hen decoy up front with another hen decoy off to the left in the shadow that is not in the picture. The Jake Decoy in the middle and then the two gobblers behind it that came in with my dead bird laying in the background.  The jake decoy is at 21 yards from the front of my popup blind which is on the other side of the service drive leading around the edge of the field.  The two gobblers are standing at about the closest point that the big boy ever came to my setup.  My daughter Morgan will be hunting with me during the third season hunt period in two weeks so we'll see what the birds are doing then.

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Nice bird and pics! Congrats!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Congrats!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Sorry Ray, almost forgot!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Thanks gentleman for the kind comments. In northern MI, our seasons are a roll of the dice, in my opinion. Our first two hunt periods are 1 week each and then the third hunt is a 3 week long period where anyone not drawn for the first two get to hunt.  The weather for the first hunt can be iffy and you have to put in for the permit by February 1. If you have bad weather for the week, especially the weekend if you can only hunt then, you may miss out on a chance for a bird. Fortunately for me, the nasty weather was early in the week.  The plus side is that you're hunting uneducated birds. While I was able to get close on a couple of evening hunts, Saturday was truly a glorious spring day to be in the woods. Sunny, crisp and no wind.  I felt comfortable getting in and out of the blind to change up decoys because I was able to track gobblers by sound (however they can always slip in silently). Even though I didn't bag the 'nemesis', I still had fun trying and it was a learning experience-what more could I ask for.

Good luck to those still out in the woods and hopefully, as the original thread title indicated, I just wanted to share ideas back and forth on scenario's and what could be done different. It certainly is a nice way to bridge the gap until the fall hunting seasons come around and the bonus is I have an opportunity to get out with my daughter during the last hunt.        :thumbsup:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Congratulations Buddy, you're getting to be one heck of a turkey killer. We might have to change your camp nickname to   "Big Turkey"    :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Hey Ron, I hope last falls bird and this one are not isolated instances.  Before that I was one bird in 13 years, which I hardly believe puts me in the 'turkey killer' category.  

As for you, get after that long beard you were telling me about. The northern faction of the Shrewhaven gang was 2 for 2 last week. If by chance your turkey has a 9" or greater beard, Greg and I will concede bragging rights.    ;)

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Congrats Ray!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Thanks Allen,

Hard to see in the picture,but that's one of your string builds (with Bow Hush silencers). GREAT product for those of you who use vintage bows and want a B-55 string.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
Nice bird! Congrats!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©