3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Longbow [PL] Honeymoon over!  (Read 2476 times)

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow Longbow [PL] Honeymoon over!
« on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Tell me about the good the bad and the ugly about them, if you owned one and still have one that you use. I would be using one for 3-D and indoor leagues not to hunt with. I talked to Rodger and he recommended 64" length and 35# to 40# at 28. I'm considering the try before you buy before ordering one. Just wanted to hear your experience with the one you still have or of the one you let go! Never shot one my buddy and I will test drive one to see!

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Longbow [PL] Honeymoon over!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
I would recommend the test drive. I had one very well made bow just not for me.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
I have a 66" LH PLX that I bought from Denny Sturgis Sr. It has the Toby grip that I really like. He sold it because he prefers the standard grip, like many people, so a test drive is a smart option.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I've had mine for several years.  Loved it when I first got it, and 10x more now.  I have a Toby grip on mine.  I can't imagine not having it, it is far and away my favorite bow of any of the many I've shot.  I shoot it nearly every day.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Has been my go to bow for several years. Toby grip , Osage. Have taken 2 Bears and several deer with it. Smooth drawing and shoots where I look. I like it so much I bought another one , a take down.
Great bow
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
I have a PLX with the Toby grip and a PSRX also with the Toby grip, they are the same weight and the plx is 64", the psrx is 60" and love them both. They are NOT leaving my stall.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
I have a light one 43# I think, Toby grip. Grip is a bit fat for me but it is a great performing bow.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
I had a PLX that was sweet, but I sold it in a moment of weakness.    :banghead:

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Best shooting bow I have ever shot. Draw is smooth and its flat shooting at #50 with my Beman Centershot arrows. The Toby grip with the beaver tail leather grip I feel is the best. My bows are all 64" which feel just right at my 28" draw. Also do yourself the favor and get the take down for the extra bucks. I have both take down and one piece and you wouldn't know the difference between the two in the way they shoot and the way they look but the take down could come in handy if you travel. The Black Widow folks are a true pleasure to deal with and always willing to do what it takes to make people happy. I bought three PLX longbows over the past few months and have my Black and White Ebony PLX set to arrive on Monday. I'll post some pictures when it arrives.

Ron

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
I like 'em. Especially the Toby grip. Looking for one now.

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Had an LAG that I shot from 1993 to 2006 which delaminated because I hung it on a set of moose antlers and they fell off the wall hitting the bottom limb and loosening the glue.  I found a used PLX the next week and bought it.  Have been shooting it since.  I like the newer standard grip on the PLX better than the old fat grip on the LAG, although they both shoot very good.  The LAG was 64", and the PLX is 66".  If something happens to the PLX I think I would order a new one with the standard grip 64".  After 22 years I still haven't shot a longbow I like any better than the Black Widow.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
You'll never regret buying one. I had one come in yesterday that my wife bought me for my birthday. I have 3 PLX longbows, 2 are the same specs so I'll likely be selling one before to long.

In my opinion the widows are like most things in life, you get what you pay for. I would definitely do the try before you buy program, if for no other reason to compare the grips. If you go with the beaver tail wrap on grip, the thickness of the tail makes a lot of difference. Make sure and let them know and they will accommodate you with a thick tail for a larger grip or vise versa. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I think they are excellent bows, I have had several, most were PLV's. the things I like are the mass weight and the usual bullet proof construction, performance is good but not outstanding, but they do tune easily.  I like the standard grip with beaver tail a lot, my current one is a 64" PLV take down  its my go to bow for sure... everyone is different, see what they have close to what you are wanting and try it out.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
I had the PLV and it was a fine shooter, just got a bit heavy for me so I traded it but very fine bow.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BHall

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I have a 2pc PLX 66" 52#@31" w/ Toby grip.  My only regret is not getting one sooner.  I've had enough bows to fill a pickup bed.  That doesn't make me an expert but hopefully I learned something along the journey.  The PL's have a bunch of fiberglass in the riser so they are stout as an ox.  Mine is exceptionally smooth, has good speed, great cast, beautiful to look at, excellent stability and tunes easily.  I shoot it more consistently than any bow I've owned.  With a 31" draw and big body I'm hard on bows.  This bow handles it like a champ.   I'm shooting 11gpi and it hits like a hammer.  The customer service level at Black Widow is as good as it gets.  There may be bows out there that do one or two things as well or better but the attributes of the PLX as a whole can't be beat in my book.

Offline Recurve Amigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
I just got a PLV 62" 45@27

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
Recurve Amingo, Post some pictures!Good point on the Beaver tail grip wrap! Does anyone have the Graybark or Autumn Oak? I do have to say the Iron wood looks fine! I'm looking for performance not top but something very good! These seam to be fitting the bill from the comments I'm reading. I should have one in my hands on Wednesday 64" #40 @ 28 to try out. I'm hoping 1916 or 2016 will work for now.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
I love my takedown PLx. Mine is a 62" 60# @ 28" and I draw right at 27.5". The Pl  longbows are some of the best shooting longbows if not the best I have ever shot. They shoot extremely hard and fast even with heavy arrows and have zero handshock a a draw that is so smooth it feels like your draw weight is much lighter than what it actually is.
James Kerr

Offline Recurve Amigo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
[/url] [/IMG]   [/url] [/IMG]

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

shoes and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©