3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur or Toelke Whip HS  (Read 1335 times)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Centaur or Toelke Whip HS
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
IHSIANG know both bows are great if not fantastic what I would like to know in your own opinion which bow would you choose.

I have been thinking about something with little to no hand shock, feels good to about 29" draw, and yes speed would be good also but not high on my list.

Also with either bow would longer length make a better shooting bow with what I want in a bow.

I have watched some videos on the Centaur and the gentleman was shooting a 58" 50#@28" and he thought it might be faster with a 62" Centaur. Thanks for your replies.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur or Toelke Whip HS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
I have shot both and I feel the Centaur is a little harder to shoot but it is faster pound for pound.  Toelke will be quieter and I prefer the grip
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Everybody is going to feel different about every bow out there. For me I chose the Centaur cause it is just right for me. I own five of them. Both are great bows...same basic design...come in similar lengths and both bowyers are fantastic to work with. The Centaur is faster. The Whip is quieter. I like Dans take down sys better than Jims just because of the way it looks. Both can make any grip you want if you can convey it to them. Both are just beautiful. Jim and I just hit it off well and he knows what I like. The Whip was a lot harder for me to shoot, it just felt twitchy to me in comparison. The only way for you to know which is best for YOU is to shoot both. One other thing that may or may not make a difference to you is the wait....Whip is weeks..the Centaur is close to a year.   Good luck
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I have a Whip and had a Centaur, both 62".  I never shot them side by side so I can't say one is quicker than the other, but I shoot the Whip better and it is definitely quieter.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Guess I didn't answer a couple of your questions...sorry. Both bows  are prey much shock free at the shot. As far as length, Ive only had two Whips both 64" and you can get them in 66" too I think. The longest you can get a Centaur is 62". The Centaur at 62" you can draw out to 32" or something like that so at 28" it is a dream. I can also say at 28" if you blindfolded yourself and shot a 58 a 60 and a 62 inch you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
I have never owned a Centaur so I can not give you a good comparison between the two but I do have two HS Whips and can't say enough about them.  Both of mine are 64" and I draw 29", they are extremely quiet and more than fast enough. Another thing to consider is the Centaur will probably take about a year to get while the whip will take around a month. If you want to PM me an e-mail address I'll send you a couple of pics. Good luck, Greg

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
The others pretty much have it covered. Both in glass models I bet they are really close in speed with maybe a slight edge to the Centaur. In stock trim I think Toelke uses pretty materials, and I think Centaurs have a better grip.  Toelke is definitely quiter but the Centaur has more options as far as stippling, engraving, inlays, etc.  If I had the money and we're looking for a longbow I'd call Toelke today and order a 64" Whip T/D, and have him put a Chinook grip on it.  The Chinook grip and Centaur grip are very similar.  However, if a 62" glass centaur with smooth grip between 45-50 pounds ever shows up in the classifieds you better be fast to buy it before I do.  It's a win/win really.  Order a Toelke today and shoot it in about a month and get on Jim's list so you can shoot a Centaur next year.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 08:26:00 AM »
I have had two centaurs.  They were the fastest bows I owned.  I recently got a toelke whip and it is so smooth and so forgiving.  I feel like the whip tightened my groups and is plenty fast.  The centaurs were a little harder for me to tune but still they are great bows.  Its a toss up really.  Its what you want out of the bow i guess!  I'd go with a whip right now but I flip flop on the bows I shoot on a day to day basis!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
I've also shot both. The feedback here is all good. Two small points I'll offer as reminders: The standard grips on both are quite different, so consider that when ordering. I tend to have the same preferences in bows as Biathalonman, and agree that I'd have Dan craft a more articulated grip on the Whip.

Length is the other consideration. I like at least a 62" for my 28" draw in a Whip.. Would like to try a 64". The Centaur I had was very smooth at 60", and I'd think about even a 58".
Different designs.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
IHSIANG don't know where that word came from, thank God we have computers to help us spell. :-)

I want to thank you guys for your replys. Having shot the Whip I felt it was a very good bow I guess I'll have to see about trying a Centaur.

If I had the money I wouldn't have a problem I could buy both, oh well.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
If I could only choose between the two I would choose the Centaur, both bowyers are brilliant, just push comes to shove I love a Centaur.  And IMHO, its not that the Toelke is quieter, its just the carbon lams in the carbon Centaurs changes the tone of the shot to a little higher pitch is all.  Shoot a glass Centaur it will be as quiet as a Whip.  Speed wise, 'whatevs', yes the Centaur is the more aggressive design, but both bows will shoot outstanding either way.  If you want a carbon bow, you will find none better than the Centaur.  If you want a more 'classic' "warm" bow with a little more deep core slightly narrower limbs a Toelke might be your jive.  Its Benz vs Beemer here.  No wrong choice.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©