3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool for warm weather?  (Read 697 times)

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool for warm weather?
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I am in the process of switching over my hunting garb to wool products.  I am in the mountains of western NC. I would like to get a light weight wool that I could wear all season if possible.  September can have temps in the 80's and same for april and may. I would wear cotton but the weather changes fast and we see some heavy rains. I would hate to be stuck in the woods shivering in wet cotton.

Anyone know of any products that could help me?  I am thinking of sewing some fake leaves on to help with my outline as well. I might grab an Asbell pullover for the cooler months.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Wool for warm weather?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
First Lite makes some very nice lightweight wool pants in solid and camo colors.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I looked at First Lite and they have some nice product but maybe a little too rich for my blood this year.

I have some US army surplus wool pants and field shirt.  I think they might be a little warm for early september temps. I might have to give them a try in another month when temps get up here.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
For the warmer days, I personally like the Core4element that you can get at bargain prices that come up on camofire.com, but lots of good ones out there.

IMHO, I would get a 1/4 zip to open up when exerting yourself.  You can cool off better if you can open a zipper.

Be patient they come up fairly often on camofire.com.  Right now they have the mid-weight ones that would give you an idea of the product.  I personally wear two lighter weight ones when it get cold instead of getting the mid to heavy weights.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Dry wool dress pants from Good Will or other second hand stores. They are usually pretty light weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Another way of looking at it is that if you invest in wool it will last a long time and the actual cost per year of being clothed is probably cheaper in the long run.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Dry wool dress pants from Good Will or other second hand stores. They are usually pretty light weight.
This is what I wear in the early season.  They are comfortable, quiet and warm and if I tear them on a barb wire fence, it isn't a big deal.  Get them big enuf so they allow you to move sit and crouch.  Drawbacks are the belt loops tend to be small and you aren't likely to find any with cargo pockets.  Also look for wool shirts and lightweight sweaters.

Water wash this wool gentle cycle and warm or cold and hang to dry and it doesn't shrink.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
The First Lite Kanab pants are great for warm weather all the way through to cold weather with some layering underneath. They are certainly worth the money.

Ron

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I've been using First Lite's wool here in Hawaii.

Here's a link to some images in 2015.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142765;p=1

Aloha!

Ryan

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
Anybody have one of the lightweight Asbells? Wondering if a lightweight zip up would work for the warm weather. Price and quality seem to be great and people can't say enough good stuff about the Asbell's.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Definitely check out First Lite!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I might have to suck it up and pinch the pennies so I can pick up some First Lite at the end of the summer.  I love that wool is an investment that lasts. I tend to walk through the thorns rather than around and even ripstop material gets tore up in a couple seasons. Thanks for the great info!

Still would like to hear some feedback on Asbell lighter weight wool.  Wish they made some pants!

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Saving money on cheap clothing loses its luster when you are wet, cold, and miserable in a tree and you have another hour until it is time to get down.  Been there done that.  No more.  As others have mentioned, some of the pricier gear can be bought online at highly discounted rates.  I have seen some Sitka gear products discounted at close to 50% on Camofire.com.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 06:43:00 PM »
Use your head... Just think wool!!!

Light wool dress pants & light Merino wool sweaters,from the GoodWill are GREAT!!!!!   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
Kuiu has a real thin branded shirt that is pretty cheap. I night one and plan on using it all summer for camping and fishing.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
I use military dress pants, you can usually get them at army/ navy or surplus outfits. They work great are light weight and very durable. I have two pair of pants, I paid $15 each for them. They are usually foreign military, ie german, sweden or canadian.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
The wool pants that I got are Swedish military. They are the highest grade wool pants that I have ever found, but they are a long way from being warm weather garb. I have Pendleton marino and Filsens that works from 55 degree deer hunts to chilly mornings and warm afternoons on Canadian canoe trips.  My lighter wool pants are LL Bean bird hunting pants, that are no longer available.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
My input on Asbell wool....I have a light/medium weight zip up in evening stand green that I absolutely love. However, I wouldn't dream of wearing it on an 80 degree day. It's perfect for chilly days...but it would sweat me to death on a hot day.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Wool at 80 degrees, yikes. That's when cotton shines for me.  I can hardly stand even light wool when it's in the 50s.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
Wool really "shines" in dampness...

Wool in hot weather, will not "cling" to your skin as cotton does. Allowing your perspiration to evaporate, causing a cooling to your skin. On a hot day, a loose fitting wool shirt, is not as "hot" as many would think... Especialy if you need to cover skin to prevent sunburn.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©