3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 blade broadhead for hogs ?  (Read 447 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
3 blade broadhead for hogs ?
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Hey guys, I want to give 3 blade broadheads a try. I've got a hog hunt in a few weeks and it would be a good opportunity to test the penetration of a 3 blade on a hog.

I am really leaning towards the vpa 200 grain 3 blade broadheads. I feel they would be practically indestructible and I have heard great things about them.  

Would you recommend the 1 1/8" or the 1 1/4" cut vpa for hogs ?  I'm not expecting to get any large hogs but you never know what might happen.

I also have some 160 grain snuffers that I could use.  Would those be too large for adaquate penetration on a hog ?

My set up is a 57# super Kodiak with a 515-575 grain arrow with around 20% FOC.

Let me know what you guys think.  Thanks, SS

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 blade broadhead for hogs ?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
160 grain Woodsman Elite (same head as VPA).  Total penetration, 58 pounds.  610 grain arrow.  SHARP and GREAT ARROW FLIGHT are the keys.  

I use file, coarse stone, fine stone, cardboard, then leather.  Tuning is the other key.  I use bare shaft method.  I am sold on these two things.  Sharp and get the arrow flying great.  This is my first hog with a recurve and I know the setup was as ideal as I could tune it.  

In all the years of shooting at them, I also got my first hog with total arrow  penetration...

VPA is one of, if not the top BH designs out there IMHO  

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
I agree 100% with dragonheart. I'm always happy to see multi-blade heads in friend's quivers. I'm 10 for 10 (my last ten)on hogs with a three blade Woodsman or VPA.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
I say use them Snuffers since you got them on hand. That 160 Snuffer is a bad mama-jamma!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
I really like the VPA my choice is a 250 with 1-1/4" widht
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
Yep dragonheart hit the nail on the head. I used the 3 blade VPA for the last couple years and really liked them. I killed 1 doe and 2 bucks with them. I only problem was I couldn't get them sharp enough, I'm not blaming the BH for that at all. I could get sharp enough to shave some hair off my air but not like a razor. I recently switched to RMSG's Cutthroat single bevel heads. I bought a pack and I can get them razor sharp. I haven't taken shot one at an animal yet so I can't comment on that.

I believe the VPA or Snuffers will serve you just fine.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
If you are going to use a 3 blade, that is a great choice.  I have killed some very large hogs with them, but don't expect a pass through on a large hog unless you are going through the guts.  Same can be said for a 2 blade though.  Most times you get slowed down or stopped on the offside shoulder.

I would not be afraid to use that setup to go hog hunting in any situation, but if I was specifically chasing a large heavy shielded boar, I would opt for a quartering shot or use a 2 blade.  BTW, those vpa heads sharpen up great.  I have killed hogs with both head, and you won't go wrong with either a 1 1/4 or 1 1/8" head, but for large hogs I personally would chose the 1 1/8".  No matter what you chose, the key to a good blood trail is hitting them in the right spot.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
I have used 160 grain Snuffers with good results, most were total penetration.  Even do and end to end on a 150# boar with a 67# Big River recurve.  Have some 190 grain Instinct heads that I'll try next time out.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »
I have been using the 200 grain VPA for deer.  Nice heads and very easy to keep sharp.
T ZZZZ

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:19:00 AM »
Never had a problem with penetration with a muzzy...

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
I've used WW for years with great results on hogs with bows from 38 to 60 pounds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
This hog was taken with a 3 blade 200 gr Grizzly Instinct on a 580 gr Surewood fir arrow from a 50 lb @26" Toelke Whip.  We figured him to be 175-200 lb with a shield that was about 1 1/4" thick.  The Instinct cut thru the shield to the other side of the chest.  It did not exit but did a great job.  It left and easy blood trail with a 60 yard recovery.

The VPA's are great heads as well and you will have no issues with your setup.  I'd go for the heavier arrows in your posted range.

The shield is some incredibly tough stuff; broadhead sharpness makes a big difference in getting thru it.

Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©