3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching noise  (Read 373 times)

Offline Recurve Amigo

• Trad Bowhunter
fletching noise
« on: April 25, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Im using the shield cut feathers and notice they are noisy, and suggestions on feathers.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching noise
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
Most say parabolic a quieter,but if you get your arrows tuned really well you won't hear much difference.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
I find that shields and especially high cut shields commonly make a bit of noise, parabolics are consistently quiet.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Feather height and condition have more to do with making noise than shape, though shields are a tad louder than parabolic. I've been using shields for about 40 years.  Can't say the small noise they make has ever cost me a critter, well, maybe a squirrel or two.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
Shields are a little noisier but much cooler looking, imo. Real wild turkey feathers are usually stiffer and quieter in shield cut for me. I run 4x4".

Squirrels and other small critters usually react to the noise pretty darn fast. At least that's my excuse and sticking with it, lol.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I got some 5inch by 5/8th inch shield cut feathers and boy they are really loud in flight and in the quiver compared to my 5 inch by  1/2 inch tall hand cut feathers.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
It don't matter what cut you use for feathers, the animal will still hear it.

It's when they are raising their heads to listen to what that noise is that you hope your arrow gets there before they identify just what that noise is. :-)

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
maybe your arrow is to light/fast? or slightly out of tune?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Sticksntones got me started with EFOC arrows. I watched a video on fletching up these arrows with front mounted boat anchors and the author recommended a mini delta shaped feather with a rear edge perpendicular to the shaft. If you ever get a chance to visit the Air and Space museum in Wash D.C., take a look at the X-15 that was used to break the speed of sound. I expected a super streamlined vertical stabilizer with a razor sharp rear edge. Instead it's a really thick trailing edge perpendicular to the fuselage. I tried it (2 1/4" feather with vertical rear edge) and I have to say it's the quietest arrow I've ever shot. Granted I'm hard of hearing (my wife says deaf), but I can't hear anything when that arrow flies and I can hear my shield and parabolic fletched arrows. Just something to think about.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©